Jack?

Gumarcel

Apr 21, 2004
DC
Ok, so I noticed today that the Jacks that I have for the Rover are not tall enough to lift the truck up. I am on 235.85 MT and I was wondering what I should use as a jack that is tall enough. And don't say hi-lift.

Chris

MTNHDWR

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte NC

Gumarcel

Apr 21, 2004
DC
If I used somethign under the jack like said 'stump' would that put too much pressue on said 'stump' and cause it to brake?

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
if you want a rolling hydraulic jack, look for one that goes to about 21". that should get you off the ground pretty easily. i grabbed a cheapy from one of the local autoparts places that was going out of business.

JacIntyre

Apr 20, 2004
Jack

Not trying to be a jerk here, but did you try placing the jack under the axle instead of the Rover jacking point. My DII is on 265/75s(about the same OD as the 235/85) and I have used this method to change out the tires with the stock bottle jack without maxing it out.

Gumarcel

Apr 21, 2004
DC
JacIntyre said:
Not trying to be a jerk here, but did you try placing the jack under the axle instead of the Rover jacking point. My DII is on 265/75s(about the same OD as the 235/85) and I have used this method to change out the tires with the stock bottle jack without maxing it out.
I do go under the axle when i jack it.

D

DiscoJag

Jack, what Jack ?

I'm new to the list and would like to say thanks already. You guys seem to have all the same problems (features) that I do. About the jack - I did buy my '96 Discovery used a couple of years ago, and I believe the jack hardware is original, it fits nicely under the hood, but when I went to check out the jack before going on a vacation trip I was downright astounded that the thing would not reach the axle fully extended. I read the owners manual and it did not say anything about finding a handy stump to place under the jack. I mean that puny little bottle jack is useless ! Am I missing something here ? What if I actually needed the thing ? Has anyone out there changed a tire using the original jack ?
Thanks much,
Jim Legge :eek:

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
Has anyone out there changed a tire using the original jack ?

quite a few times actually. maybe your jack isn't working and you aren't getting full extension? do you have really large tires? with my 235/85's I can jack up any corner I need and change a tire with the little, red, factory jack from under the hood.

MTNHDWR

Apr 20, 2004
Charlotte NC
MTNHDWR said:
You could use your stock jack and a stump.

I feel it necessary to admit I was being somewhat sarcastic when I wrote the above statement. It seems however that several peeps took my suggestion literally. I would never suggest using a stump to support a jack. Rovers are are porky and I wouldn't trust supporting their weight with a piece of wood, no matter how solid it may seem. So, with my conscience at ease. . . .

Happy Rovering :D

D

DiscoJag

Jack ? what Jack ?

Okay, not trying to be a pain, but really maybe I'm missing something. The jack in my Disco is red and stores under the hood. It's about 5 inches tall and when fully extended it's about 10 inches tall. Is there a trick to operating it ? I surely don't believe it telescopes up to lift the Rover. I may be exagerating here, but I could probably drive over it fully extended with the Disco and not even touch it.
Cheers,
Jim Legge

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
i'm thinking you aren't getting full extension then? there should be two cylinders in the jack. the main one, and then a thinner one that should get the axle off the ground. if i remember, i will get a picture tonight for you.

Jasrover

Apr 21, 2004
Jim, on my 96 D1 the jack is black and stored under the rear seat by the roof cross rails. I have fortunately never had to use it to change a flat but it does not seem to be as small as yours. Are you sure you have the original jack? Does anyone else have this jack?

D

DiscoJag

Jack ? What Jack ?

Thanks Robbie. I did not think mine had two cylinders in it, but maybe it does. Yes, mine stores under the hood, right front if you're standing in front of the truck looking under the hood. That's where the manual says it should be and it's secured with a velcro strap. There's supposed to be a wheel chock too, but mine is gone. I guess I could attach a picture. Robbie if you could, that would be great.
Thanks,
Jim Legge

Gumarcel

Apr 21, 2004
DC
Jasrover said:
Jim, on my 96 D1 the jack is black and stored under the rear seat by the roof cross rails. I have fortunately never had to use it to change a flat but it does not seem to be as small as yours. Are you sure you have the original jack? Does anyone else have this jack?

No the jack is red and right behind the driver's side headlight. I don't see how a bottle jack could fit under the seats. eeek, that would hurt for your passengers.

Robbie this pic would be awesome, thanks. I will get mine out once it stops raining and show a picture.

koby

Mar 26, 2004
Orange, CA
koby.sigmadata.net
Gumarcel said:
Ah yes, ron the only problem is that there is still no where for me to jack it up.

What do you mean?

Simply put the off road base under the bottle jack, and put the bottle jack under the side of the axle (not radius arm) of the wheel you wish to change...

koby

Mar 26, 2004
Orange, CA
koby.sigmadata.net
Did you not read my post?

This is turning into a lame thread too.

here...

put this:

DCP_1121_.jpg

under this:

DCP_1422_.jpg

to lift like this: