Dish Network Contract

Jan 26, 2008
In the bunker
Anybody know how to get out of one?
I have been a DirecTV customer pretty much since DirecTV came out. When we moved into our new house last April, we regrettably decided to give Dish Network a shot. We hate Dish Network for several reasons (mostly DVR issues), and would love to go back to DirecTV.
We have contacted Dish Network and explained the situation. They say we must buy out the contract @ $17/month, $200 at this time.
I have contacted DirecTV and explained the situation. They said they would love to have us back and will give us a good deal on a package, but they don't offer any contract buy-out assistance.
I have searched online and have not found much help.
I'm trying to decide if our distain for Dish Network would be worth $200 to get rid of. I was ready to pull the trigger a few weeks ago, but then fuel prices started to climb. I may just have to wait it out a while.
Any ideas?

Ol'Drippy

Apr 20, 2004
Chinoike Jigoku
If you hadn't already called them, what I've done in a similar situation was just call and tell them that I lost my job and wouldn't be able to pay the bill, sometimes, some companies will let you buy out the contract at a discounted price, or they may just reduce your monthly bill.. I've called to cancel Sirius radio twice in the past 6 months, and both times they've given my 3 free months. I'm looking forward to find out what happens next time, if they actually cancel it or give me another free trial. Good luck to ya

umbertob

Apr 26, 2007
Altadena, CA
I know this doesn't answer your question, but what Dish DVR receiver is giving you so much grief? I've had 3 models from them so far (currently a 922 and a 612, previously a 622) and all worked fine for me... The 922 had teething problems when it first came out and remote viewing via Sling is still very unreliable, but recent firmware updates have made it much better.

Jan 26, 2008
In the bunker
I have the VIP 722K. I don't think it is malfunctioning, I just think it is not very user-friendly. I think the DirecTV reciever operations are so much more intuitive. The menus are more logically grouped and easier to navigate. We have had this reciever nearly a year and we still struggle with the menus. The DVR functionality is even worse. Before we had two DVR recievers for two televisions. Each television could switch between two "channels" independantly of the other television. Now we have two HD televisions on one DVR (and a third television on a second non-DVR reciever.) With this set up the second television does not get HD. And when you set something to record, the reciever decides which television it will record from (this can be changed, but its hard to find when you are in a hurry.) If someone is watching the second television that the recording is going to record on, you have to scramble to change the DVR settings if you want to keep watching your show. I think DirecTV's system of a seperate DVR-reciever for each television is the only way to go.

umbertob

Apr 26, 2007
Altadena, CA
In that case I agree with you, Dish doesn't have a single receiver able to broadcast and/or record HD signal on two separate TV sets (not yet, anyway), it's only one HD and one SD on their "Duo" receivers such as your 722K. That's why I have a 922 for the main TV and a 612 for the HDTV in our bedroom. You should be able to call Dish and request a dedicated VIP612 DVR for your second HDTV on your account - for little or no cost - but if you don't like the interface of the 722K you wouldn't like the 612's either, since they have virtually identical menus and navigation screens. I guess I am used to them now and like their interface just fine - the 922's is somewhat fancier - but my wife still misses her old TiVo peanut remote every now and then. ;)

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
I don't know if you can switch plans under contract but when I canceled Dish they tried to put me on an unadvertised $10/mo package with a handful of channels. If you could switch it would be cheaper than the $17/mo you stated for the buy out.

Jan 26, 2008
In the bunker
I have been thinking the comparison between DirecTV's and Dish Network's operating systems would be like comparing a pc to a Mac: most people love one & hate the other.

I also have a surround sound speaker placement question in case any audiophiles are in the crowd.
I have a Samsung 7.1 surround sound home theater system, with a speaker calibration microphone assisted setup. Viewing position is 12 feet from the screen. My center, and front left and front right speaker placement is pretty good for the room. My problem is the surround speaker placement.

Due to a lack of placement options I can either place them at +/- 60 degrees from C/L of the screen (not the optimum 90-110 degrees.) I can mount them at any elevation/vertical angle to the ear.

Or I can place them at the optimal 90-110 degree position, but I would have to mount them at least 9' high on the wall, facing down to the ear at roughly 45 degrees vertically.
The surround back speakers can be mounted pretty much either way (high or low).

I'm leaning towards mounting the R & L surround speakers @ 9' facing down and mounting the back speakers at or slightly above ear level. I think that would provide the best "sound envelope".

Perhaps I am overthinking this, but I don't want to drill any holes in the drywall that I'm not going to use.