Auto Enginuity (OBDII Software)

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
Just got my new Software in the mail today - it included the all in one adapter and a serial cable. I got the Pocketpc/laptop verison. So out I run to the driveway to hook it up.

Not bad, I am impressed, it shows everything, I can watch the engine Temp, the O2 sensors (all 4) and rpms, fuel mixure....you name it and I can see it.

Of course trying to watch all of this data and drive can be a real challenge. Do not try this on a busy road!....I did my testing on a closed course, ok it was a West Virginia road, close enough.

But this software is great. I will have to try it with the Laptop later, when I get a volunteer to hold it while I drive. :eek:

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
One add on to my little test, today I decided to see what all this software would tell me. If anyone has been watching the old DWeb, you know I added headers to my disco. Well I was watching all the O2 sensors, and found the bank 2 O2 sensor #2 is not responding properly, kind of like it is going bad. So now I get to try out my O2 simulator and see how the Disco responds to this (since I can acually see the before and after info.

uberhahn

Apr 20, 2004
Does this software let you modifiy your injection pulse width/timing, or is it observation only?

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
Sorry for the delay in this, I just got a reply from the company that makes the Software. They said that they do not offer ECU reprogramming yet, but they are working on it. Of course they also said that a Land Rover ECU reprogramming tool may not be cost effective for them, they don't think they will sell enough of them to make it worth their effort.

D

dent

i bought one too awhile back for the palm. excellent software and support with them is top notch... highly recommend it...

O

Off Road Disco

Not to hijack the post but on the same topic I picked up a DriveRight CarChip E/X the other day. Sounds similar. It's a small unit (size of two 9v batteries) that plugs into the OBDII port and records the data (speed + 4 others) as you drive. It will store 75-300 hours of data depending on how often you sample. Then you plug it into the laptop and pull all the data off the chip. I just wanted to read and reset codes but getting the extra information is interesting.

I have all ready pulled two misfires on cyl5. :(

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
From what I have read about these (Driveright), they are okay, but for the cost you could have gotten a full blown OBDII reader that you can acually view real time data. Like O2 sensors being slow.

I took my Disco out yesterday and was trying to dial in the Dyno feature so I can get some info on HP and Torgue before I make anymore changes to see if anything acually improves anything. But since I have no idea the cubic feet of frontage area or the drag coeffecent of the Disco or the gear ratio of third gear, I doubt I will get it dialed in.

But the OBDII scanner part is very nice I can acually see both O2 sensors on the passenger side are running slow, the left side looks great, so I think I just may swap the drivers back with the passenger front, then install my O2 simulator and see if it makes anychanges in anything.

S

Snwbord24

What do you recommend if you don't have a laptop or palm? My palm crapped out on me, it was an old POS anyway. I do have a home PC though.

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
If asking my opinion, I would either buy an older laptop 500mhz or so for a few hundred if you can afford it or pick up a low end Palm or Pocketpc.

If you don't have the funds for that, then use what you have, I was just pointing out the ups and downs of the item mentioned.

S

Snwbord24

Thanks. I'll probably just end up getting a pocketPC. I don't really have a need for a laptop right now.

SR20gawd

Jul 2, 2005
check out www.aeswave.com

have some pretty cool stuff.. you can use the autoenginutiy program on a palm using bluetooth and walk around the vehicle while recording and viewing data

S

syoung

But since I have no idea the cubic feet of frontage area or the drag coeffecent of the Disco or the gear ratio of third gear, I doubt I will get it dialed in.

If you really want to figure that out, I think I have a set of instructions on how to figure out those measurements. I'll look for 'em if you want 'em.

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
They are a class act over at Auto Enginuity. I was doing an oil change on my X5 and needed a way to reset my oil change light. I had contacted a internet retailer that sold the Auto Enginuity stuff asking him if the OBD2 would also reset the light. He was insistent that I needed a special $150 reset tool.

I felt a little strange about his hard push, so I contacted Auto Enginuity directly. The tech guy there said, "well sure it will do it, but all you need to do is push the odometer trip button and then turn the ignition on and follow the menu on the dash."