Junk

R

Runnerma

utahdog2003 said:
The LR3 is an ugly, worthless, overpriced station wagon!!!

There, that should get the party started! :)

Nothing that I dont agree with...

S

Snwbord24

You'd have gotten more of an arguement if you'd given the LR3 some rave reviews and told everyone how you've already got your own on order.

C

Cozmo

Wait let me try.......Its wider and lower so it will be more stable offroad. Less likely to roll over and with the dial a setting for the suspension there will be more Rover electrics to help you develop a close relationship with the local dealership. :eek:

Pugsly

Banned
Apr 20, 2004
www.roverautomotive.com
hmm... i can't sign up as a Luddite here. everything i've read leads me to believe it will be a much more capable vehicle than the DII, and it also looks like it will outperform the new RR offroad.

Barry

Apr 26, 2004
No doubt, the LR3 will be more capable than a DII driven off the showroom floor. Only time will tell regarding (to some) the more important issues of off-road reliability and durability. The latter concerns pointless for the majority of poseurs driving the Discovery. Their egos will still be satisfied as long as Land Rover sells a shopping cart guard , and a black hood decal.

-Barry

J

Jparker

Pretty ugly to me, especially the front fenders and the quarter. What's the point of having that step in the rear window without having the spare there?

But on the bright side, it looks like it has a better angle of departure!

F

Falconx84

I wouldn't mind to see it departing .... ie, not sticking around :cool:

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Well if the LR3 (Disco everywhere else in the world) does not stick around in North America, neither may LRNA.

Q

quattro

Look on the new model as a means to an end. If it does well, and it will, then Land Rover will be more inclined to really put the money into designing a new Defender. Alternatively we may just end up with a short wheelbase coil sprung version of the new Disco. At least you can lock the rear diff now instead of just relying on TC.

J

JR Ewing III

Well, I guess I'll be the only one who thinks the LR3 is going to be sweet. Here are the reasons.

The first reason is I strongly believe that Land Rover has and will continue to improve their quality control. They jumped several notches up the reliability scale in '04 according to JD Powers ( http://www.thelandroverchronicle.com/new_page_431.htm - What's funny is Hummer is dead last.) Since Ford bought Jaguar their reputation has DRASTICALLY improved. Only Lexus and Cadillac beat Jaguar on the reliability scale in 2004. I've read a few articles, one in LRO (or maybe it was LRM) about how Ford has begun to crack down on the LR's assembly line quality control. I read in the last issue of LRM that Ford has pumped 486 million pounds (that's around 900 million US dollars depending on what the exchange rate is today) into improving Land Rover. I know I'm being optimistic, but I think there is good reason to support my optimism. However, I understand it will have some bugs when it first comes out because it's a new model.

Secondly, it's got much better features than our Discos do now. LR has appealed not only to mall crawlers with the LR3's ease of use, ie Terrain Response, but they've appealed to the off-road enthusiasts by keeping the good old mechanical 4wd, ie center and rear lockers. I believe independent suspension is a better system than live axles. I won't go into why as I know everyone on this site has their own convictions. However, I do acknowledge that the independent suspension will be a pain to lift for those of us who like more ground clearance. Also, they made the LR3 roomier (as you all know because you've commented on it's size). Room is a good thing when your hauling friends, gear, family or whatever. It still has good approach angles which makes up for the size. Besides, if you want less vehicle just get a Rubicon, or, hopefully, a new Defender. There's a great article in the last issue of LRM. It covers some of the interior ammenities the LR3 is going to have.

Anyway, all this is to say I'm probably the only one on Discoweb who thinks the LR3 is going to be cool. Oh, well.

geoff

Apr 23, 2004
Austin, TX
I think the prices will start in the mid $40Ks. You gotta remember who really buys these things new. It ain't a bunch of cross country expedition guys - its "lifestyle" and brand conscious --insert your word for this-- who might otherwise buy a Lexus 330, Volvo, Audi for all weather station wagon use. LR probably hit it right from that perspective. Ford wants expensive, high profit products to justify its LR purchase.

Overseas the purpose built 4x4 market is pretty well covered by stripped Land Cruisers (still offered with solid front axles and diesels), Nissan Patrols, Isuzu Troopers, etc. Unfortunately we don't get these. I guess buyers in that market segment in the US buy pick ups.

I think LRNA should keep the current Disco "classic" around with the diesel engine so it doesn't hurt their CAFE score. I'd buy one over a TrailBlazer or Explorer anyday.

K

kkngtgr

Why is it that we don't get the Nissan Patrols here? I use to have one and it was a great off road vehicle