engine mounts or what?

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
charles said:
Go to a shop that has a lift. Usually a muffler shop or tire shop. Lift the truck unbolt the mounts. The shop here in San Antonio braced a pipe from the floor to the block and lowered the lift. They then pulled the old mounts out and put the new ones in $35.00. If you are going to DIY you will need 2 2x4s and use the oil pan to lift. I remember a post with a pic here long ago.

Charles

damn, be careful if you're doing that. That's a great way to drop the truck right out from under the engine. Personally, I wouldn't trust the local muffler or tire boys to finesse my mounts out using that method...those lifts can drop pretty fast.

charles

Apr 20, 2004
SA TX
www.prestigeone.cc
Slipping the old mounts out and the new mounts in are easier said than done. I can assure you it is alot safer than the 2x4 method. The damn 2x4s could slip out. They do motor mounts all day long. It is not just a pipe. It has a brace on the floor and a bracket on the other end to secure it the engine to a place on the engine.

A

anthony

ok,
well all the mounts checked out. so i got under thewre and took a look at my NEW rotoflex joint (just put in a month ago) and it is entirely shot all to hell and back! the rubber already has multiple cracks and what looks to be holes between two of the holes where the nuts go through it. also the rubber is so weak that the connecting bolts are rubbing gouges in the flange. this would explain all the shaking going on...especially up hill and under load!
alright, confession time... i know i am a moron because i did not change the internal bushing when i put the new rotoflex on!! like everything else in my life i have learned the hard way! however, on the bright side my sneaking suspicions about my mechanic being a moron also (who told me that he NEVER bothers changing that damn bushing) has just been confirmed! life is a funny thing...but it sure is awesome!

DISCO ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knebusch

Banned
Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte, NC
www.gcvalves.com
anthony, have you thought about switching the driveshaft from the rotoflex to a gbr or tom woods, etc. u-joint?

check out the tech section for the article there. i think after a couple more rotoflex changes you will have spent close to a new one.

i changed my rotoflex right after my ome lift but didn't change the bushing. it didn't look bad but the rotoflex tore up pretty quick. i have read that it doesn't always have to be changed. i am sure mine was destroyed due to the lift though.

good luck,

ken