RIM width and tire size question..

scubaman99

Jun 7, 2004
Sunnyvale, CA
www.keepmedia.com
Question for you tire guru's....

its it possible (without Jeopardizing my health or safety) to mount a 245/75/16 tire on a Land Rover 16 x 8 rim.

the recomended rim width of the 245/75/16 tire is 7"....

will 1 inch really make that much difference??? i have no doubts i can mount the tire on the rim... but what im wondering is what will happen to the tire??? will it blow off the rim... if i drive on the freeway... will i have a greater tendency to break a bead if i air down....

can 1" really make a difference?

S

Snwbord24

I don't think it will, but I'm not a tire guru either. I think all you'll be doing really is making the tire diameter effectively smaller by using a wider rim.

S

Snwbord24

p m said:
how's that?

Wider rim lowers effective sidewall height, making the tire diameter smaller. Granted it's not very much at all.

D

discocolo

Ken,

I'm running that size tire on my DII, and have had no problems. No problems with rubbing during pretty heavy off-roading either. I don't have a lift yet. I love the way this size tire looks on the DII's. It really fills out the wheel wells nicely, and give 1 1/2" - 2" of lift over the standard tire size. Take a look at the pics.

I'm not a tire guru either though.

ps. You will have to move your spare tire carrier up if you have a DII.

Jeff

Attachments

• Rover3.jpg
    Rover3.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 202
  • Rover4.jpg
    Rover4.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 191

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Shane,

a tire in question is 9.5" wide, and he was going from 7"-wide rim to an 8"-wide rim.
So, in my humble opinion, the sidewalls go from sloped-in to a little less sloped-in shape. Which should make the tire taller.

It's splitting hairs, anyway.

More important is that his sidewalls will bulge out more, and unforeseen clearance issues may crop in. Also, as the rim width increases, the tire is more likely to come off the rim at the same air pressure - so I would keep the pressure up about 5 psi on the street, and up 8-10 psi from what I'd use off the pavement.

scubaman99

Jun 7, 2004
Sunnyvale, CA
www.keepmedia.com
so this is what i'm thinking of doing....

i have a DI that used to be my daily driver... for which i bought a set of 16x7 standard LR steel wheels and putting Goodyear MT/R's on them as my "off road tires" the tires them selves only have 6 off road trips on them, so they are basically still brand new.

i recently got a 01 P38 for which i just bought a set of 16x8 wheels (just like the ones in your pic jeff). i was going to mount the MTR's on the new alloys i just bought and use them as my "off road" set for the P38 as well

im not worried so much with the tire hight because of the air suspension... i was more concerned that (for whatever reason) they wouldnt stay on the rim or that if you mounted a tire that was made for a 7" rim on a 8" rim you'd be "playing russian roulette" with your life... but i cant see how 1" would make a difference but i thought i'd ask before someone said "what the hell were u thinking"

anyway, nice pics jeff... so you are using the same combo, cool!!! thx for the pics

shane/anyone... being that im thinking of putting this combo on a P38 anything else i should consider doing (more air/less air). i think my P38 is a little heavier then a DII so im assuming that means more air?!?!?

KEN

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
You can run them at the same air pressure as you do the other tires on the other rims.
I normally run tires about 5 psi above recommended pressure (on stock rims); I would bump it up a couple of notches if my rims were 1" wider than stock (42 front & rear on a RRC, on the highway - you have your stock numbers on the door jamb).

There's nothing "russian roulette"-ish about it.

Tree Trimmer

Apr 30, 2004
Foothills of NC
I think I would be more concerned with the slightly increased risk of hitting the rim while off roading rather than the difference it would make in the diameter of the tire. JMHO

RKurk

Apr 20, 2004
Aptos, California
I have BF Goodrich MT's 245/75 - 16's mounted on factory 16x8 wheels (on a 2002 Discovery II) and have had no problems to date on road or off road. For what's it worth, Rover sets up their Rover Trek competition Discovery's with 245/75 - 16's on 16x8's and I can assume that they would have stopped doing this if there were problems (I hope !).

Rich Kurk

Gumarcel

Apr 21, 2004
DC
discocolo said:
Ken,

I'm running that size tire on my DII, and have had no problems. No problems with rubbing during pretty heavy off-roading either. I don't have a lift yet. I love the way this size tire looks on the DII's. It really fills out the wheel wells nicely, and give 1 1/2" - 2" of lift over the standard tire size. Take a look at the pics.

I'm not a tire guru either though.

ps. You will have to move your spare tire carrier up if you have a DII.

Jeff

245/75/16 are about 31 inches. How could that have given you 1.5-2 inches of lift. Were your tires 25 inches before. I know on my D1, the stock size are about 29 inches (235.70.16). It would give about an inch.

mikem

Apr 19, 2004
Superior, CO
scubaman99 said:
okay is anyone running a 245/75/16 on a 16x8 rim???

:confused:

Ken,

I've been running that size tire on my stock rims for over a year. and haven't had any problems (except the flat on the Alleghany trip :( )

Mike
99 D2

scubaman99

Jun 7, 2004
Sunnyvale, CA
www.keepmedia.com
Hey Chris

just for clairifcation, the new rims i got are for a DII... it was my understanding that the DII rims were the same offset and bolt pattern as the P38's.

anyway, the wheels should be here in a couple of weeks... now my next challenge is getting the MT/R's mounted on the rims... and my the next BIG challenge is mounting those on my P38... course that challenge is more of a "wife" challenge... as she doesnt mind me wheeling my 95DI... but has made it clear that she doesnt want me to "beat up the new car by taking it off road" :eek: :D ;)

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
Ken..phew......good job. You reminded me that the first p38 I saw off road was a 4.6 with 16 inch/8 rims (alloy genuine) and 245/75s.

If they are steel rims, can you use the alloy nuts like a d1?

Keep her new toy detailed and she'll be happy