Import a Deffender

BaldEagle

Sep 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
find an import/export lawyer if you want real legal advice, just so you can be sure. i'd hate to make a big decision on something like with internet advice. however, the general consensus (sp?) on this site is it must be over 25 years old. i'd do a search on it, alot of people here have looked into it.

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
AFAIK, the 25 year rule does not apply if the vehicle meets North American specifications for that model year. The specifications for the German market are *real close* to those for the North American market.

Wallenius Lines has weekly sailings from Wilhelmshaven (sp??) to Portsmouth, VA with a stop in Liverpool. Ro-ro is the way to go. Contact T. Parker Host Co. in Norfolk as the customs broker.

Good luck

Last edited:

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
apg said:
AFAIK, the 25 year rule does not apply if the vehicle meets North American specifications for that model year. The specifications for the German market are *real close* to those for the North American market.

But Sandy, you know as well as I do that there wasn't a 2005 Defender imported to North America.....

So unless it's a '93 D110SW V8 , '94-95 D90V8, or a '97 D90V8, it's gonna have to wait until it's 25 years old...

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
supersquid said:
I found a great 2005 Deffender in Germany and want to bring it over to the states. Can anyone give me any advise on importing a truck from Germany to the USA?? Thanks
It would most likely be much cheaper to buy a NAS D90 and make any mods you want that the 2005 model year has. Bringing a vehicle up to EPA/DOT spec is not cheap.
This has been a topic of discussion in the Land Rover community ever since Land Rover pulled out in 1974. If it were easy, you'd see a lot of grey market Land Rovers on the road. And I don't mean 25 year old or '98 D110's titled as '67 109's.

whatroad

Banned
Mar 8, 2007
Union, ME
supersquid said:
I found a great 2005 Deffender in Germany and want to bring it over to the states. Can anyone give me any advise on importing a truck from Germany to the USA?? Thanks

Step 1....jump head first down a flight of stairs

Step 2....repeat step 1

Step 3....fawkin forget about it.....ah, hello, has this topic not been discussed in great length like some hundred times already:banghead:

supersquid

Jul 24, 2006
Louisville
www.myrvadvantage.com
Quick FYI I have over 3 year experence in the fun world of internal trade and have talked to some import experts. This is no big deal and most of the stuff you have heard is false. I can bring them in all day and work the title issue's out on the stat level. I live in KY and if you have ever seen some of the crap with a title on our roads you will think the same way I do. So if I bring a couple in and title them who wants one???

BaldEagle

Sep 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
supersquid said:
Quick FYI I have over 3 year experence in the fun world of internal trade and have talked to some import experts. This is no big deal and most of the stuff you have heard is false. I can bring them in all day and work the title issue's out on the stat level. I live in KY and if you have ever seen some of the crap with a title on our roads you will think the same way I do. So if I bring a couple in and title them who wants one???

k if your an expert i fail to see why you asked us. i can get anything put on a boat and shipped, its getting it legaly registered in america, let alone kentucky, that is the hard part. i.e. getting a VIN# required for registration. but you already know that aparently.

hell i'm sure if it were THAT easy you could probaly at least order them from a dealer individually.

Last edited:

scottjal

Mar 16, 2006
Nashua, NH
scottjal.ath.cx
supersquid said:

Sweet, sign me up for a Diesel 110 wagon. Deliver to me with NH plates and title! Let me know what the $$$ is, I have paypal.

supersquid said:

LOL. Just because you are getting them in and titling them does not mean they are legal.

I too have some experience in international trade. Ethical shipping companies won't even load an illegal vehicle on the ship. Legally shipping a vehicle means declaring it to the shipping company and providing documentation indicating it is legal to import into the receiving country, that you have proof of ownership and approval to remove it from its host country.

FWIW, I have seen a beautiful 2001 110 in Jefferson county with a Kentucky VIN tag with the original VIN on it. This does not mean it was completely legal.

Willenius Wilhelmsen WILL NOT load a vehicle without proper paperwork. I have done it and have the truck to show for it (if you want a pretty solid 109, lemme know, SWMBO wants it sold NOW!). I have also made arrangements for non-US citizens to bring otherwise unlawful vehicles in and I have also assisted them with shipping vehicles out of the US.

Note-do not attempt to bring vehicles in from the mid-east unless you already have a good relationship with both the shipper and the customs agent.

scubaman99

Jun 7, 2004
Sunnyvale, CA
www.keepmedia.com
supersquid said:

DUDE... If your such an "automotive import/expert" and if you can get ANY 97-2007 D90 or D110 in the US completely LEGAL... you could start a NICE little business.

As a matter of fact... hell I'd be one of the first guys at your front door with cash in hand...