Aftermarket smart/proximity key?

gimebakmybulits

Dec 11, 2013
Pasadena
I bought an IID Tool and a key fob off ebay for that very same issue. I felt the money was better spent on a tool for me than going in to the dealership's pocket.

Roverfire

Jan 2, 2005
Casper,WY
I bought an IID Tool and a key fob off ebay for that very same issue. I felt the money was better spent on a tool for me than going in to the dealership's pocket.

I have an IIDtool but didn't know if the aftermarket remotes are legit.. Dis you get a genuine used one or an aftermarket one?

gimebakmybulits

Dec 11, 2013
Pasadena
I followed the instructions that were in the IID-Tool manual for adding a key and it worked on the first try. I basically paid for the IID-Tool by not going to the dealership. The key I bought was the smaller one that I believe comes with the Evoque.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I followed the instructions that were in the IID-Tool manual for adding a key and it worked on the first try. I basically paid for the IID-Tool by not going to the dealership. The key I bought was the smaller one that I believe comes with the Evoque.

Interesting, I didn't know you could use the new style key if the vehicle originally had the old style. That key started with the Evoque, but everything has it now.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I should mention, sometimes it takes 4-5 tries to get it to go through. Always fails the first time.

That's a moving target also. There was a time about 2 years ago the software in SDD was fucked up and you would have to tell it you wanted to program 3 keys, one would always fail. So if you tried to program 2 keys only one would work. Usually the new key worked but the original key stopped working.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Yeah key programming is always a crapshoot. Oddly enough, Maserati is the same. The first key always programs, but the second key fails five or more times before it actually goes through.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Yeah key programming is always a crapshoot. Oddly enough, Maserati is the same. The first key always programs, but the second key fails five or more times before it actually goes through.

On some Jags it will always say it failed but the keys work. LR3 was probably the least problems with keys.