Newbie to LR3 - 06 HSE vs. SE Difference

B

britrover

Hello Discoweb Members !

I use to own a Disco II so am familiar with LR but don't know anything about the LR3. We are in the market for a LR3 and have looked at a few 06 LR3 on the web in our area.

I am trying to find out the differences between the 06 V8 SE and the V8 HSE models. The SE''s are $3-5K less in price and some of them have the xenon''s, 3rd row seat and the navigation thus I am confused as to why the SE''s are so much cheaper vs. the HSE.

I also wanted to find out if there are any recalls or TSB''s avaliable for the 06 model.

Cheers

drafdog

Aug 10, 2007
When the LR3 first came out, there was a shortage of HSE, so many dealers ordered fully loaded SE. Maybe there are more loaded SE for sale over the "rarer" HSE that account for part of the price difference. Who knows???

There are a couple of differences between the HSE and loaded SE that may account for some of the price difference:

6 way adjustable seats in the SE vs the 8 way adjustable in the HSE
Better stereo / more speakers in HSE
I think Adaptive headlights were only available in HSE (maybe it was standard??)
19" rims vs 18 in SE

Last edited:
C

CoyGlasscock

I maybe wrong, but I think the HSE came with 19" wheels, where as the SE V8 came with 18" wheels and the V6 came with 17" wheels.

18" wheels are bad enough but try and stay away from 19" wheels for off-road.

You can go back to a 17" wheel on the V8 if you change the rotors and brake mounting braket.

RVRSRVC

May 7, 2004
Elizabethtown, PA
www.roverlab.com
Adaptive headlights, heavy duty package-fullsize spare and electric rear locker, 19" wheels, ICE,; I have an 06 HSE and am very impressed with the car although I did come from a 95 SWB RRC, so it's like night and day!
At 30k, I needed a front differential, but has never left me stranded.
Ck out www.landrovertechinfo.com for a summary of recalls and tech bulletins. It's a subscription service if you want the full document.

C

CoyGlasscock

I have the Adaptive Headlights on my 05 SE V8 and the HD package.

sideview

Oct 27, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
See if this link works LR3 2006 specs It isn't the prettiest because it's from the archive.

A lot of the options that came standard in the HSE were options in the SE. Some features weren't available in SE. The 550W HK would be nice, and some of the other features too, but nothing I'd lose sleep over myself...depends on what you like.

B

britrover

Thanks for your input Mates !

We picked up our 06 LR3 HSE White with Alpaca interior yesterday. It is fully loaded with every option. I have to admit that it does not drive anything like my old Disco II but this is my wifes car and she liked it the best based on driving experience, amenities and cargo room(we have three big dogs).

She traded her 05 Touareg (The funny part is when I had posted on the Touareg forum asking about the truck I got a pm from someone who owns the V10 Touareg and the LR3 and he told me that the LR3 is so much better vs. the Touareg. he was right for sure)

Cheers

wax

Sep 17, 2008
britrover said:

I have to admit that it does not drive anything like my old Disco II but this is my wifes car and she liked it the best based on driving experience, amenities and cargo room(we have three big dogs).

Cheers

Sh*t... The LR3 is a Cadillac compared to the DII... i never drive my 99 DII anymore...:D

RVRSRVC

May 7, 2004
Elizabethtown, PA
www.roverlab.com
I bought the LR3 to replace the 95 RRC Short (although I still have that one for a total of 4 Rovers) and the amount of cargo space with the seats folded flat was one of the deciding factors. Dogs, kids, rover parts, etc.. That, and the ride quality, the relative lack of wind noise, the improved fuel economy over the RRC, the amenities, the stereo.

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
britrover said:

We picked up our 06 LR3 HSE White with Alpaca interior yesterday. It is fully loaded with every option. I have to admit that it does not drive anything like my old Disco II but this is my wifes car and she liked it the best based on driving experience, amenities and cargo room(we have three big dogs).

She traded her 05 Touareg (The funny part is when I had posted on the Touareg forum asking about the truck I got a pm from someone who owns the V10 Touareg and the LR3 and he told me that the LR3 is so much better vs. the Touareg. he was right for sure)

Cheers

Who told you that? Might have been me? We sold the V10 recently and I told it like it is on the Touareg forum. The V10 beats rover under the hood and on the hwy, and at high speed off road but that's about it.

B

britrover

I think it was you (and you were right Mate).....we really prefer the Rover over the Touareg. I am actually blown away by the cargo space and headroom in this SUV.

Your location however is different in the Touareg forum ( now you are in my area vs. Seattle)

jwestpro

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
Stalker! ;p

I'm in both places but started in NC hence the rover location. I have rovers in three states though, my d2 in nc, d1 in ND with mom and the lr3 in Seattle which makes trips back to nc periodically.

I really miss the V10 engine and handling, a lot, but otherwise it was useless, might as well have a wagon. In fact, I replaced it with an Audi S4 avant which has just as much space inside, at least that it would get used for, and is way more fun to drive. The s4 is the daily and the lr3 can now slow down on the mileage. I'm not sure I want to take the lr3 to 200+ like the d1.

I've heard rumors that the 2012 or so lr3 will finally get a little more of an engine. Maybe stock no one notices but with all the shit on mine it sort of sucks. I think the wind resistance is a large part of that factor but 12mpg is pretty sad for "modern" technology.