Detroit locker

mikelambert1987

Feb 22, 2007
Just a question, how difficult is it to install a locker by yourself or with a friend?

Also on a seperate note can anyone point out where water could be coming in by the headliner on the top left part of the car by the windshield. could it be winshield seal?

Thanks, mike

MontrealRR90

May 21, 2004
Montreal,Canada
1- If you do not have the tools and knowledge don't touch that job.
2- water comes in buy the windshield seal on mine anyways.I will be pulling out the carpet next week.probably needs to have the seal completely redone on mine.
i have a D1.

mikelambert1987

Feb 22, 2007
Thanks for the input. Does anyone have a link on how it is done though. I've got a mechanics toolset and stuff just not alot of knowledge of differentials but I would like to try.

RichardS

May 2, 2005
Maryville, TN
If you are just dropping in a locker and not changing gears you might want to give it a try, but you will need some special tools like a dial indicator to measure backlash and a special spanner for tightening the diff assembly into the carrier. You could get by with a punch and a hammer but it is really better to be able to use a toque wrench. If you have access to a welder you can make such a tool from some scrap steel and bolts.

If you plan to do this again in the future and do not mind buying/making the tools then give it a try. If you think this is a one time deal then I'd say pay someone to do it.

If you are doing the diff and new gears, and have never done diff work before, I'd say pay someone to do it. I am usually all for doing things myself, but IMO learning on the Rover diffs is probably not worth your time or the investment in tools. To change/shim the pinion you will need more special tools to remove/install the pinion bearings and races (most likely including a press), plus a micrometer and an inch-pound torque wrench to check the pinion preload.

I had experience doing Dana diffs in the past and the Rover diffs were still a PITA, I had them in and out several times to get them set up quiet. By comparison, the Danas I worked on were always quiet the first time I set them up. The Rover gears are harder to read a pattern from than anything I've worked with in the past. Several times the pattern looked good and backlash was in spec but would whine when I drove it. Big PITA pulling the diffs back out and reshimming/adjusting to get rid of the noise.

For comparison, the Rover setup is much closer to the Toyotas than Danas, here are some Toy links (just ignore the crush sleeve bit, Rover diffs do not have those):

http://www.gearinstalls.com/
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/gear_setup/

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
If you haven't had someone who knows how to set-up a third show you how do to it right, do not attemtp this. Even with the right tools, it's almost a art getting the proper set-up...shops out here charge $300 and it's worth every penny...I tried it, took me a day and still wasn't happy so I took a shop...

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
If you're not changing out the R&P I say have a crack at it yourself.

I'm not sure what this "special tool" you'll need is?
Just get a dial indicator from www.thetoolwarehouse.net and some pattern paste.

If you've got the time you might as well have a crack at it yourself. If you get frustrated you can tap-out and take it to a shop, but you'll learn a lot of valuable field repair tech just by trying.

I put a detroit in the rear of the disco the first time completely by myself with only web instructions and it came out perfect.

Not that big a deal.

Sooner or later you're going to have to do something much harder than this so don't make a differential install the upper limit of your abilities without even trying.

super-poser

Apr 21, 2004
Western NC
I just did my front and rear and it is not a big deal. Just make sure you allow a lot of time for setting it up. I would recommend buying a shop manual also, it will lead you through it. :D :D Charles

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Mongo said:
If you haven't had someone who knows how to set-up a third show you how do to it right, do not attemtp this. Even with the right tools, it's almost a art getting the proper set-up...shops out here charge $300 and it's worth every penny...I tried it, took me a day and still wasn't happy so I took a shop...
Did you change R&P or just dropped in a locker?

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
r&p and locker...in the end it was that i didn't have the right shims...stupid, but didn't want to blow out the diff..

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
R&P is a different job. Just dropping in a locker only requires the backlash adjustment on the ring gear, and that is really easy - about 10-15 min when the 3rd member is out.

B

bazzle

p m said:
R&P is a different job. Just dropping in a locker only requires the backlash adjustment on the ring gear, and that is really easy - about 10-15 min when the 3rd member is out.

It is but when some people adj the lash by the bearings they sometimes leave the bearing preload too loose or too tight. There is a bit of an art as stated.

That link above for the Dana is wrong for a Rover

Bazzle

Last edited:
B

barefoot

also, the water leaking could very well be the sunroof drain. they come unconnected and run down the headliner first showing signs as wetness at the headliner...pass or driver corner. then it will leak down the a pillar and into the floor boards. obviously, the headliner needs to be dropped to check this. if the headliner isnt wet though...look at the windshield seal.

enjoy!

justinhaaga

Oct 27, 2004
Syracuse, UT
JSQ said:
If you're not changing out the R&P I say have a crack at it yourself.

I'm not sure what this "special tool" you'll need is?
Just get a dial indicator from www.thetoolwarehouse.net and some pattern paste.

If you've got the time you might as well have a crack at it yourself. If you get frustrated you can tap-out and take it to a shop, but you'll learn a lot of valuable field repair tech just by trying.

I put a detroit in the rear of the disco the first time completely by myself with only web instructions and it came out perfect.

Not that big a deal.

Sooner or later you're going to have to do something much harder than this so don't make a differential install the upper limit of your abilities without even trying.

x2 locker install is pretty easy. you just need to setup the backlash. Pinion depth and all that are already setup via shims. if it were R&P too then yeah may be a little over the top for you.

I would suggest reading up on the threads/do it your self guides so you get a good understanding on how it works.

RichardS

May 2, 2005
Maryville, TN
More detail in this old thread:
http://discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13525

The special tool I am talking about is a spanner used to set the preload on the carrier bearings. Without enough preload the assembly can open up a bit under load and place more load on the gear teeth. I made such a tool, pics below. The point is to have something that you can use a toque wrench on so you can measure the preload. A chisel and hammer will work but you will have no way of gauging how much torque you are applying.

Other special tools would include a dial indicator and something to press the bearings onto the carrier with. Again, a hammer and chisel/punch may work for the latter but a press would be a lot safer. If you buy new bearings with the locker the supplier may agree to press them on for you.

Attachments

• diff tool 1.jpg
    diff tool 1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 12
  • diff tool 2.jpg
    diff tool 2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: