borla vs flowmaster

Z

zepp21

not sure if i wanted to get a borla or flowmaster exhaust. Doe anyone have either of them? if so how does it sound? Sound clips available?

DiscoMastiff

Mar 24, 2005
Live Free or Die
The flowmaster sounds great. Low rumble, but can get a bit loud at times. No info on the Borla, but in any case both are better than stock and will provide a bit more torque, throttle response and a slight increase in mpg. Look into high flow cats while you are under there.

F

Flashphoton

Speaking for the Borla, it too sounds great. :) Cabin noise level averages a little higher than stock but you don?t notice the difference at highway speeds, only during acceleration. Mine?s been installed for about 2 years and the outside is still shinny stainless steel looking. Installation was easy, maybe 1-2 hours as I recall. I did need a torch however to cut away parts of the old exhaust system.

D

Discosid

I put on 2 high flow cats from Catco and a straight out center box with the fibre glass wrapping Magnaflow i think its called............... It now sounds like a Mustang. :rolleyes:
I'm thinking of putting on a back muffler on to tune it down a little, the drown on the highways is getting a little old now.

Last edited:
Z

zepp21

question: is the borla just a exhaust or is it a fully cat system?........also what were the prices?

JWilliams

Apr 20, 2004
Northern Kentucky
Full cat-back system. Replaces pipes and muffler, you will lose the resonator. I think I paid $500 for mine.. it was a couple years ago though.

JWilliams

Apr 20, 2004
Northern Kentucky
Purpose of a resonator

"Since a muffler cannot reduce the noise of the engine by itself, some exhaust systems also have a resonator. Resonators are like little mufflers, and are usually the "straight through" type. They are added at the end of the exhaust system to take care of any noise that has made it through the muffler." Copied and pasted off of some site haha.
Basically the resonator quiets down what ever is left from the muffler. So when you buy something like flowmaster or borla you want it to be louder.... so thats why you do not get a resonator... my thinking at least.
I don't think there is anything you can really add (cheaply) to a Disco to gain a "measurable" difference in horsepower or mpg... but I like to think it gets off the line quicker and I would think that since the exhaust flows better that you are getting better mpg. Engine temp has never changed for me. I tow a boat, and I havent really noticed any difference in mpg at the pump. I LOVE the sound of the borla though as it hits the front of the boat and echos back at me when I have the windows down.

Z

zepp21

anyone have soundclips of a disco with a borla or flowmaster

DiscoMastiff

Mar 24, 2005
Live Free or Die
No clips but the flowmaster sounds similiar to a Mustang GT & $400-$500 will get you a full cat back system at any muffler shop. The benefits are well worth it, and in about 5 years it will pay for itself :D

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
Flowmaster

You may be able to get it cheaper. I bought a 50-series Flowmaster from an off-road shop for about $100. Carried to my local, friendly muffler shop (*not* one of the national chains) and the guy removes the old and welds it in for $30. Previously, he had welded on a new tail pipe (to replace my field-expedient repair when the SO removed the resonator off-roading in reverse) for $100. So I had about $230 invested in a 'new' exhaust system from the Y-pipe back.

Cheers

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
Flowmaster

Oh, one other thing. I notice a curious resonance at about 2,800 RPM. This being a 5-speed, it's a clue that it's past time to shift. It is not annoying, just 'strange'. I imagine the specific geometircs of the piping will affect when/where this resonance occurs.

A

agro1

I've had plenty of Flowmaster and they are great. But seriously, do you really want your Rover to sound like a fucking Mustang ? That's the most retarded thing I think I've ever heard...Maybe throw some dubs on it while your at it. For the price of a cat back system you can get a TruTrac and compliment what the Rover was designed for, not detract from it...

Z

zepp21

well you aren't obviously 17 like some of us are. we love noise.......get over it

A

agro1

zepp21 said:
well you aren't obviously 17 like some of us are. we love noise.......get over it
No - I'm 33 and I like noise, too. But I like things that are SUPPOSED TO BE LOUD. Not Rovers. Like I said, throw some dubs on it while your at it, kid.