93 lwb help is this normal...cooling fan question??

jmonsrvr

Apr 20, 2004
montara, ca & newport beach, ca
hi all, i have never noticed this before and only just yesterday was it noticeable, but i want to know if this is normal:
yesterday girlfriend went out to start 93lwb (she said it was cold and had not been turned over all day, just moving from one end of driveway to other) she started truck moved it about 20 ft. shut off truck and the front cooling fans came on. she said they were loud and stayed on for about 5 minutes...she did the same thing again later in the day to see if it would do it again and it did......
now i know the cooling fans come on when the engine/ac has been running for some time...is this normal???? or a symptom? cheers (maybe its nothing, but im trying to find out before i get home)

scrover

It's not normal. The electric fans should only come on when the truck is REALLY hot or when the A/C is on. Probably an electrical issue. Follow the wires from the fans, see if there are any breaks in the insulation. They go off to the pass. side and then back across to the fan switch in the thermostat housing. If you short those two wires going to the fan switch, the fans should come on if the ignition is on. My fans never come on with the ignition off. Maybe your fan switch is bad - even so, I don't think the fans should stay on with the key removed :confused:

SC

jmonsrvr

Apr 20, 2004
montara, ca & newport beach, ca
when i get home i will have to check out.......i talked to my girlfriend today and she said she drove it around all day and no repeat of the original symptoms. i will check all wires for insulation cracks...cheers

draaronr

Apr 20, 2004
wilmington, nc
It's not normal, definitely sounds like something is wrong with the switch. On the other hand if your vehicle was hot and had been run for awhile it would stay running after shutting the vehicle off to continue cooling. check the switch

J

JeffreyDV

I have a 92 and I had a 89 and they both did this. They dont do it all the time. Seems like this happens if you do a quick move, say in the driveway.

Jeff