DiscoWeb Message Boards

DiscoWeb Message Boards (https://discoweb.org/index.php)
-   Discovery - Technical Discussions (https://discoweb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Reset adaptive values (https://discoweb.org/showthread.php?t=92885)

Tammaru 12-02-2015 09:14 PM

Reset adaptive values

Hi!

Would there be anyone in the central jersey area
That could reset the adaptive values on my ecu? Thanks inadvance!

Tarmo

97 discovery

discostew 12-03-2015 07:53 AM

Re: Reset adaptive values

Have you tried to disconnect the battery and touch the two cables together? Called a hard reset and I think that will reset your adaptions.

Tammaru 12-03-2015 04:37 PM

I didn't think that worked with these ECUs? but I will give it a shot!

Tammaru 12-03-2015 05:01 PM

that didn't work, anyone in the area that would have the capability to reset the adaptive values? I really don't want to pay the dealership $150.

ERover82 12-03-2015 05:44 PM

Damn it'd be cheaper to ship it to OR and have me reset it.

acg 12-03-2015 06:37 PM

Can it be done with an Ultraguage? This may be a cheap solution for the OP.

fishEH 12-03-2015 07:29 PM

TestBook only I thought.

ERover82 12-04-2015 12:19 AM

Autologic, Faultmate, Nanocom, Lynx, Hawkeye, can reset adaptive values as well. Ultragauge can not. The only cheap way is to get someone else to do it.

Timmy!!!!!!! 12-04-2015 12:23 AM

What is the cheapest reader that can reset adaptive values?

ERover82 12-04-2015 12:41 AM

The ones I mentioned are all $500 and up. Newer and cheaper diagnostic systems aren't supporting GEMS.

Tammaru 12-04-2015 01:28 AM

if you are willing to reset it for me, I am more than willing to ship it back and forth to Oregon!

ERover82 12-04-2015 12:36 PM

If you don't find someone local, pm me. There's go to be hundreds of people that could do it in your area.

bendts 12-05-2015 04:17 PM

"reset the adaptive values on my ecu?"

Hadn't heard of this - What will this do/benefits?

discostew 12-08-2015 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tammaru (Post 1026540)
that didn't work, anyone in the area that would have the capability to reset the adaptive values? I really don't want to pay the dealership $150.

What are you trying to fix? I think maybe you did reset you adaptions but it didn't fix anything because that's not what's wrong with your truck.

discostew 12-08-2015 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bendts (Post 1026696)
"reset the adaptive values on my ecu?"

Hadn't heard of this - What will this do/benefits?

It will fix some fuel issues and close throttle position will be learned so the idle will improve

fishEH 12-08-2015 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discostew (Post 1026957)
What are you trying to fix? I think maybe you did reset you adaptions but it didn't fix anything because that's not what's wrong with your truck.

I don't think the adaptive values can be reset by the method he performed. I say that because a local Rover tech and shop owner reset mine for me twice, for free. I have to think he would have saved both of us the time and just told me to touch the battery leads together after being disconnected.
I don't ever plan on owning another AEL D1 but I guess I'd still be interested to know if the touching leads method works for sure.

ERover82 12-08-2015 03:13 PM

It doesn't work. Tried it a few times before I got a diagnostic tool.

robertf 12-08-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discostew (Post 1026958)
It will fix some fuel issues and close throttle position will be learned so the idle will improve

wouldnt just driving around cause it to average out the old values with the new values and arrive at the same adaptive value? I think the only benefit to resetting would be to speed up the process, or if the adaptive values are so far off after a repair that it wont run

ERover82 12-08-2015 03:42 PM

I've tested adjusting Long Term Fuel Trim manually with diag tool and it hasn't reverted to previous value in 6 months of driving.

discostew 12-08-2015 04:40 PM

I have to do it if someone changes a tps sensor sometimes. The biggest thing that needs to be done is relearning closed throttle position before you set the min idle . Like when you do it right and want the iac counts to be between 9 and 21 or whatever the target counts are

discostew 12-09-2015 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishEH (Post 1026995)
I don't think the adaptive values can be reset by the method he performed. I say that because a local Rover tech and shop owner reset mine for me twice, for free. I have to think he would have saved both of us the time and just told me to touch the battery leads together after being disconnected.
I don't ever plan on owning another AEL D1 but I guess I'd still be interested to know if the touching leads method works for sure.

You guys are probably right. I know on the newer stuff a hard reset will reset the adaptions. Remember I'm old and every time I learn something about something new. Something has to get pushed out, no more room.I think they call it forgetful.

Somebody told me that shit would make me forgetful but I can't remember who said it now.

Was it Glen who reset those adaptions for you?

fishEH 12-09-2015 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discostew (Post 1027095)
You guys are probably right. I know on the newer stuff a hard reset will reset the adaptions. Remember I'm old and every time I learn something about something new. Something has to get pushed out, no more room.I think they call it forgetful.

Somebody told me that shit would make me forgetful but I can't remember who said it now.

Was it Glen who reset those adaptions for you?

No, George. Glen replaced a brake light switch for me when I first got my truck. When I got the bill I realized i better learn to work on my own trucks. Only time I've had it back at the shop since then was for the adaptive values.

discostew 12-11-2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishEH (Post 1027097)
No, George. Glen replaced a brake light switch for me when I first got my truck. When I got the bill I realized i better learn to work on my own trucks. Only time I've had it back at the shop since then was for the adaptive values.

I never worked with Glen but we know who each other are. I think he's a good tech and it's always good to see a guy get out from under dealerships. My old service manager said to me "He writes a great story"
The pen is the strongest tool we use sometimes to get paid. That man knows how to play the game.

Injuhneer 12-30-2015 11:13 AM

I guess the related question would be; has anyone hacked the ECU/ECM to determine what happens during the reset? If it could be identified I'd be all for cracking open the box and jumpering some pins or something.

robertf 12-30-2015 11:29 AM

There's a lot going on there. I'm guessing based on the vintage that the adaptive values are stored in at least 2 serial eeproms since there are 2 processors. I think one is for ignition (ti chip by the green eprom) and the other (by the blue eprom) handles everything else. I read a bunch of EPROMs and was planning on starting disassembling them next time work sends me to nowhere for a few weeks

http://www.flemcodesign.com/pics/IMG_1679.JPG

Looks like the chip under the green EPROM may be one of the serial eeproms. I'll have to get some #s off it and check later