View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 10:24 PM

Hi All...

In from another frustrating afternoon.... Aliastel- I will check the electrical connector - don't think I have an issue there- but will check it anyway...

AbnMike- the Mallory does not have a condenser, and to the best of my limited knowledge, does not need the ignition amplifier bolted behind the shield near the coil and power steering reservoir.....

Got it to run intermittently for a minute or so- by am not sure why... I cleaned up all the connections to the coil + and - with a dremel, made sure no loose connections. Mallory recommends their coil with their distributor, negating the need for a resistance wire. The primary and secondary circuits of the Mallory test ok resistance wise. When the engine quits- and no spark in my spark indicator on #1- the hot 12v lead from the ignition/key lock switch stays hot at batt. voltage. Turn it over, and no spark from the coil to the block in a test.... was beginning to suspect the key/ignition switch not keeping the wire to the coil hot at 12v- not sure though... It took me a long time to even find the key/ignition switch in the LR factory "Electrics Manual"- and in the depiction I found, it doesn't show all the wires. Will fool with that tomorrow....

I did hook up my old LR issued Bosch coil- got it to run for 5 minutes or so. it was not bolted it- is a coil supposed to get hot while it's working? one might not notice as the metal mounting strap to the forward frame is a big heat sink. Free standing, that coil got pretty warm, and if it continued to run, I suspect it might have gotten too hot to handle...

Since I don't know if the bosch coil provides the same resistance needed by the distributor, I wonder if I smoked my new pickup module? will find out tomorrow when I do that test again....

Have decided to drink some rum and contemplate the best place to tie the boat anchor rope....

thanks to all-

Tim