****** fluid change

K

kkngtgr

Do you guys service your tr@nsmitions? the other day at a Midas shop they told me that I had to chance it, but they suggested me to do it at the dealer, and a couple of friends of mine that did it at jiffy lube had trans problems short after such service...cheers

-Marco

Alyssa

Apr 19, 2004
Philadelphia's Main Line
It depends on what vehicle you have. On a DII, the filter is changed once at 30k and then never again. The fluid is always changed regularly, no matter what you have. Any competent mechanic should be able to do that.

K

kkngtgr

I have a 96 DI, I guess I can trust my local mechanic to perform such a task, is there any trick ?or procedure?

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
The only trick that I know is not to just replace the fluid with the amount that the transmission requires since much is left in the sump. Instead fill gradually and read from the stick.

To drain it is about as simple as changing the oil. To change the filter involves draining the transmission, pulling the cross member, removing the pan and seal, replacing the filter and orings, then new seal and bolt the pan back on. Not too bad.

And torque the drain plug to spec.

Brian

geoff

Apr 23, 2004
Austin, TX
You gotta drop or move the chassis cross bar out of the way to allow clearance to drop the pan. I just banged it forward with a rubber mallet. The shop procedure is to spread the frame slightly. Replacing the filter is straightforward. It is a screen type and I saw a TSB to replace it once at 30K miles. Fluid changes thereafter.

Carl_kps

May 23, 2004
Harpers Ferry, WV
I tried to get my Transmission flushed at Merchants Tire and they did not have the attachment to fit the transmission. I took it to the Tire Shop of Leesburg, Va and they were able to do it. They also use BG products like the dearship does. It cost me about 200 dollars to get done.

www.thetireshop.net

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Total rip off. The part is about $35 and an hour or so of labor MAX.

I am also kind of surprised that they had the transmission filter.