HELLA FF300 lights for RRC roof rack

Ian95rrc

Apr 20, 2004
St. Louis, MO
www.prattkreidich.com
I'm going to be adding 4 Hella FF300 lights to my Hannibal rack. My question is should I go with 4 driving lights or 2 driving - 2 fog? I'm concerned about glare if I go with fog lights. Hood blackout is definitely not an option.

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
go with drving only

i have the ff300's myself and they work well and look nice.

on my disco i used to have fogs on the rack and it was pointless as most of the light went down onto the hood.

the FF300's still have some ambient light that will shine down, but not as much as the fogs

Rob
DSC00028.JPG

C

CELaur

I would agree with Rob. Fog lights on your rack would be a waste. Go with 4 driving. I would mount two higher than the others and aim them a bit higher as well. This way you will have more coverage area under the lights.
~Casey

wes

Apr 19, 2004
Norcal
Not to hijack this thread but since we're on the topic of lamps...how about bumper mounted lamps? Fogs or cornering? I checked the pattern on each and there is only a slight difference in each pattern. I might be moving soon to an area where fog may be an issue and would like a set mounted.

Thanks...

discodriveradam

Apr 20, 2004
Sparta, TN
Wes, I would say go with cornering for the bumper. I have driving lights on my RTE Slimline, and my brother has the cornering beams on his, and his pattern is much more useful for the trail.

Ian95rrc

Apr 20, 2004
St. Louis, MO
www.prattkreidich.com
Thanks Rob. I had your truck in mind when I asked the question but I didn't remember who owned it. One more question, how did you route your wires down from the roof? At the moment I think I'm going to run them down a channel in the back hatch to avoid drilling into the roof.

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, for now I have the wire going up the front A-pillar with High Quality black electrical tape over it. It's actually held up all winter and just now starting to peel.

I have a snorcle to install and I was planning on rounting the wires on that. Unfortunately the when i was test fitting it I found that the snorcle doesnt fit with the Roof Rack :(

I think I am selling the RR soon anyway. It's just to rusty to keep souping up.

Rob

jims95

Apr 20, 2004
Upland, California
I put four Hella FF300's driving lights on my new rack last December. I also have a Hella work lamp on the back of the rack. I ran the wiring up the front A-pillar with a six wire connector in the driver's door jamb, if I need to remove the rack.

I have converted to coils springs from the electronic air suspension (EAS), so the EAS switches were useless. I removed the EAS switches and surround from the dash. I replaced them with the Discovery switch surround with two fog lamp swithces (green light) and one driving light switch (orange light), and three switch plug-in harnesses (with lead wires) that I got from a Land Rover salvage yard. This set-up plugs right into the dash on 1995 Range Rovers. I got the idea to use these switches by comparing the switch surround in my wife?s 1998 Discovery to the EAS switch surround on my 1995 Range Rover. I wired the lights to these switches and I also wired the dash lights to these switches. It is a very clean installation. I showed it to John Lee and Ho Chung of Expedition Exchange in at Truckhaven in January. Recently, they started selling the surround and switches in the Land Rover Genuine Parts section. I recommend getting the plug-in harnesses for the switches. It just makes the installation so much easier.

A year and a half ago I removed my airdam and fog lights. I got light clips that clamp to the top side of the front bumper. I mounted my original fog lights and hooked directly without having to rewire. The only thing that I had to do was flip the fog lamp lenses so the "top" marking was in the right location. Also, fog lamps are meant to be mounted to the lower part of the vehicle, if you go by the manufacturers installation instructions.

Hope this helps

Jim :D