Hydraulic Winch

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I'm thinking about running a Red Challenger Hydraulic winch or two on the truck I'm building . Anyone have experience with these ? Its a disco 1 and I plan to run the pump from the PTO off the t case . I figure the t case would have to be in neutral to winch , am I right about that ?

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Just buy a electric winch…this coming from someone running a MM hydro winch

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
A friend of mine has an older 90 with 300tdi and hydraulic Red winch. Seemed to work great the one time I saw him use it. I'm not sure how many thousands of dollars it took him to get it all set up though.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
A friend of mine has an older 90 with 300tdi and hydraulic Red winch. Seemed to work great the one time I saw him use it. I'm not sure how many thousands of dollars it took him to get it all set up though.

Thats cool , I'm gonna do it . Probly be that far along come spring . Trucks already sold and I'm just starting . Money not an issue for this guy thats buying it .

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
holy shit, 2k just for the winch…

glad to see your taking advantage of your customer's deep pockets

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Really, so you ask, are told by several different people that they are overpriced and overrated but still go with them…A pto driven winch is good for a tow truck. I guess if all your concerned about is the bling factor, go for it. I'm sure you can get chrome wheels and bumpers too…they are about the same when it comes to being practical...

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Really, so you ask, are told by several different people that they are overpriced and overrated but still go with them…A pto driven winch is good for a tow truck. I guess if all your concerned about is the bling factor, go for it. I'm sure you can get chrome wheels and bumpers too…they are about the same when it comes to being practical...

No actually I got somekind of answer like worst idea ever . Then asked what was meant by that and got no answer . So I considered the source and decided to go ahead and do it . And I think the bling factor has a lot to do with it . How long have you been dealing with Land Rover people ? I think bling is all they care about . Chrome has no place on a Land Rover in my opinion , so if he wanted chrome he would have to go someplace else .