Injector Replacement

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I'm going to replace all the fuel injectors on my 178k mile 1996 D1 with these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Year-Warr...ash=item3f2c46b26d:g:SSsAAOSwu1VW6bea&vxp=mtrhttp://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.com/catalog/item/4511825/4778005.htm

These are the Bosch 0280155746 recommended here.

While I'm there I'll replace the valve cover gaskets as well.

So for all of you who have done injectors before: what else do I need? Do I just need the injectors and the gaskets for the valve covers? Anything else consumable that needs replacing for this job? All my hoses, etc are in great shape.

Last edited:

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
You'll need injector o-rings if they don't come with them. New bolts for the valve covers since they have a seal on them. You will also need some sort of flange sealant or hylomar for the upper intake and plenum.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
You'll need injector o-rings if they don't come with them. New bolts for the valve covers since they have a seal on them. You will also need some sort of flange sealant or hylomar for the upper intake and plenum.

The intake needs to come off too? In addition to the plenum?

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
The intake needs to come off too? In addition to the plenum?

Not the lower section, but the middle section. I may be wrong about that, but I thought that had to come off to pull the fuel rail.

It is probably a good idea to replace the fuel rail since they are prone to rusting internally.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL

New bolts for the valve covers? What seal? We're talking about the bolts that take a 5/16" 12pt socket, right. None of my D1's had a seal on these bolts.

robert.juric

May 16, 2017
North Alabama
If you're going to remove the valve covers, I believe you have to remove the heater return pipe from the lower manifold. There is an oring on that you would want to replace as well.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
The seal on the bolts disintegrates over time, hence my recommendation of replacement.

Huh, how about that. Still I could barely find any mention of these seals anywhere. Ebay was the only place I saw them for sale. You'd think most LR Parts retailers would sell them along with the bolts, but they don't.
Looks like a simple o-ring though.

Jeez. AB wants $3.50 each for the seals for these.
I think you're looking at the wrong part, for a later RR. I would just bring a bolt to the hardware store and pick some o-rings to fit.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I wasn't aware of the availability of those seals as a separate item. They are formed onto the bolt and not removable. A dab of Right Stuff would work too.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
I'm surprised with how dirty the valve cover is considering how clean the motor is. Someone has probably done a head job on it and had a heated parts washer for the rocker shafts.

It wasn't thick, just baked on splatter. The heads were done 30,000 miles ago but still considering most of that is low speed trail running and city driving I'm glad I don't have a sludge problem. I (and the previous owner) am meticulous with oil changes and sea foam.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
Well crap. I guess I have the Gen II or Gen III (or whichever) injectors because these clips don't fit.

How necessary are these clips? What is their purpose? Can I just safety wire each of the injectors to the fuel rail?