ARB compressor location

dave_lucas

Apr 19, 2004
Golden Colorado
Hi Everyone,

I am installing an ARB air compressor for my lockers and was wondering where a good place to put the compressor is on a 99 DI?

Inside I would think would be loud and I am having a hard time locating a place in the motor bay.

Pics would help also :)

Thanks!

GotRovr

Jun 16, 2004
Previous owner of my D1 installed ARB compressor on drivers side of engine bay next to radiator in front of air box. I'll try and upload pics next week.

I'm now in the process of installing second battery where factory washer reservior was. I just completed installation of 2 separate after market 2 quart washer units on left side on engine bay. One for front wind shield and one for rear. Now searching for best battery tray for optima yellow top.

dave_lucas

Apr 19, 2004
Golden Colorado
I ended up putting it on the drivers side in front of the air box.

It is amazing how loud that little compressor is :eek: I might just have to look into using my power tank instead of the ARb compressor.

"Just lay it on the seat next to you"
;)

Blueboy

Apr 20, 2004
Back in the USA; Rockwood, PA
Arb

try not to place it where a bunch of dirt and gunk can get to it. also try and keep it in the cooler areas in the engine compartment.

heat and dirt really shortens the life of them.

also, if you're ever thinking about getting a Power Tank for airing up, now is a good time to get it and use it instead of the ARB pump.

Jaime

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Mine is under the drivers seat. Ya, it's loud but, only for a little bit when you first turn it on, and then every once in a while it will come on for a really quick burst as it loses a little air ( turning the lockers on or if you have a slow air leak ). Doesn't bother me though. Stays a little cleaner under there then if it was under the hood. Just don't fill the inside of your truck up with water or over fill your diffs with fluid. ;)

GotRovr

Jun 16, 2004
Here is a thousand words

Attachments

• ARB_compressor_location.jpg
    ARB_compressor_location.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 205

stansell

Jun 14, 2004
Norfolk, VA
Gotrovr's set up is pretty slick. We used it to refill tires last weekend at Hollister once we figured out my Stauns weren't set right (I had deflated to about 10#, a little low). Not very quick, but a good source of backup air.

dave_lucas

Apr 19, 2004
Golden Colorado
"also, if you're ever thinking about getting a Power Tank for airing up, now is a good time to get it and use it instead of the ARB pump"

I have a power tank. Maybe I should start looking into a way to use it with the air locker. If nothing else it would make a good backup plan incase the compressor dies or something goes wrong.

One thing that I installed that I was really impressed with was the stainless steel airline :cool: instead of the blue plastic ones ARB provides. Hopefully with the stainless steel airlines and the quality install I did it will be trouble free :D

cwdavis4

Apr 20, 2004
Portland, OR
"also, if you're ever thinking about getting a Power Tank for airing up, now is a good time to get it and use it instead of the ARB pump"

I have a power tank as well that I keep in the cargo area but not sure how you would route this to the lockers. I'm guessing you would have to run another air line from the power tank to the arb switch upfront and then to the front / rear lockers. Seems like a lot of work.

Attachments

• Power_tank.jpg
    Power_tank.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 161

Rikstaboogie

May 22, 2004
UK
www.rikstaboogie.com
most things seem covered but for those who are mounting it inside... beware of the small blowback of oil when lockers are unlocked. Or maybe mine doesn't work correctly? :confused:

Attachments

• DSCF0727_jpg.jpg
    DSCF0727_jpg.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

j_button

Apr 25, 2004
Dallas, TX
How much air is required to keep the locker enganged? The reason I asked is that I was just considering mounting a small air tank to the frame that would be filled prior to going off roading. So when the locker is engaged is there a volume requirement as well as some pressure spec?