Sunroof Screens

JCooper

Jul 1, 2004
Memphis, TN.
I have a '95 Disco and two of the four sunroof screens have broken clips. These are the retractable screens for shade. I can't find them anywhere aftermarket. Is this a dealer only item??

Also.....is there a way to repair the clips or would I have to buy the entire assembly?

H

Hokie_Rover

This is from roverconnection.com:

Part Number: RCDSCLP1 Price: $8 Land Rover Genuine

Description: Sunroof Shade Clip

HTH,
-Alan

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
i am pretty sure that sunroof clip is the clip that attaches permanently to the roof. if, like mine, your clip on the shade itself broke, then there is no replacement except a new shade. or you can rig up something and attach it to the broken clip. quite a few people have gone this route.

jec

Apr 28, 2004
Cloudcroft, NM
Drill and tap the plastic remainder of the original clip that is still attached to the shade, using an 8-32 tap. Then with a short screw and washer, attach either a large (heavy guage) paperclip, shortened and bent into a loop to grab the frame and hold the shade in place (the approach I have used), or others have attached one of the picture-hanging washers that consist of a washer with a hook attached. Either fix should last longer than the factory original hooks, which cannot be purchased except by buying the entire shade assembly.

JCooper

Jul 1, 2004
Memphis, TN.
Thanks for the input guys. I believe I"m going to attempt the repair. I think I can probably drill the plastic as you've stated then bolt on a small piece of flat stock metal. Paint it black to match and nobody knows but me..........back to work.

H

Hokie_Rover

Huh? The item is entitled "Sunroof Shade Clip" on the roverconnection site ... forgive my ignorance, but how could that attach to the roof? Shoot -- for $8, I'd at least call them before using a kluge like a paperclip. Just my opinion ...

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
those are the clips that attach to the front of your sunrooof, that are permanently mounted there, that your shade then clips to. this has been discussed ad nauseam before on the old site (including these rover connection clips). the only genuine fix is by replacing the shade or by unfolding the old shade end, removing the whole plastic bar that the clip attaches to (it's all one piece), and replacing that bar with a new one, and regluing the material back down.

H

Hokie_Rover

Ahhh .... <moment of enlightenment> ...

Thanks for the clarification.

-Alan

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
no problem. that was one of those been there done that's for me. in fact, i even tried purchasing a replacement shade from someone parting a truck and got screwed on the deal (sent money, no shade). so leaves me a little bitter :cool:

Ranger_Ivan

Jul 13, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Thanks for the help. I've got yetanother '95 Disco with 50% busted clips. It must be a conspiracy... ;)

So, now I need to come up with a couple of paper clips. After talking to some folks, I realized that it would be tough to replace the entire screen, so this is a much nicer fix. Even if it is a bit of a bodge job.

Alexander

G

GsNPI95

If you have all the pieces, JB weld will do the job. Mine stayed together for 3+ years

A

adi

Yeah, I ordered that clip w/o doing any research, and its definitely not the correct clip. Someone would make a killing making the correct replacement clip.

JCooper

Jul 1, 2004
Memphis, TN.
Job completed. Here's what I did and the results proved to be excellent. I took a length of solid metal strapping about 1" in width. This strapping is the identical width as the top of the clip. The top of the clip already has a recessed indent and this metal strapping couldn't fit any better. I cut the straps into the required lenghts with a cut-off tool. Then took the strapping to a vise and made the hard bend which was beat with a hammer to give a strong bend. After the pieces were made, I then used a 3500 psi two part epoxy designed for metal and plastic to bond the new metal clip to the sunshade plastic hold. I put a coat of black paint on them for cosmetics. The clips turned out to look just as good as factory clips but the strength of them was increased tenfold. Go Me!

95.D1.Rick

Apr 20, 2004
Cumberland Co., ME
Very Nice. I used copper tubing, flattened in a vise, (flattened dia. same as black plastic)then bent the 'v' at the end also in the vise. Used a 2 part epoxy to secure in place. I also primed and painted it black. Its better than new, and 3 yrs holding. If you ask me the factory plastic clips are the kluge.

Errant

Oct 1, 2004
Southern California
Thank You!

At last I can quit searching for a replacement clip! Seems really silly that there is no such thing. I'll try the above suggestions to make my own, and finally give up the search.

Errant

Oct 1, 2004
Southern California
Fixed Mine!

Since I already had the wrong part of the sunshade clip, ordered from roverconnection.com, I went ahead and used it. I cut it down with a hack saw to match the size of the others and epoxied to the broken part. Works like a charm and looks perfect. :D

G

Geags

clips for sale

Has anyone tried to manufacturing these clips and if so, make some dough for some clips?