Recommended Torque Wrench

cwdavis4

Apr 20, 2004
Portland, OR
I know this was probably covered in the old post from discoweb but was wondering what people recommended for a torque wrench when working on their disco? I am interested in getting a medium-to-high end torque wrench.

Thanks..

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Snap-on and crafsman probably fall into that category. They seem to be the most common medium (craftsman) and high (snap-on) end used by people here.

I have a Husky and it seems to work well and is pretty accurate.

F

Falconx84

Where can I purchase a husky wrench? I've heard craftsman break too easily and i can't afford stap-on. I haven't heard much bad about husky, but perhaps it's because they aren't common??

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
This one topic was beat to a pulp a few months ago but the conversation is not available at this time.

I am not going to recommend a particular tool here but I will tell you which one I purchased and then subsequently broke after 3 uses.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944593000

The little plastic locking ring broke and the tool was useless. This happened to several other people in the old conversation. If you are going to get the craftsmen at least get this one.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944596000

As you might realize sears only warrants materials and workmanship on the torque wrenches for some 90 days. I broke mine after the warranty was up but it was so clearly a manufacturing defect that they gave me that second link one for half price and let me keep the broken torque wrench (which is now just a big ratchet).

Had I not needed something right there I would have held out for a good, Hi-end Snap-on torque wrench.

Because I had to purchase the tool twice I was very close to the Snap-On price.

I would not buy the Husky because my life experience in combination with the recent torque wrench failures has taught me that on a precision piece of equipment there is no sense in buying less than the best. I believe that the parts and materials in the Snap on unit would be superior to those in the husky or craftsman wrench. Therefore I would expect the Snap-On wrench to stay accurate longer. And what is the point of using a torque wrench if it's not accurate? I have a pretty good estimate of what torque value I apply just with my hands if it's non critical application.

Good luck with your search, and dont forget ebay for deals on thing you thought might have been out of your price range.

Rob Davison

Ian95rrc

Apr 20, 2004
St. Louis, MO
www.prattkreidich.com
Many people can't justify the cost of a new Snap-on torque wrench, but used Snap-on tools are priced quite reasonably. Just check out Ebay, there are some very good deals to be had on used Snap-on tools. You really can't go wrong with these quality tools even if they aren't brand new.

cwdavis4

Apr 20, 2004
Portland, OR
Is there a particular Snap-on torque wrench that people recommend? I'm wondering what range of ft lb covers most LR applications? 20 - 100 ft lb? 5 - 75 ft lb? 50 - 250 ft lb? I was trying to stay with a 3/8" drive but the ft lb are limited (5 - 75 or 20 - 100).

GregH

Apr 24, 2004
I have the 1/2" drive Snap-On Techwrench 25-250 ft. lbs. torque. I think it will cover 95% of my torque application needs.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I have two torque wrenches since my large one does not fit every where.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
torque wrench $.02

at my work our torque wrenches need to be checked for calibration once a year.
so far with 8 years on the job, none of my snapon wrenches have needed to be recalibrated. a co-worker has the super master craftsman tool set and has needed his reworked several times. now this doesn't mean the craftsman suck, alot of this may be the way he uses it. i know for a fact that this co-worker lets his wrench sit in his box at the last torque setting it was used. he rarely store at 0 torque, which over time will screw up the calibration.

when it comes to a torque device, get the best that you can afford.
snap-on isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for.
and a 3/8s 20-100 will be the most versatile

VIVA LA SNAPON!!!!

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
marc olivares said:
a co-worker has the super master craftsman tool set and has needed his reworked several times. now this doesn't mean the craftsman suck

Your co-workers example may not mean Craftsman torque wrenches suck, but remind me to show you mine next time you are by the house. I believe I have the same wrench. It did last a few years - maybe six. Now it is a nice big breaker bar.

I was not willing to financially commit to a good Snap-On so back to Sears I went. This time I got thier 1/2" beam torque wrench. With all of the fancy precision torque wrenches, there is still a lot to be said for the old beam-type wrench. No calibration. No trying to remember where you left the torque setting. Lifetime warranty. No batteries. Nothing really to break.

john

My favorite torque wrench is easily the Snap-on Techwrench:

DSC00703.jpg

This is an excellent tool, probably without peer. I wrote a little review of it here:

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86