My new camping rig

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I needed a truck for some work that I am doing. Well, then I needed something to bugout in really quickly. So now I have this for the quickie weekend trips.

Attachments

• Dscn0916.jpg
    Dscn0916.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 980

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
It is pretty roomy, but I still question about how many and who I would want to share it with.

;-)

It has a 2xdouble (1 is the table) and 1xqueen. Stove, furnace, lights, sink, water but I have to use the ARB fridge. You could pick one up for $1500-3500 depending on condition.
This one is a '95, the new ones are much, much nicer but will run around $10k.

Likely my disco could pull it, but not very well in the hills. The diesel pulls it like it is not even back there.

Attachments

• coleman.jpg
    coleman.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 920

LiveAtTheEdge

Apr 19, 2004
Lafayette, NorCal
that is nicer than i thought inside, a little expensive for me right now, i'm going to have to make do with a tent cot on the roof. At least it's not a ground tent.

Cheers

Jack

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
The rover was at home having a rest. It doesn't like to tow 3k lbs up and down mountains.

I would like to have done a hannibal, roof tent... but then you have all that weight up there, the dogs have issues getting up ther (let alone the wifey) and the disco still can't pull crap. Shoot, if I want to take the Disco along I can either tow it too or have the wife or willing person drive it.

The camper is like home away from home. I hope to spend weeks in it this summer.

Last edited:
T

Tim_H

I looked at new pull along campers last year and came away feeling used was a much better deal. Many people outgrow the smaller sizes quickly or stop camping (if you want to call it that) completely as their kids lose interest. Looks like a great set-up Bri, have fun! :)

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Everytime I come back to this thread the pics that I posted are corrupt in some way.

Anyone else see this?

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
a few years ago, my buddy pulled his tent trailer with his RRC every other weekend for the summer. needless to say it was very slow pulling Ut mountain passes.
that fall it needed a new motor. even with the new motor the thing was a lag-wagon.
keep the diesel for the pullin'

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Absoluetly Marc. This thing also has 4.11s so it is not real fast if you want fuel economy, but it gets up there real quick. With the gas vs. diesel prices these days it is much cheaper to drive than the Disco too (that is assuming you keep her <=62 MPH).

D

D Chapman

That looks alot like the Rio Grand I had. The disco pulled it fine, even with 33's. I don't know where you live, but the hill climbs we have here in VA were not that bad. Maybe slow me down to 55-60 on a steep one with 10 gallons of water, case of beer, and food for the week end.

The newer models are better built, I think. I like the one peice top they now come with. I am now in the market for a teardrop camper. 800lb's!!! I have not done allot of research, but looks like they are in the 3K range for a decent one. I'm still shopping. Anybody know of a good used one for sale?

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I don't know where you guys get your engines for the Disco's but likely the main difference is altitude and size of the hills. My Disco will barely keep 55-60 headed up out of Denver and that would be with just a few hundred pounds of load. I would be very frustrated with a load and a 2000lb camper. I would guess that I would either be in low range topped out or going 35 in 2nd.

D. post a pic of your teardrop when you get it, they are very cool. Maybe you have a higher gear ratio? I'm just running stock.

C

campbell

Hell, with that wind that you hit going west out of Denver I can't imagine pulling a camper. My wife and I went to Breck, Keystone, Vail, and Bevar Creek over new years. My snowboard was ripped off the ski rack by the wind and demolished. It was just after that digital sign that displays a warning about high winds. I have never driven in that strong of a wind. Is was hell just trying to get the door open to get out and pick-up the peices of my board. I can't imagine pulling a camper. I was pretty amazed at how much the altitude affects performance also. Absolutely beautiful area though. I bet the camping and offroading is outstanding.

LiveAtTheEdge

Apr 19, 2004
Lafayette, NorCal
we drove through the siera nevada in our '01 DII towing a uhaul dual axel and a lotus europa on the back, (1300lbs) It was hunting through the gears like crazy, i wouldn't tow with it again. Just doesn't have the torque. Now a TD5 on the other hand...

Cheers

Jack

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
The wind has not affected me at all, but this is a 1 ton truck and a little pop-up camper.

You hit a bad wind day no doubt. Not always that way.

Brian

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Pretty cool, but if I was out wheeling, I would hate to be limited by it.

Brian

LiveAtTheEdge

Apr 19, 2004
Lafayette, NorCal
that does look pretty durable. I'd park it up somewhere and lock it, or take the tyres off and go off road and come back to it, but it did look like it would go quite far off road. Maybe not rock climbing. Cheap too, for what your getting, least i think so...

Cheers

Jack