DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Non-Technical Boards > General

General General BS

Old 12-08-2015, 09:01 AM

Chris, since the changes, Chrome does not redirect after you hit the submit button, it simply freezes.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
It may have gotten a lot softer but It's also gotten a lot less useful. These days it's hard to get an answer that's not already out there. Most of the old timers that knew a lot about these truck and were willing to help are gone or barely come on anymore.

Yes I know there are still a few techs on here. But most of them are too busy trying to be funny or talking down to less knowledgeable posters to be helpful.

9 out of 10 times if I have an issue I can't solve by searching old post I move on to Google because I know that 9 out of 10 times if I post the question here I'll either get the same old regurgitated answers that everybody has tried for the last 10 years or some smart ass remark. But I don't think I've had a new problem solved on D-Web in the last 2-3 years.

This is just my opinion, take it for what it is.
I think you might be noticing that discos have become irrelivent. We don't work on them much anymore. I worked on 3 this year. I hang out here because you guys make me forget all this stuff a little slower. Now these trucks are so old that all the common stuff is getting drowned in off the wall shit we never saw back then.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:22 AM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian4d View Post
That sounds an awful lot like reddit. I think they have a Defender area over there.
r/LandRover isn't nearly as useful as a forum. It isn't as developed as say, the Toyota subreddit. The nice thing about it is that it's ~50/50 US/Worldwide... so you get some good info (but mostly pictures) from Brits and Aussies on stuff.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM3846 View Post
r/LandRover isn't nearly as useful as a forum. It isn't as developed as say, the Toyota subreddit. The nice thing about it is that it's ~50/50 US/Worldwide... so you get some good info (but mostly pictures) from Brits and Aussies on stuff.
Got it. I'm a member of the yota sub and they have some good info/rare pictures and whatnot.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:52 AM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostew View Post
I think you might be noticing that discos have become irrelivent. We don't work on them much anymore. I worked on 3 this year. I hang out here because you guys make me forget all this stuff a little slower. Now these trucks are so old that all the common stuff is getting drowned in off the wall shit we never saw back then.
That's true, and partially my point. There are tons of these trucks still out there and people are still getting these new never seen before issues resolved. The only problem is that for the last 2-3 years it's not been on DWeb. People come here looking for help. If it can't be answered with old tech that's been on this board for 10 years they have to move onto another board to get answers.

I don't know maybe new stuff is happening in the LR3/LR4 forum, I don't generally look in there since I don't own one and have nothing to offer.

All I'm saying is there used to be a lot of innovation and thinking outside the box on here. But we don't see much of that anymore.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
That's true, and partially my point. There are tons of these trucks still out there and people are still getting these new never seen before issues resolved. The only problem is that for the last 2-3 years it's not been on DWeb. People come here looking for help. If it can't be answered with old tech that's been on this board for 10 years they have to move onto another board to get answers.

I don't know maybe new stuff is happening in the LR3/LR4 forum, I don't generally look in there since I don't own one and have nothing to offer.

All I'm saying is there used to be a lot of innovation and thinking outside the box on here. But we don't see much of that anymore.
Didn't the last Dico roll off the production line 12 years ago? I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but trying to keep this BB relevant is like fighting an uphill battle.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:04 AM

PT says he does not have time for Dweb anymore. He's too involved with American Land Rover Owner on Face Book. He posts on there constantly.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:59 AM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Didn't the last Dico roll off the production line 12 years ago? I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but trying to keep this BB relevant is like fighting an uphill battle.
12 years is not that old these days. The average age of cars on the road right now is 11.5 years. So that means almost 50% of cars on the road right now are older than 12 years. Seems pretty relevant to me.

There are lots of reasons this BB is hard to keep relevant. I don't think the age of the trucks is one of them.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
LIES!

"Don't call this a comeback, been here for years"
Old 12-08-2015, 11:04 AM

But the last disco 1 rolled off the line 17 yrs ago. That is almost a completely different truck than the d2
Old 12-08-2015, 11:05 AM
KK4DPX

Member Trucks
The stuff starting to pop up in the LR3/4 forum is def relevant and probably the only growth area for the forum really. As many others have mentioned almost anything with a D1 or Dii has been done before and thus a good search can find it here, but that doesn't stop the inevitable 'how do I get 35's' or 'what spring/shocks should I run' from popping up over and over.

I remember awhile back the discussion of what was the implication of the Dii reaching cheap bastard price range, I think we've long surpassed that hence the stagnation at times. Ironically D1's that are decent are more/less holding value, or slightly going up like their RRC brethren. That will continue to make the site a resource for many. Also ironic is that the LR3/LR4 (D3/D4)'s are starting to hit cheap bastard price points hence why the stuff that Jimmyjamz and Discostew post in there is solid info. It can be found elsewhere, like D3.uk, but I'd rather hear it hear.

I think the website has improved greatly of late and appreciate what Chris is doing at the helm, I also appreciate that it hasn't turned this into some bullshit happy place like other sites are.

I'm trying to figure out WTF happened that PT is posting pictures of LT230 nipples and wrenches on Facebook outraged at Dan...clearly I wasn't paying enough attention over there.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:07 AM

You also need to remember that if you type shit ( poor descriptions of problems) your going to get shit back. Because the shit someone enters is what generates the answer.
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Old 12-08-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxton View Post
LIES!

"Don't call this a comeback, been here for years"
Didn't realize LR was re-badging the Freelander.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Didn't realize LR was re-badging the Freelander.
It's not rebadging the Freelander. This car is so different. As a matter of fact I would say that now that this car is for sale there is really no reason to make the evoque anymore. Get under one and look around. Drive one. This is a great car.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920SF View Post

I'm trying to figure out WTF happened that PT is posting pictures of LT230 nipples and wrenches on Facebook outraged at Dan...clearly I wasn't paying enough attention over there.
Apparently PT sees the need of an HD linkage bracket that connects to the hi/low shifter at the t-case. So the story goes, the stock bracket breaks. PT claims to have broken one, once, and was forced to "go wheeling" in hi-range. I told him he could have shifted into low-range with a wrench. Apparently he's not smart enough to figure that one out.

Which brings up a point worth noting - has anyone ever seen PT actually go wheeling?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
It's not rebadging the Freelander. This car is so different. As a matter of fact I would say that now that this car is for sale there is really no reason to make the evoque anymore. Get under one and look around. Drive one. This is a great car.
Nothing really against LR. I've always thought cross-overs were a complete and total joke. I don't discriminate, I hate them all equally.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:39 PM

It's like cyclocross bikes.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:46 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Chapman View Post
Apparently PT sees the need of an HD linkage bracket that connects to the hi/low shifter at the t-case. So the story goes, the stock bracket breaks. PT claims to have broken one, once, and was forced to "go wheeling" in hi-range. I told him he could have shifted into low-range with a wrench. Apparently he's not smart enough to figure that one out.

Which brings up a point worth noting - has anyone ever seen PT actually go wheeling?

I broke that same piece a few weeks ago while on the trail. I was already in low range. Wheeled the rest of the weekend, then took the center console apart manually put in high, then drove home. Did some research and found some people that used heims as a replacement. So I went that route for $8.99. Went wheeling again this weekend and WOW what a difference. Its
a lot shorter throw and a lot smoother!

Old 12-08-2015, 12:51 PM

Member Trucks
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920SF View Post
Ironically D1's that are decent are more/less holding value, or slightly going up like their RRC brethren. That will continue to make the site a resource for many. Also ironic is that the LR3/LR4 (D3/D4)'s are starting to hit cheap bastard price points hence why the stuff that Jimmyjamz and Discostew post in there is solid info.
I was very involved in Jeep XJs and the big XJ forum is dying slowly. People appreciate them for what they are, but they're as common as a Camry. They'll always have a following, but they don't have that "something" that the woody Waggys, RRCs, LC60/LC80s, etc. I even see first gen Monteros coming up in "cool"... All the big car mag/blog dudes out in California are getting on the late 80s/early 90s SUV train. I see one other D1 a 2-3 a times a week. My hipster hairs are all standing up on end thinking the D1 will one day be as cool as a LC60 and I would have one as that time comes
Old 12-08-2015, 12:53 PM
AK6PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I'm not going to impose any poster rating systems.
Chris,

I was not talking about poster rating system - but the answer rating instead.
If an issue was solved, the post leading to the solution deserves to be propped up.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:55 PM

Ya you notice I call it a car. A good car. In my opinion there is no such thing as a transverse truck. The engine needs to point the right direction.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:22 PM
NW5W
Administrator

Member Trucks
The sucktitude of the forums lately has nothing to do with the age of the trucks. The D90 Source tech forum is bustling with activity and most of the trucks there are leaky, clapped-out mid-1980's trucks with bad paint jobs. The difference, I think, is that the new owners got rid of the turds by anointing a group of frequent posters as moderators. Imposing rule-of-law made the site more welcoming to noobs.

But, that's not the approach that I want to take, I think this place should keep its Wild West feel and I don't want a bunch of people doing moderation here, which is why we don't have mods. What I do ask is for you guys that know stuff: step up and help the noobs, even if it's just a search suggestion. Also, as someone else suggested, post in the Projects and Tech Guides section. I know that many of you (even Chapman) have good stuff to post here.

I have no money-making motive behind making this site flourish. I just want it to stick around because it's the only decent LR site--and one of the few forums on the net, come to think of it--without tons of ads and tons of heavy-handed mods running around editing other peoples' posts. I don't hound you guys for donations. Just want your help.

DiscoWeb in Utah 2012 / 2013
Old 12-08-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Yes, yes I have!!!
'94 D1 Too good to pass up. OME lift, 265/75/16 BFG AT's, Detroit/TruTrac, etc

Quote:
No matter how hard you stir it you won't make chocolate ice cream out of a bucket of shit
Old 12-08-2015, 01:46 PM

He must have used a Snap-On tool to cut those fenders.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
PT says he does not have time for Dweb anymore. He's too involved with American Land Rover Owner on Face Book. He posts on there constantly.
I've never heard of that. But if they don't question anything he says then I'm sure it makes him feel all warm and fuzzy. I'm not looking for that. I'm looking for somebody who's more aggravating than I am. Your about as close as I've found Dan.