hard shifting

A

anthony

96 d1 108k
anybody have any suggestions as to what kinds of things cause hard shifting?? shifts so hard (and fast) jerks the truck, especially going into 4th. funny thing is, if you put the gas to the floor it shifts much smoother. filter and fluid changed in ****** 3k ago (didnt help)! i was thinking mabe a-frame bushing as i also have the "clunk" when hitting brakes too fast.
thanks in advance

K

Kyle

Mi9ght need to back off the TV cable pressure a little...

A

anthony

come again???
what is it where is it and how to adjust??

A

anthony

come on guys, someone has to have been through this???

K

Kyle

Throttle Valve cable. It has alot to do with internal pump pressure in the trans. Some people (wrongly) call it the "Kick down" cable..

A

anthony

awesome,
backed off tv cable abit and shifts as smooth as a babys bottom!
thanks kyle!

J

jacabrera

I am having a similar problem with my 96 Disco 114K miles. In the AM with the engine cold, the transmission revs up to 4K RPM before it shifts from 2nd to 3rd. Once the engine has been running for a while, the transmission shifts fine. I check the fluids and seems in order. I'll give this a try this weekend as well (TV adjustment).

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
Jacabrera, you have a different problem. Your problem is the valves in the valve body getting stuck when cold, perhaps due to dirt. Start the truck, let it run in neutral and warm up.
You are real close to a fluid filter change. That should help.

A

anthony

chriss is right, if it is shifting fine dont adjust this because you run the risk of getting it too soft and burning up your clutches, i agree w/ the fluid filter change...if you need help w/this send me an e-mail!