How to remove front Air Dam (disco II)

P

Puppy

I'm hoping to start some mild off-roading this spring with my new '99 Disco II and I'd prefer to not destroy my air dam. Is it possible to remove it and put it back on when I get back home from the trail?

S

Sergei

On D1, if you dont mind your cornered ends - you can take it off and putting it on with no issues.

Problem is - if you take it off, you still got corners with side lights hanging down.
And if you trim them - then air dam will look lpretty nasty if you put it back, plus it got nothing to hold on.
(there is lip on corners that actually holds airdam - about 4 phillips head screws or something like that on each side).

P

Puppy

Well, I'd definitely prefer to not damage the bumper, so I guess I'll need to look into getting an aftermarket bumper fairly soon. Thanks for the advice.

bruinlad

Mar 17, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I know this thread might be a bit old but if you are looking into replacing your current DII bumper, you may want to look into fitting a Saudi/Gulf State spec bumper. For more info you may want to google for some Trek and Kalahari editions since the both use this type of bumper. Roversnorth.com carries them for about $400 plus and takes about 10-14 working days I was told, for them to ship it out since they're ordering it from England. To recoup some of the costs, you may want to sell your old bumper or keep it as a spare. :)

P.S.
To get a better idea of how the bumper looks like, check out Ben Leitch's Disco Trek in the photo galleries. That's the Saudi/Gulf State spec bumper.

Last edited:

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I agree that the Saudi spec bumpers look cooler & are more functional than NAS stock,,, but I think buying one is a waste of money. If you're getting into off-roading, you're going to want a stout front bumber, possibly with a winch mount, definately with solid recovery points. Chances are you will still bust, or at least tweak, your Saudi spec bumper off-road so why nut just take the money you would spend on it & put on a solid HD aftermarket bumper?

bruinlad

Mar 17, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I think I read somewhere that he wants to keep his old bumper and perhaps put it back on since he's only looking into some mild off roading. So I don't know if he really wants to commit to the idea of a aftermarket winch bumper, particularly if he intends to put back the oem after every outing I definitely agree that the aftermarket bumper is the way to go particularly when it comes to recovery points and winch mounting options. But unless, he wants the aftermarket look on all the time and is after mild offroading (I take it that perhaps this means trails rated 1 through 3 at the most), I think the Saudi one is a good alternative, particularly if he sells his old one he might even make some if not all of the cost of it back, without necessarily altering the stock look up front. The only thing he'll miss if he goes with the Saudi spec are the foglights on the valance.

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I never understood why they didn't make the Saudi spec bumper an option on NAS Discos,,,,,,, chalk that one down as another brilliant LR marketing decision... DWeb should run LR,,,, by 'consensus' :eek: ,,,,, lol