R-12 To R-134a

RKORES

Apr 21, 2004
Lowgap, NC
I have an '89 Classic. I was looking at Advance Auto, and they have kits for $35 do do the conversion. Basically it cleans all the old R-12 out and then it says you are good to put in R-134a. Will this work? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Will Bobbitt

Pugsly

Banned
Apr 20, 2004
www.roverautomotive.com
What's the problem with your current system? If it just needs to be charged up then use one of the R-12 substitutes like HC-12. I wouldn't use 134 in a system unless the system was specifically designed for it.

alia176

Sep 14, 2004
Tijeras, NM
I've done this conversion on my '91. Bought a cleaning solution that's made for this conversion, bunch of 134a rated O rings, couple of fittings at Pep Boys. I had a leak in my a/c system so the sysetm was empty of R12. Old oil out of the compressor was emptied. Using compressed air (set to 15 psi), the lines and the condenser were flushed out with the cleaner. Took the leaky hose to an A/C shop and had another one made with new fittings for $30. With a new air drier, I went to the A/C shop to get recharged with R134a. The shop properly evacuated my system then recharged it with R134a and oil.

You can buy an air drier that comes with higher presseure switches (low and high) for the R134a from LR or other vendors. I chose simply to purchase a drier w/o any switches and transferred my old ones over.

The system works nice and the air is cold. There isn't any problem with the compressor cycling on/off and everything is fully operational. This is a pretty straight forward DIY project.

Ali

RoverGuy

Apr 23, 2004
Oregon
You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever with the conversion, so long as it's done properly. R134a works perfectly with the RRC Sanden compressors.

S

Steve83

Pugsly said:
...R-12 substitutes like HC-12.
And you think the system WAS specifically designed for THAT??? :confused: It's not only explosive :eek: ; it's illegal in the US. :mad:

R-134a is by FAR the best replacement for R-12. Its properties are almost identical, and it's MUCH cheaper. The only real changes that should be made are a smaller orifice/expansion valve (to increase the high pressure), and adjusting the low pressure switch to ~22psig (normally ~19psig for R-12). It's also mandatory to add a high-pressure switch to systems not originally so equipped.