XYZ Sensor, Brake Switch, and Transfer Case Solenoid - 04 DII -

braves6117

Started blowing my f21 fuse for the brake switch In July. I’d shift the truck from P to D, blow the fuse, and be locked out of P until replacing fuse. Oddly, it would not blow on the return trip from D to P.

Ok, so whatever, I’ll replace the switch at the pedal and inspect the wiring.
Fast forward to last weekend, and I can no longer utilize my transfer case Low. Its not stuck, but clearly obstructed(always shifted like butter). I’m guessing TC solenoid, so I plan on removing it next weekend.

Well yesterday, the XYZ switch throws a code P0705 4 times and activates limp mode…..so I’m now thinking repairing/replacing the switch will also solve my Low gear solenoid problem…? Is this likely or is there something I’m missing?

I guess I’m just shouting out for tips or previous experience here…..searching reveals the AC drain line is a likely culprit as to why the XYZ switch is dying….

Thanks in advance :patriot:

Last edited:

braves6117

jafir said:
If the xyz doesn't think you are in neutral, the solenoid in the transfer case shifter won't let you shift.
Thanks for the info...I thought the TC solenoid was on the actual TC itself ( my rave shows 2003 model yr and below). That being said, when the truck does "know" its in N (no codes, dash displays N), the TC is still not letting me shift to Low. :banghead:

braves6117

Found this post from another forum...looks to be related to the XYZ switch going out...know what to do now :)

I wonder if you really have to remove the driveshaft to realign...

We went through this with our 2003 Discovery. Also check to be sure your dash shows N and your gear selector is lit for N. Our XYZ switch was slightly off and the Transfer Case would not engage.

Realigned the XYZ switch (already replaced the Solenoid) and we were good to go.

psykokid

May 29, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Nothing like having to turn around a mile up the trail after having gotten up at the ass crack of dawn and driving four hours to get there eh?

braves6117

psykokid said:
Nothing like having to turn around a mile up the trail after having gotten up at the ass crack of dawn and driving four hours to get there eh?

Hahaha! Yeah, I know. How about we just blame it on the blown tire I encountered at the exact moment when 4 wheel High reached its capabilities limit?

This truck is more of a lessons learned than anything

barnass

Mar 11, 2007
NY
I've had many issues with the xyz... I remember when I was first seeing signs & going into limp mode - someone on here mentioned bad grounds would throw limp mode. I didnt believe it but checked anyways. Sure enough there was a bad crimp on the negative wire - pulled right out. Fixed that and was good for about a year until I drove into a pond. Then xyz got fucked proper. Deal it up if you get a new one.

braves6117

Started on my fix Sunday. I took the center console out and then drilled out the rivets holding the metal plate to the vehicle body. I immediately saw wires supporting the solenoid had come into contact with the driveshaft. This would explain why I was blowing the F21 fuse whenever I shifted through Nuetral on my tansmission.

Its clear these wires wouldn't normally be able to make contact with the driveshaft. It appears the mechanic who pulled the transmission out 18 months ago spliced open the wiring harness that runs alongside the transmission only to not properly secure it closed again...over time, these 2 wires fell out. Or I guess its possible if he used zip ties, they became brittle and fell off.

As far as the XYZ switch....turns out these problems were unrelated. The xyz switch is out of alignment or needs to be replaced. I ran out of time this weekend but will navigate it this weekend.

SolenoidWires.jpg

psykokid

May 29, 2006
Pasadena, CA
Lol, that explains a lot Cody, shorted bare wires popping fuses - go figure. Hopefully your XYZ switch just needs a little nudge in the right direction.