How is this possible? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

  Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page

Author Message

John Kruger (Johnnyk)
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

D110 for import

Tripp Westbrook (Tripp)
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Good question.

Unusually cheap too.

Marc Ingham (Marcingham)
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

if it seems to good to be true...

Heath McGuire (Discoheath)
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I am starting to wonder. I am seeing alot of 110's and couple of 90's for sale. They all claim clear titles. I want one.

Rob Davison (Pokerob)
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

including shipping ? lol

i got dibb's if this is legit!

rd

Leslie N. Bright (Leslie)
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I call BS....

They may say "Vehicles marked as -USA Imports- have been pre-approved for import to the United States", but that might only refer to exporting it from wherever they are.... once it arrives here, it's still illegal.

Where are they located? ie, send a check to us overseas, and see what happens when the Rover arrives at the dock.....

If it was legit, I'd have the black D90 (though I have to say, one of the BMW bikes would be VERY tempting.... )

-L

Heath McGuire (Discoheath)
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Has anybody e-mailed or talked to them. They are also posted on lrx

Tripp Westbrook (Tripp)
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I just e-mailed them and asked about the legality of importing to the U.S. and how this is achieved as well as expected shipping costs.

I'll let everyone know what they say.

Steve Andrews (Sillybus)
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Please correct me if I am wrong but...

Wasn't there an issue with the upper body strength with the D110 that required the external roll cage to comply with US DOT? Unless they have changed the structural design since 93, that photo tells the tale.

If its legit, I'll be in line with the rest of you. I've always wanted one of these since I was a kid. OK, first the SeriesII, then SeriesIII, Stage1 and then the D110, but you get the idea. I finally got tired of waiting for a reasonable deal and thats why I got the D1.

William C. Leek (Onionman)
Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I saw that, too, John, on LRX. It certainly has the feel of a scam to me. Way too good to be true.

Glenn Guinto (Glenn)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Okay... I just received an email from them... I guess you decide....

Thank you for your response to our classified advertisement for our LR
Defenders for sale.
We received a remarkable 137 inquiries over the past 12 hours after posting
the advertisement. Thus it is impossible for us to answer in detail to each
inquiry and this is a general information reply to the most common
questions. This is being sent out to all interested parties and we hope it
will answer all the questions you might have.

If you are interested and fully ready to purchase please send a reply to:
vehsales@overlandworld.7p.com with the subject line stating ‘Ready to
Purchase’. Please only reply to this email address if you have no further
question and fully ready to purchase.
We will offer the sales in the order of the responses.

To start off: We currently have four remaining vehicles available.
Photos are attached for each.

1. 2001 110 Defender CSW - Caledonian Blue - $11,300

2. 2001 110 Defender CSW - Bonatti Grey - $11,300
(This was misprinted on our website as java black)

3. 2001 110 Defender CSW - Zambezi Silver - $11,800
(The 2000 Zambezi silver model - has been sold)

4. 2001 90 Defender 3 Door CSW – Bonatti Grey (Tomb Raider model) - $9,400
(The black model - $8,400 - has been sold)

All the vehicles listed have the TD5 (2.5 diesel engines) and manual
transmissions. Additionally all have been DOT/California emissions converted
and fully street legal in all States. All are standard USA left hand drive
setups.

All the 110’s are equipped with: Heavy Duty Wheel Package, Sunroof, ABS/ETC,
Air Conditioning, Convenience Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Alarm, Radio/Cass/CD
Changer, Remote Central Locking, Cloth Seats, Tinted Glass, Heated Rear
Window, Body Colored Wheel arch eyebrows
The Caledonian Blue model also comes with an expedition style roof rack and
rack lights

The 90 is equipped with the Tomb Raider setup which includes: ABS & traction
control, Alloy wheels, Black wheel arch eyebrows, Chequer plate floor,
Immobiliser, Radio Cassette, Roof basket, Side steps, Volumetric protection
(alarm), Air-conditioning, Aluminum chequer plate, Body coloured roof,
Heated rear window/wash/wipe, Leather steering wheel, Polished alloy
gearknob, Rear step, Roof rack support bar, Tomb Raider badge.

All four of these vehicles have had the import fees paid and are already
US/California registered. Each of these was used on our summer treks from
San Diego, CA to Panama, Central America.

All our used vehicles are put through a Land Rover rigorous mechanical and
electrical check and have all pass what would be called a Land Rover
Approved Used Vehicle in Europe.

As for warranties in the USA, the conversion and engine is under a two-year
independent warranty – serviceable at any authorized Land Rover dealership.
We also give a 30-Day exchange policy - If you aren't completely satisfied,
you can exchange your vehicle for another or be given a full refund for
return.

The price includes delivery to San Diego or Seattle Washington and any point
in-between. We can also arrange to have the vehicle delivered to other
locations for an additional fee. This is usually about $500 for Central
States and $900 for the East Coast.

We do not require full payment up front and only require a bank deposit of
$2500 to hold the vehicle and the remaining funds to be due at the time of
delivery. No vehicle will be held prior to receiving deposit!!

Shipping is currently taking place from Central America and each will be
available for pickup in San Diego around the 29 or 30th of this month or in
or Seattle a few days later.

About Us:
We are an international overland tour operator and have been in business
since 1982.
Our headquarters is located in England and our tour operation offices are
located in Singapore, Kenya and Johannesburg. In late November additional
tour operation offices will be opening in Seattle, San Diego, Dusseldorf,
Bangkok and Hong Kong.

For our enclosed tours we use Land Rover 110’s exclusively and for our
motorbike tours we exclusively use the BMW R1150GS’s.
Our tours tend to work on the more unknown routes throughout the worlds
developing nations, working primarily in Africa and Asia since our
beginning. Over the past couple of years we have opened new routes in
Central and South America and we are starting to offer more tours in this
area.
On any given day - we on average have 23 vehicles on the road and during
peak times have over 50. Additionally we have set three world records over
the past five years for long-range, overland speed tours.

Our vehicles that are sold to the public are NOT salvage or damaged in
anyway and never used for our extreme or race tours.
Because of our guarantees with our tour customers - we turn over our primary
vehicles after only 10,000 miles thus insuring our tours are always equipped
with “new” vehicles.
Most of our vehicles are generally sold via auctions in Africa and Asia at
the end of the experiences.
Only our best-conditioned vehicles and those that have absolutely no damage
are used for public sales. We generally sell our vehicles at wholesale
European prices to the public, thus always insuring quick turnover.

Again we hope this answers all your questions and if you are fully ready to
purchase please send a reply to: vehsales@overlandworld.7p.com with the
subject line stating ‘Ready to Purchase’.

If you have further inquiries please forward them to:
info@overlandworld.7p.com and we will try hard to answer them as soon as
possible.

Thank you again for your inquiry.

Overland World Sales Department.

-glenn

Leslie N. Bright (Leslie)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 08:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Damn! Maybe I should trade the Roo in on a gray D90!

-L

Mel A. (Krawlrovr)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 08:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I got dibs on the blue one...lol

I e-mailed them too and got that same response.

Robbie (Robbie)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

yep, got same response here. sooo, who's going to take the plunge? c'mon, someone has to bite the bullet for us. that way, next time they are selling we can be fully informed (since i'm too much of a pussy).

Michael Noe (Noee)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Here's an idea: we all put in some cabbage for the deposit (spread the risk). Then, when the truck arrives, I'll cover the balance and pay everyone back plus some small fee for the risk on the share of the deposit. Of course, I'll get the truck. If it's a scam, we've all lost only a little.

If not, we'll know it's for real and not one single one of us has to get burned for the whole $2500.

:)

Eric N (Grnrvr)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Tomb Raider D90 would be sweet.. And at $9,400.. Damn, if I only had the cash.

Tripp Westbrook (Tripp)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I got the same e-mail and forwarded it to a buddy of mine who's going to take the plunge.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

T-

Steve Andrews (Sillybus)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Can someone who got the email forward to me? I'd like to see those pics.

Mike: interesting idea. If we could get like 10 people in the tri-state area, I'd throw in. I say VA,MD,PA (& maybe DE LOL) so that we could all easily meet up to look her over.

John Kruger (Johnnyk)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Now I just want to know, if they are doing this, we can't we?

There has been a ton of discussion on the importation, licensing and registration of such trucks. I would assume if this was so easy, many of the used rover dealers would have them in stock.

If there are any used dealers checking this board, you could make a nice profit on the vehicles, and greatly reduce the aftermarket price of a D110.

They can probably bring them into the US for limited use, but I really doubt they can be registered and licensed.

I will be very interested to see how this turns out.

mongo
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Read the post, they have been converted to meet CA/US emissions. That's the main reason why you can't import a stock UK truck, they don't meet US standards. It's not that hard to get a UK truck to the US, you just have to pay (about 3k to 6k US) for the emissions to be converted to CA/DOT standards for that model year... I just got back from the UK and meet with 2 companies that will make a UK truck legal in the US, it's just expensive...
Cheers,
Frank

mongo
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Maybe I should have read the post, It sounds to good to be true...I'm going to see if this is real, I found a 99 D90 in the UK and it's going to cost $9400 just to convert it and ship it...

Cheers
Frank

Robbie (Robbie)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

these are the trucks attached to the email

D90

Blue110

Gray110

Silver110

Brian Kluge (Brianwi)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Why don’t they use a bank Letter of Credit (or other secure int’l. monetary exchanges) for payment if this is legit? Who’s their Broker/Freight Forwarder they used to get the vehicles into US in the first place? And if the vehicles actually exist and are sitting on a dock somewhere, who’ll pay the $100+ per day storage fee when Customs tells the buyer that this vehicle can’t be used in the US by a US citizen? And it looks like www.overlandworld.com doesn’t even exist. Hmmm, 100 people submitting $2500 each… $250,000. Not a bad scam if it is one.

And holy crap, I just looked at the 110's --aren't those are all the same vehicles? Looks like a PhotoShop job to me.

Good luck!
Brian

Glenn Guinto (Glenn)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

It is a SCAM...

look at the floor (ground) that the 110s are on...hasn't changed on all three. Also, the angle of the camera is all the same for all three, which I think can only be done if the Camera is in a tripod and the trucks park at the same exact spot. hehehe... what a fake!

-glenn

KJ
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Boys, it's walkin' and quackin', and it's lame as the duck it is. Now, if you feel the need to pony up your money, I'll take 50 cents on your deposit dollar, and you'll only be out that much for my good advice. Run AWAY!

Karen

alhang
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

hmmm... 1 year old vehicles selling for about 1/4 of their original asking price, drivetrain has been modified and fully legal??? please it defies all logic. the equipment prices are clearly listed on the website but there are no prices for these trips or even pics of the trips themselves. lastly the site looks like shit, hardly impressive for the world traveller looking for guided tours eh?

you can get in a vehicle legally, but after costs and headaches it might not be worth it.

Steve Andrews (Sillybus)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Even the third picture with a different background has the same marks and stains in the pavement. What a shame.

my $.02 on "you can get in a vehicle legally, but after costs and headaches it might not be worth it."

As far as I know, unless you have a special exception, you can't get a 110 imported other than a 1993 because it isn't on the DOT approved vehicle list. You may be able to get it here, you may get it tagged and all. One day though, someone may force you to export or destroy it.

Steve Andrews (Sillybus)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

And gas tanks on the drivers side? I think the images have been flipped.

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

There is something rotten in the state of Denmark

Steve Andrews (Sillybus)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Ok, 1 more thing.

If you all want to chip in and pony up for a worthwhile effort, lets get a fund going for the $500 application fee to apply for DOT approval for another production year of the 110 beside the 93.

Thomas Dahbura (U352)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I sent an email as ready to purchase. The bak is in Thailand. Weird. But guys look at the picture closer. They are all different vehicles.

Thomas Dahbura (U352)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

ohhh-I also asked if they would do it under escrow. I will forward that message to you guys too.

Steve (Scrover)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

total scam, don't do it! fake pictures for sure but it was the 'tour operations office opening in Seattle' that gave it away, nobody would be that stupid!!

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

hmmmm ...they all appear to be different vehicles, but why is the ground, vehicle position, camera angle, and reflections off surfaces exactly the same in all 110 pics but the backdrop is different in one of the pics? Camera angle can be explained by tripod, vehicles could have been painstakingly parked exactly the same, and therefore reflections could match, but who tore down the hedge and built the house when they were switching vehicles?

I magnified one of the photos, and I think I may have gotten to the bottom of all this:
exposed

Thomas Dahbura (U352)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Guys look a the hard top. One has a window the other does not.

John Kruger (Johnnyk)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thanks Blue, I need a good laugh this afternoon.

It is a scam, but what would it take for a few like minded individuals to get together and get approval for other years?

Steve (Scrover)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

"they all appear to be different vehicles"

it's just a good photochop job, here's a red one from the site with the building reversed

r110

Steve (Scrover)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

sorry, but check the pic on the site again!

Heath McGuire (Discoheath)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Does anybody know if I send the deposit if there is any way I can gurantee the will not run off with the money.

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

LOL John :)...and you started this thread too...

nice catch on the red 110 Steve
red
silver

Todd Sanders (Sanderskog)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

The red and the silver are positioned identically, just flipped. Even the same water marks on the ground. Someone is is going to lose some serious money on this scam.

As pointed out earlier. The gas cap seems to flip sides...

Todd

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

well, Heath, when your 110 doesn't drive off the ship, you can go to Bangkok and demand some answers...

Heath McGuire (Discoheath)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Ok. SO this is deffinatly a scam. Thanks.

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I've got a blue 110 for sale. I'm not in any way associated with Overland Tours. Just wire the money to my Bank of America account...
blue

Heath McGuire (Discoheath)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hey at least your TD5 on the quarter panel reads the right way.

Glenn Guinto (Glenn)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I sent an email as ready to purchase. The bak is in Thailand. Weird. But guys look at the picture closer. They are all different vehicles. - Thomas Dahbura

Thomas - don't bother with them... just buy Blue's D110...that's the picture of his in his driveway with his house in the backdrop. It looks somewhat similar with the overland's but at least that truck is in Arizona now...as it's obvious with the lush greeneries that blue planted

If you're looking for something with exclusivity, buy my new RR for only $15,000 delivered.

rr

-glenn

KJ
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Oooooooooo the Starbucks Edition! SWEET! Do I get free refills with that, Glenn????

Karen, LOL! :)

Steve (Scrover)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

so how do we shut these guys down?

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

don't send them money

Brian Kluge (Brianwi)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

someone can take an ad out on LRX claiming that it is a scam.

Please, let's protect the gullible yuppies!

Bri

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Please, let's protect the gullible yuppies!

why? :)

also, it may not be a scam, maybe those are just "stock photos". LOL. All I know is that I'd think reeeeeeeeeal hard before wiring any money...

John Kruger (Johnnyk)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I sent a message to LRX to remove the ad, hopefully they will.

Mel A. (Krawlrovr)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Seems fishy, but I asked them to send more photos of the blue and grey D-110s mentioning that the ones they sent me were fake. I also asked for a photo of different expedtions they have taken, their main office, etc. We'll see.

Thomas Dahbura (U352)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

About Us

For more than 20 years, Overland World has been at the forefront of adventure and discovery travel. Time has proven that our instincts were sound, as we see more and more people wanting to take part in the overland and trekking adventures that we have pioneered in several regions of the world. We are constantly remodeling and improving our circuits, and adding new destinations every year.

Our expeditions with the Explorers Society continue to enjoy great success. These voyages of pure discovery guarantee the unexpected, every time. When we were traveling in Mali on the road to Timbuktu, we ran into the famous musician Ali Farka Touré (the only African musician to have won a Grammy Award) in a small village, where he invited us to spend the afternoon in his home … another time, we had an audience with the King of the Gans, a tribe in Burkina Faso….

Our upcoming expeditions promise to be just as rich in emotions and adventures. Ethiopia: hiking in the Simien Mountains, where the descendants of King Solomon and the Queen of Sheba live … the discovery of Lalibela and its monolithic churches, and the tribes of the south, where the unique plateau women live … We are also preparing a rediscovery of Tibet, in the extreme eastern reaches of the country – an area that is still unknown to tourism.

Thomas Dahbura (U352)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hey Glenn-I'll take it!!! Do you take paypal ;)

and a double espresso

This is fascinating. I could never be a crook, I lack so much imagination.

Take a look at the main site at http://www.overlandworld.7p.com/index.htm

What a great story. Well done!!!

Tripp Westbrook (Tripp)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Guys, my friend got an e-mail exactly like the last one posted above, the only difference being that they said the Grey and BLUE one were available.

Also, they mentioned in the first e-mail that the SILVER one was already sold.

Definitely fishy.

T-

Tripp Westbrook (Tripp)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

One more thing.

Look closely at the background photo on their website with the vehicles for sale.

You'll see Camel Trophy vehicles. Not trucks from their trips.

Steve (Scrover)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

"We generally sell our vehicles twice per year or after 10,000 miles so continue to check back"

"We cover 20,000 miles of the continent by road, starting in Europe and ending at the Cape of Good Hope in southern Africa."

I guess they switch vehicles halfway through!

Steve Andrews (Sillybus)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

"It is a scam, but what would it take for a few like minded individuals to get together and get approval for other years?"

The first thing needed is to do some thorough research and determine which year would be best. The issues to consider, among others I'm sure, are how close to DOT Safety the year is. The closer the better. Then I'm sure there may be little things that make one year more desirable than the other.

Once that is determined and the application submitted, there is no guarantee the vehicle will be approved. If it is, only a registered importer that is authorized to perform the necessary changes to the vehicle to meet specs can do the work. Its going to cost a few baht but still should be much cheaper than a 93 NAS.

If anybody is serious about this, I am as well. I just don't want to do this by myself. Spread the work effort.

I don't remember the limit on vehicles that can be sold per year to avoid dealership status (and bonding, etc.). I believe it is either 6 or 10. It hasn't been done before due to the effort required. Once complete though, a couple of people could fly over to the UK, pick out a half dozen (inspect of course) and have them shipped.

I am over simplifying this but if you are really interested, let me know.

John Kruger (Johnnyk)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I just got this from the LRX webmaster:

"Thanks; just posted a detailed report with "bizhosting.com" the owner of
the "7p.com" web site."

He edited the listing at LRX to the following:

Advertisement to SELL; Product: 2001 DEFENDER; Price: 10100; (Currency: US Dollars)
2001 Defender 110 County Station Wagon, left hand drive, USA
WARNING: WE HAVE RECEIVED REPORTS THAT THIS ADVERTISER IS ASKING INTERESTED BUYERS TO SEND FUNDS TO AN OVERSEAS BANK ACCOUNT TO 'HOLD' A VEHICLE FOR PURCHASE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU SEND MONEY TO AN OVERSEAS BANK ACCOUNT UNLESS YOU HAVE ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY REGARDING THE IDENTITY OF THE SELLER. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED INSTRUCTIONS FROM THIS ADVERTISER TO SEND FUNDS OVERSEAS, PLEASE FILE A REPORT DETAILING WHAT YOU WERE TOLD WITH HIS WEB SITE HOSTMASTER AT http://www.7p.com/ DO NOT SEND MONEY IN RESPONSE TO THIS AD. THIS AD WILL REMAIN SUSPENDED UNTIL OR UNLESS WE ARE ABLE TO CONFIRM THIS ADVERTISER'S LEGITIMACY.

Mel A. (Krawlrovr)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

That's not a bad idea Steve. I believe that it won't be too hard to get this "petition" signed because it is legal to import a 1993 Defender 110. The newer model Defender's are safer than the 1993 models, so it should be a no-brainer for newer Defender 110s to be DOT approved.

Robbie (Robbie)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

and the "DWeb Scam Busters" do it again!

anon
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

In response to Overland's reply to my "ready to purchase" inquiry (below), I told them I'm ready to wire deposit money, but could they please clear up one thing before I do - why do the photos appear to be the same vehicles with different body colors and backdrops? I haven't heard back.........

>From: "Overland World - Customer Service Manager"
>To: "J Smectite"
>Subject: Re: ready to purchase
>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:09:09 +0700
>
>It looks as if all our current stock of vehicles have been sold.
>We do have four 110's that are currently on a tour in Mexico and will be
>ready for sale at the end of the month. They are all Silver models with the
>same setups as our others.
>All four have already been converted to US/California specs and are
>California reg, - Import taxs have already been paid as well.
>The prices will be near the same ($11,000 - $12,000) and will be inspected
>prior to sale.
>I do not think we will have any further 90's, as we do not normally use this
>model for our tours.
>
>If you are interested in holding the sale of these four 110's please send us
>a reply to: vehsales@overlandworld.7p.com
>
>Overland World

John Lee
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Isn't all of this merely academic? I thought nobody here wanted a Defender. No?

John Kruger (Johnnyk)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Really we are all just a lottery ticket away from getting one.

I think it may be worth while to petition for the addition of more recent years, but the importation is still a hastle.

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I'd go for a 90, 110, or that 130 triple door mobile home. But my pursuit of such is indeed purely academic.

Todd Sanders (Sanderskog)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

MMMMmmmmmm 130
130

Mel A. (Krawlrovr)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Okay, who are the people that actually put money down on these "US-spec" Defenders? Discowebers? D-90 people? Keep us updated with what is going on. That will be the ultimate factor here. Also anybody in the far East, Europe or Africa ever heard of these guys? Are they actually a real company?

Eric N (Grnrvr)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

You know the funny thing is that these guys could be drug dealers using the 110s to get drugs across the border into the USA from South America. Then they sell off the rigs after they remove all the drugs. Thus the cheap prices.. Either way though they'd probably take your cash and run.

I hope some one does buy on from them so that we will at least know for sure. I'd love to get a D90 Tomb Raider for 9 grand.. It would make a nice daily driver.

Tripp Westbrook (Tripp)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Or the money wired to Thailand winds up in some terrorists coffers.

nice.

Heath McGuire (Discoheath)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I just e-mailed there web master. Also US Customs has a fraud line. I am gonna call in the morning to see if they can get a line on whats going on.

Kim S (Roverine)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

This thread was getting so long - I really needed to leave, but my curiousity got the better of me, and I just had to read it ....

ROTFL!!!!!!!! I'm trying to catch my breath!! ... good god almighty, this is a good one, LOL!!! Too much. Let's see, (besides wiring the money to Blue, LOL) what was one of my favorite parts ... Something to the effect of, "Oh and now by the way, after you've wired us the money, don't forget to give us your information, you know, like your name ...

Glenn, maybe you could e mail them and ask them if they would entertain a deal for an even exchange with your "exclusive" mean green Range Rover? ... Send them a picture.

Oh man.

Kim

Phillip Perkinson (R0ver4x4)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Never buy something site unseen!!!!!!

kevin
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I ran into a scam like this last year. The company was called On Top Film Production Assistance. They claimed to be getting rid of 110's they used for VIP's to drive while shooting overseas. Same M/O as Overland. Sold almost new cars to make way for new ones. They also wanted money sent to a bank in the Phillipines. They only communicated via email and never gave a phone number that was legit. They claimed to have offices in San Fransisco and Hollywood but a search turned up no known buisness in either city.
The adds ran in Autotrader type companies on the internet only. They had a web site that also had a equipment for sale section but very little content for a company the size they claimed.
THIS IS A TOTAL SCAM

Glenn Guinto (Glenn)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Kim... now that's an idea....

Guys, guys... don't even try to figure out if it's real or not, IT'S A SCAM! Legit business is not conducted this way...But if you still think that there's a slight possibility, let me know, 'coz I'll sell you that New RR for a real bargain, heck I'll even throw in the Brooklyn Bridge!!!

-glenn

Kim S (Roverine)
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

LOL, Glenn,

yeeeaaaah, ..... yeaah, that's the ticket ... uh yeeeaaah .... and we, uh, we have to get rid of those D90's quick cuz, cuz we don't , uh , we don't even use them on our imperial expeditions, yeeaaah, that's it ... in fact, uh, we actually got a whole shipment of them by mistake! yeeaaaah!! .... :)

Kim

KJ
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Glenn,

I don't want no stinkin' bridge I just wanna bottomless cup of Latte Groovyco. Can you provide that????? Seems like such a SMALL thing to ensure good customer service....

Karen

Heath McGuire (Discoheath)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Here is another illegal truck. An Overfinch 110 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1869810193

Leslie N. Bright (Leslie)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I dunno Heath, that one is at least IN the US.... no, it may very well be one that has slipped through the cracks thus far, but, it may be legal too.... that one would require a bit more research, but the price is about right for a 110, so, it's not like it's a ridiculous low-ball price trying to get you to wire money to an account controlled from overseas....

It is listed as having 8-cylinders, but says Tdi on the side... my guess is, when it was brought in, to meet emmissions, they swapped a V8 in place of the Tdi.... I think it may be legit...

If you're really interested in it, email the fella and ask to have copies of the paperwork faxed to you so you can call and verify that it was properly imported.

-L

LucasSoucy
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Good job guys! I got so excited when I first saw the ad thinking it was like companies that do Mountain Bike tours. You know buy 100 bikes, beat them up for a season, have the shop make the drivable and then sell them. I've actually picked up a couple nice bikes that way, but I did it in person.

I went online last night and checked them out with the Better Business Bureau and you guessed it. Doesn't exist so they're going to research it for me. Nice guys the BBB.

Anyways I sent them a message that I'm ready to buy but I want to talk to someone on the phone. No call for me. Not even a response. What's the matter guys no Speaka the English? Why won't they let us use a credit card? If the company does these huge tours they must allow the use of a credit card otherwise who has the cash to take a 29 week trip through Africa? The answer is that credit cards have fraud protection.

This thing pisses me off so much. I've been searching for a D90 for about 3 years and trying to find one with low enough mileage and low enough price.

I'm with the people that want to apply to allow newer ones as imports. I think we would have to go with ones that are 2001 or newer and have the TD5 Diesel. It's cleaner and should pass emmissions testing or at least not be too hard to get too. The TD5 looks sweet! Also I thought there was a problem with them because they didn't have air bags or something rediculious like that. Any any case put me on the petition for imports.

Todd Sanders (Sanderskog)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Bidding on that Overfinch 110 would make me nervous. Something about "The car comes with a PA Certificate of Title. Sold "as is, where is."" reeks of trouble.

Todd

Leslie N. Bright (Leslie)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Oh, I sure wouldn't bid, not w/o seeing the paperwork first, and then VERIFYING it.... and not just the title, I'd check for a case number of some such to check when/who federalized it...

-L

send me money
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thank you for all the inquiries and $2500 wire transfers, but the blue 110 has been sold. I do, however, have two 110's that recently became available.

The first is a rare Murky Metallic Pewter with the much desired non-marking white tire option @ $12,300:
1,murk

The second is a Deep Zamboni Silver that was unfortunately rolled over by a charging elephant whilst traipsing through the jungle in northern Canada. Our Rover-certified mechanics have inspected it and it is warrantied for an additional decade. Asking price is $11,200:
2,rolly

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Thank you for all the inquiries and $2500 wire transfers, but the blue 110 has been sold. I do, however, have two 110's that recently became available.

The first is a rare Murky Metallic Pewter with the much desired non-marking white tire option @ $12,300:
murk

The second is a Deep Zamboni Silver that was unfortunately rolled over by a charging elephant whilst traipsing through the jungle in northern Canada. Our Rover-certified mechanics have inspected it and it is warrantied for an additional decade. Asking price is $11,200:
rolly

Glenn Guinto (Glenn)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Blue, you ruined your "send me money" disguise..

LOL

-glenn
can I have those white glow tires with the "black letter" showing outside?

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

yeah, forgot you can't post photos anonymously....

Brian Kluge (Brianwi)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

If you take emotions out of the equation, NO DEFENDER is worth this kind of hassle/expense.

The 'invisible hand' is telling people that they can't have it, so they want it. My UK-born buddy thinks I'm a total loser because I love Land Rovers, he even bought a baseball hat for me that has the word REDNECK on it along with a confederate flag. Us lusting over these vehicles is like a guy in Europe lusting over a '78 Bronco - ok, maybe not that bad but you get the point.

Take Ho's advice and do the 'been there, done that' but just skip the the 'been there' part.

THESE VEHICLES ARE NOT WORTH IT.

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

hehehe most say my 96 Disco is "worth" about $10k. But if I find someone that is willing to pay $20k, then is it not "worth it"?

Todd Sanders (Sanderskog)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Damn Blue. I thought the Deep Zamboni Silver one had some kind of high tech traction control that allowed it to crawl walls and ceilings. I was all ready to pay a premium until I saw you rolled it.

Todd

Blue (Bluegill)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Traction control that lets you drive upside down on overhead obstacles? Don't be ridiculous. I would clearly be a charlatan and a fraud if I offered that. However, I do have a red 110 equipped with Super Vacu-Jack Lockers that let you climb a 90 degree slope. It just became available. Price is $11,200. Wire money now, ask questions later.
red

Todd Sanders (Sanderskog)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

OOOOOooooooooooooooohhhh. That's what I am talking about

Unfortunately I am a complete imbecile and don't know how to wire money. Can I just send you large bundles of cash instead? Let me know whar your PO Box is in Thailand and I'll send the money today.

Carter Simcoe (Carter)
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Damn, I leave for a few days and miss all of this. Sucks because I really felt like sending $2,500 to Thailand to help out drug dealers, you guys just had to go and ruin it for me didn't you.

KJ
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Brian,

My Englishman pal thinks we're all nuts, too. While he and his family were living in the US, he drove and LOVED his Buick! When I told him I was thinking of buying a Rover he REALLY tried to talk me out of it, muttering under his breath about Yanks who don't know what comfort and room are all about! What's exotic and wonderful to one, is common and silly to another I suppose. I will him all my future Buicks.....

Karen

KJ
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Carter,

Support the local economy. Think "Home Grown"! HAHAHA!

Karen :)

Pugsly
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Their website is down now, a huge disappointment - made for some good conversation

http://www.overlandworld.7p.com/

I wonder how much money they made? You know some people had to have fallen for it.

John Kruger (Johnnyk)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I think the hosting company pulled the site, I bet it will be back up on a different domain some time soon.

John

John Cinquegrana (Johnc)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Why oh why??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1869810193

Mel A. (Krawlrovr)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I don't know about that D110 John, the wheels look ass ugly and the tires look too small to be on a Defender. I like the 330hp part though. But $39000 is steep for something like that.

Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Could he be ex military? I checked while i was living in england and if I sold my Jeep there I would have been able to import any vehicle that i purchased there. While i was there there are local dealers that you can order cars from the factory with american specs BMW, Sabb, Land Rover, Audi and several diffrent cars. I left there in 1998 the only thing was the car had to have an airbag which is required after 96? I think cant remember the year. Buy the way they drive jeeps and chevys over there like we drive land rovers and other imports here.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration