Get togethers

K

Kyle

So we always have off road trips planned here but never really any off road/hunting or fishing trips.
We need to correct this...

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
Sounds like a good idea Kyle...I don't hunt but Ivan does and I bet he'd be up for meeting some of you guys for an expedition! We wish we could convince his dad to let us host a mini Rover event at their cabin...!

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
Wanting to learn

I've been wanting to learn to fly-fish. Supposedly some good places not far away, over towards Mt. Rogers, or Dennis Cove, or the Smokies, but I've just never hmade the time to go get any gear and get out there and learn.......

Sounds like something for this late summer, maybe the fall......

-L

Eric N.

Apr 20, 2004
Falls Church, VA
That sounds like a damn good idea.. You guys talking a weekend trip or just looking for a day thing? Would be up for some fishing. Though, I don't know how to fly fish I'm always willing to let some one teach me. Not having gone hunting in a few years, is there anything even in season right now?

If you want to take a long trip we could go up to Canada next Sep. Week of fishing on a lake, but, I'm not sure about the wheeling in the area.

H

Hokie_Rover

Leslie,
The Damascus area is supposed to have some of the best in the state; next time you're up near Roanoke, stop in at Orvis -- they can help you with good places to fish in your area. (and they can sell you gear if you want; not always expensive, last time I was there they were having a pretty awesome sale; they'll also take you out on the street or up on the roof and teach you to cast) I've had some fun up on the North Fork of the Tye River in Nelson County, really fun place to fly fish.

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
Damascus

Where I live, NW of Kingsport, is about a hour from Damascus.... but we're over there a LOT, because my inlaws live there. Heck, I could trout-fish w/in walking distance of their house in-town, but I'm sure the better spots would be w/in 20-min driver from their house.....

I've not been in that Orvis store in Salem in over 6 years.... wasn't ever looking for fishing gear at the time (never went into the one in downtown Roanoke).

I'll have to make a mental note to figure out what all I need.... there's a half-dozen guys here in the office that are BIG-TIME fly fishermen....

-L

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
I say let's grab the dogs and go to North Dakota for some real pheasant hunting. That's where my dog's from. I'm sure she would like to get back where she belongs and find some birds.

D

D Chapman

Leslie, Look into Mossy Creek in the Bridgewater, Va area... Fly fishing only and is mantained by Trout Unlimited. Then, while you are here you can hit the trails in the GWNF. Fishing, Camping and Wheeling....

Tree Trimmer

Apr 30, 2004
Foothills of NC
outer banks of NC

On the South Core Banks in NC there is a ferry/fishing operation with cabins, gas water heaters and stoves. No electricity. There is abouty 25 miles of beach to drive on and some great surf fishing. Check out www.drumwagon.com I think.

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
D Chapman said:
Leslie, Look into Mossy Creek in the Bridgewater, Va area... Fly fishing only and is mantained by Trout Unlimited. Then, while you are here you can hit the trails in the GWNF. Fishing, Camping and Wheeling....

I'll look into that at some point, maybe..... given that that would be 3 hours past Damascus, I figure I'd better start local first.....

-L

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
I have a friend that owns a lodge in NW ontario that has access to some very remote musky lakes. most are way to small and irregular shaped to fly into so the only access is by a very well equipped 4x4.

the best time would be in early august when the water is at its annual peak temp. I have been into a number of these lakes and the flyfishing for musky is astounding.

I would be glad to set it all up and of course make the trip :cool:

it would make a great video that would reach outside the rover world as well.

Thom

S

SOLO

I've been itching to go to Maine and do some serious fishing. Anyone up for it??

Larry

Steve

Apr 20, 2004
Eastern Shore of MD
Mista Chapman. I've been talking to some other guys about doing a GWNF trip in late August. Keep me in the loop. That area isn't too far from me.

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
The dog says she's up for chasing pheasants in the Dakotas and she might even let me tag along.

Is it bird season yet?

how bout now?

how much longer?

are we there yet?

KevinNY

Dec 28, 2004
Waxhaw,NC
How about a spring black bear hunt on the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec, and hour or so north of Maine? A group of 5 is 695/person, food included.

Z

zeeto

MUSKYMAN said:
I have a friend that owns a lodge in NW ontario that has access to some very remote musky lakes. most are way to small and irregular shaped to fly into so the only access is by a very well equipped 4x4.

remote lakes and musky mean big ones :D

we only have tiger's up on the lake my family has a camp on. too many people so most don't grow too big before someone pulls them out...