P38 susp. "aired down" after put on car lift

tanabnd

May 4, 2005
Wellington, CO
So I just got some new tires put on my 2000 Range Rover at Sam's Club. After going through it with them about how careful to be about the size and torque they use to take off the lugnuts, it seems there is another caveat. I think I recall reading on this board or somewhere else that putting a P38 on a lift will extend the airbag springs. Well, after the tires were mounted, the truck was put back on the ground and parked, sitting on the bumpstops.
After a while of the compressor running (30-40 mins), I resumed normal height and received no EAS faults, but I don't want to do this again.
How do I tell a shop to replace the tires without lifting it? What would a LR shop do?

Thanks.

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
a different lift.

uh I have heard about this happening and tire shops replacing those air bags. i imagine they probally have a floor jack at very least.. say like changing a tire......

DougG

Oct 7, 2006
Cooperstown NY
This happened to me a few years ago. My local mechanic was doing a repair, and left my P38 on the lift overnight. I picked the truck up the next day and drove home with the front end on the bump stops. I called him up and he said " I thought your RR was driving kind of funny". I looked under the truck, and the left front air spring was totally disconnected. I drove it back to the shop that day and pointed out the problem. He used a trolly jack to jack up the chassis and re-seated the spring. I started the RR up and the spring filled with air, and all was well. No fault or anything. I just had the RR for about 6 months, and was new to Land Rovers, so we both learned a lesson that day. Now he knows how to do it properly.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
Ask em to use a floor jack or a lift that holds it up by the axles. There might be a procedure in the owners manual for lifting it.

carlosz

Apr 20, 2004
Annandale,Va
I second PT, use a four post or dirve on lift like the ones used for aligment then once on the lift you use the built in jacks and jack up the axles