Rear bumper - falling off?? Pictures...

B

bazeven

I have a '97 Disco 1 - and I think my rear bumper is falling off. Has anyone else had this happen? As far as I know - it's never been hit and I know that I didn't back into anything. I first noticed this abotu two weeks ago, and it seems to be getting worse. I've been underneath, and nothing feels loose. Ideas anyone?

One thing, I did pull a 2000lb camper, but with that being half the acceptable weight, I doubt this would have done it. And besides, I only pulled it 5 blocks! I have to pull the camper again this weekend, 100 miles this time, and would like some thoughts on if anyone else has seen this. Thanks!

You can see in the 1st picture, you can see that the bumper corner is pulling away from the vehicle.

The 2nd pictures shows the horizontal change in the bumper. Standing back, you can definitely see the heighth difference (bumper along) on the passanger side.

bz

lr1.jpg

lr2.jpg

Reed

Apr 20, 2004
Bonny Doon, CA
Your rear bumper could be falling off. More likely though it is just loose. On my '96 the bumper is only held on by two bolts, and I managed to tear each mounting off with very little trouble. You may want to check on the condition of those bolts. (I am assuming here that a '97 is the same as the '96 regarding bumper mounts.)

-Reed

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
funny thing is that in the same time it took you to take those pix and write up that post, you could have crawler under your disco and tightened the two bolts that hold your bumper up.

at some point you gonna have to get a little dirty. but that won't happen unless you try.

B

bazeven

Give me a little credit...

Of course, I tightened the bolts before taking pictures and posting. Thanks Marc.

If there are no other ideas, I must have been hit and the two tabs that hold the bumper on must be bent. I will tear the bumper off and see how the mount points look.

Thanks.

bz

utahdog2003

Apr 20, 2004
North Florida
I've been underneath, and nothing feels loose.

which would address your copmment, Marc. In the time it took you to dig at the guy for not crawling under the truck, you could have read his post, realized that he had crawled under, and then suggested that he loosen the bolts, align the bumper, and tighten the bolts again.

D

Dridze

Hi,

Did you check the bolts behind your bumperlights, if you take the ligts out you see two bolts facing towards the inside,they are bolted into a bracket wich is bold to the chassis wit one bold on each site ;) had the same problem just a lot of bolds

grtz Dridze

F

Falconx84

Got the same issue

My 98 is doing the same thing, but to a greater extent... I suppose backing into a tree on a trail doesn't help :rolleyes: There's only like 2-3 screws holding the endcap on. It's possible for them to come loose or to strip the threads if anyone has ever stood or put weight on the endcap

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
On the 95s there are two bracket between the chassis and bumper.....both adjustable.........I've given up trying to get mine straight....the bumpers been hit enough times its :)