Replacement Disco I grill

mofosr

Apr 20, 2004
Colorado USA
Hi,

I got into a wreck and mashed my stock bumper and grill. I ordered an ARB replacement bumper, and it seems to me that people were discussing a custom replacement grill. It was called "arabian" or "arab" or something middle eastern.. Somebody posted a link to buy them, but I can't seem to searche the archives, anymore. Anyone?

JeffM

Apr 20, 2004
New Hampshire
It's the Saudi Grill - rare as hens teeth at the moment. There was someone posting a while back that said they may be able to get some. Can't remember who it was though. I think the original supply has pretty much dried up.

HTH

Jeff

LiveAtTheEdge

Apr 19, 2004
Lafayette, NorCal
you can make your own pretty easily, that's what i'm going to try and do, i've seen it done before and it looks quite good. Cost you cents in materials where a new one will cost you over a hundred, if you can get one.

Cheers

Jack

Attachments

• DSC06315.jpg
    DSC06315.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 424
P

PHARAOHDISCO

Getting a Saudi Grille is not as difficult as some think. I just received my brand new Saudi Grille today. I ordered one through a Land Rover dealer in the UK last week and I just received it. It is an original land rover grille and it looks great. The LR part no. is DHB102590LML and it cost me GBP 125.00. It has the same frame as the standard LR D1 grille but in the center it has a black stainless steel mesh.
If anyone needs the contact in the UK who supplied me with this grille, please let me know. As soon as I have it installed on my D1, I will take a picture of it and post it.

Tarek

D

DiscoDino

Being in Saudi and having been promised by several locals and even passing on this promise here on the board...I can vouche to say that a) they are extremely rare (dealer here has none) and b) they are pretty damn expensive! They run in at 125$ + for USED ones...

G

gummikuh

Hi
I am sure you could modify your existing panel.
You would need either to be really careful cutting or find some black flexible channel to finish the edge.
We here in the UK have loads of silly shops selling anodised tat for peugot 106's and suchlike, but they do sell sheets of perforated metal, in all sorts of shapes and styles.
This could be applied to the back probably with some sort of hot glue gun, and then finish by transplanting the Land Rover oval.
It might be an idea to try on a spare one first, and these must be plentiful in breakers.
Pete

andrewv

Well, I ran into an issue yesterday (2.5 feet of water with 4 inches of ice), which wiped out my grill, turn indicators, side trim pieces and the headlight mounting clips:) I'd like to find something a bit more stout, although I don't think I'll try and act like an ice ram again.

P

PHARAOHDISCO

I bought a Saudi Grill from a LR parts dealer in the UK. Here is a picture of it installed on my D1.

Attachments

• 26850021.jpg
    26850021.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 322
P

PHARAOHDISCO

A clearer picture.

Attachments

• 26890001.jpg
    26890001.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
P

PHARAOHDISCO

Sharperover said:
What is the grill made of? Thanks for the pictures.

The frame is hard plastic, the center is a black pvc coated steel mesh. A rubber gasket is inserted between the mesh and the frame and at the same time covers the inside edge of the frame. It's actually quite nice, also allows for much better cooling which is important in our area.