Which butthole is this?

noee

Apr 20, 2004
Free Union, VA
WILL.TILLERY said:
"professional and courteous"..... hmmm... J.B.?

lol, what universe do you live in? Hell, if I had known I could charge people that weekend....I wonder if I should've charged the CVEC guys for helping them out so they could restore my power??

msggunny

Aug 3, 2007
Holly Ridge, NC
Maybe its just me, but i would never charge someone to pull them out of the snow or what ever.

Pay for something I broke while trying to pull them out, yes. But to charge them, to me thats kind of f'd up.

Case of beer, no worries.

Donations, Ok. But i would never ask.

quick128

Jul 21, 2008
Waynesboro VA
msggunny said:
Maybe its just me, but i would never charge someone to pull them out of the snow or what ever.

Pay for something I broke while trying to pull them out, yes. But to charge them, to me thats kind of f'd up.

I pulled a couple of people out and had one guy try to hand me a ten, but I didn't take it. I guess it might make some sense if you were advertising and driving from your house to some random place to pull someone out, but I wouldn't do it. I'd leave it to the pro wrecker drivers that have insurance.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
msggunny said:

It's not just you. This guy is a prick.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA
WILL.TILLERY said:
Charging can also land you in a bunch of trouble if you are not licensed and insured for vehicle recovery.

Virginia DMV is real serious about the matter.

http://www.btro.vi.virginia.gov/

x2 on that. Also if things did go wrong you have the Good Samaritan rule "protecting" you. If you take a form of compensation, then essentially the person you helped can come after you. Not just in assisting in vehicle recovery.

mjbrox

Jun 30, 2008
Golden CO
I would be afraid to advertise that. Most cars do not have a good place to tie onto.

If you damaged a car in the process you could end up paying for damages.

knewsom

Jul 10, 2008
La Mancha, CA
Ballah06 said:
x2 on that. Also if things did go wrong you have the Good Samaritan rule "protecting" you. If you take a form of compensation, then essentially the person you helped can come after you. Not just in assisting in vehicle recovery.

Holy crap, VA has laws that protect good samaritans??? Here I thought their books were just full of laws making everything illegal except owning a fuckin' machine gun... :rofl:

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
mjbrox said:
I would be afraid to advertise that. Most cars do not have a good place to tie onto. If you damaged a car in the process you could end up paying for damages.

Quite right. In the past, whenever I have pulled someone out of the snow, I have handed them the rope/chain/strap/whatever and told them to attach it to some place secure. That puts the onus on them, not you, should things go awry.

Back in the early '70's, when we used to get snow around here, I came across a car well and truly stuffed into a roadside plow bank. It was some little shitbox of a car, Chevy Vega, I think, one of those vehicles that was actually built out of compressed rust. Handed the nylon hawser to the kid - who was very drunk and rather unstable on his feet - and told him to tie it someplace secure. The bumper turned out to be a rather poor choice, as is separated cleanly from the vehicle with the first gentle tug. :eek:

The kid was too drunk to utter a comprehensible word, as I quickly coiled up the line and headed off into the dark. Figured he - and everyone else on the road that night - was far safer with his ride immobilized. :p

Cheers

mjbrox

Jun 30, 2008
Golden CO
apg said:
Quite right. In the past, whenever I have pulled someone out of the snow, I have handed them the rope/chain/strap/whatever and told them to attach it to some place secure. That puts the onus on them, not you, should things go awry.

Back in the early '70's, when we used to get snow around here, I came across a car well and truly stuffed into a roadside plow bank. It was some little shitbox of a car, Chevy Vega, I think, one of those vehicles that was actually built out of compressed rust. Handed the nylon hawser to the kid - who was very drunk and rather unstable on his feet - and told him to tie it someplace secure. The bumper turned out to be a rather poor choice, as is separated cleanly from the vehicle with the first gentle tug. :eek:

The kid was too drunk to utter a comprehensible word, as I quickly coiled up the line and headed off into the dark. Figured he - and everyone else on the road that night - was far safer with his ride immobilized. :p

Cheers

i would not help pull a drunk person out of a ditch no matter the car

In my younger days I did some valet parking at a huge club. There where over 20 valets

Any way, one of the cars I brought to the front was owned by a very drunk man, so I tossed the keys the police office that was there and told the customer to go get the keys from the officer. I then went and got my next car. J

Roving Beetle

I have helped plenty of people over the years and never ever ever have I accepted a penny. Several have tried but i figure the good "karma" is worth far more than a few $$. :D

I also will let them hook it on - I may guide them in the effort but I always make it clear I have no responsibility to the damage that may rise. Also you're much better off if possible to have them OUT of the car a safe distance away *like directing traffic* so they can't be hurt while you're hooked up to them.

I've come across a couple wise-ass pricks and a couple drunk/aggresive people and i have always left them right in the ditch and told them I would call the town dispatcher and let them know they needed help. Life's too short to deal with @ssholes.

DiscoJen

Aug 27, 2004
The Lou!
Damn Tayloe be hard up for some cash. Don't you know Dan pays more than $40 for a good BJ? Going gay for pay doesn't make you a bad person and we won't judge you.

Ballah06

Jan 21, 2007
Savannah, GA

roverMc

Feb 27, 2009
Deep, Deep South
Ballah06 said:

Becareful with the "Good Samaritan rule" people sue others for anything in the USA and win even though you are trying to help. Say if you pull someone out that's been drinking, now you are liable for them. It's like the law that prevents a Liquor store from selling alcohol to someone who is drunk. Granted most people are good and greatful that you helped, but all it takes is that one person to ruin you day or life.

ArmyRover

Dec 4, 2007
Augusta, GA
I helped a cop in Mass out of a ditch saving him the embarrassment of calling for a tow truck.

4 months later he let me off with a verbal warning for speeding :D