\b red{CRACKED EXHAUST MANIFOLD} Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

DiscoWeb Bulletin Board » Message Archives » 2003 Archives - Discovery Technical » Archive through June 28, 2003 » \b red{CRACKED EXHAUST MANIFOLD} « Previous Next »

Author Message

Jeff Farrell (Jeff_farrell)
New Member
Username: Jeff_farrell

Post Number: 3
Registered: 06-2003
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Well, I found a crack in my right(passenger side) exhaust manifold. Think I found the source of my Check Engine light. Anyone know of whom might manufacture a better exhaust manifold than the OEM units?? Think I'm gonna spring for the N.R.P. exhaust system as well. Any help in this area would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!:D Anyone put the NRP exhaust system on their D1?? How loud is it?? Much louder than stock?? I've been the route of loud exhaust back when I was 18 on my '78 Blazers.....that wore thin real quick.
So....the specifics....'97 Disco 1 SE7 4.0L.
Thanks for the help guys!!

M. K. Watson (Lrover94)
Senior Member
Username: Lrover94

Post Number: 862
Registered: 02-2002
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

i have the complete NRp system, its not to loud and its the last one you will proberly ever buy. i likes it.

mike w

Jeff Farrell (Jeff_farrell)
New Member
Username: Jeff_farrell

Post Number: 4
Registered: 06-2003
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

What are you running for exhaust manifolds?? Stock OEM's?? Know of anywhere to pick up a better exhuast manifold setup?? Good thing I have my Ford Van!!LOL Drive the Ford til it breaks, then drive the Disco.....Hopefully, they'll stay in sync and NOT break down together!! THAT WOULD BE BAD!!:D

M. K. Watson (Lrover94)
Senior Member
Username: Lrover94

Post Number: 863
Registered: 02-2002
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

stock. the stock exhaust header seems to work well and the NRP is set for the stockers. everyone seems to complain about the horsepower, it seems to me that for what its designed to do the horsepower is right on.

mike w

Christopher Boese (Christopher)
Member
Username: Christopher

Post Number: 86
Registered: 10-2002
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

For what it's worth, the flanges at the bottom end of both manifolds on my '95 were cracked. I had them welded, and that was all it took.

slider (Slider)
New Member
Username: Slider

Post Number: 20
Registered: 04-2003
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 09:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

i had the same crack there too!
welding it worked fine

Jim Sprott (Seasprott)
New Member
Username: Seasprott

Post Number: 3
Registered: 06-2003
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I put the NRP on my 97 and it was too loud for me. I called them and they sent me a second smaller muffler to replace the attenuator. I took it into a local shop and had it welded on. Sounds great.

Jeff Farrell (Jeff_farrell)
New Member
Username: Jeff_farrell

Post Number: 5
Registered: 06-2003
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I wish the crack was on the flange. It's between the cylinders on the main exhaust passage. My course of action would be to take it off, drill at the ends of the cracks to stop the crack from spreading, and then weld it back up....HOWEVER, the manifold being cast metal has me worried that it could be repeated again. Was really hoping someone knew of an aftermarket header that could be put on. Hmmmmm, wonder if duct tape and tinfoil would fix it??

Christopher Boese (Christopher)
Member
Username: Christopher

Post Number: 87
Registered: 10-2002
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Hardly sounds worth repairing. I understand those cracks are very common. I'd be looking for an aftermarket piece.

Shaun Power (Shaunp)
Member
Username: Shaunp

Post Number: 49
Registered: 05-2003
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

Replace both with some headers if you can't get a s/h unit.

Jeff Farrell (Jeff_farrell)
New Member
Username: Jeff_farrell

Post Number: 6
Registered: 06-2003
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I'd like to replace them w/ an aftermarket header/exhaust manifold. Just need to find someone who makes them. Ideas?? Anyone?? Bueller?? Bueller?? Anyone??

Joey (Joey4420)
Member
Username: Joey4420

Post Number: 73
Registered: 04-2003
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2003 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post

I have been looking for an aftermarket header as well, I have check with most of the major suppliers in the USA, and no one knows of a header for the Disco. There is a couple of companies that make them overseas, but they are for right hand drive only. (my guess is they do not have O2 sensors, but what do I know) I know that I contacted one manufacture overseas and got the following response.

"Sorry we cant do headers for left hand drive.

Thanks
Wayne Brown