Overland Expo West 2015

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
http://www.overlandexpo.com/west

Coming up . . . on May 15-17, 2015, at Mormon Lake Lodge near Flagstaff, Arizona, the seventh annual Overland Expo WEST.

We are the premier overlanding event in the world—no other event offers the scope of classes taught by the world's leading experts, alongside a professional-level trade show that brings together in one place all the camping and vehicle and motorcycle equipment and services you need to get outfitted and get going.

• 180+ exhibitors
  • 170+ different classes, workshops, and roundtable programs
  • Experts, authors, & videographers from around the world
  • Music, food, film festival, & happy hours
  • 8000+ overlanders from around the world
  • On-site & nearby camping for everyone
  • Kids age 17 and under are free

SINGLE – $280

ONE adult plus one vehicle and/or one motorcycle. (Yes, you can bring both.)

You can add a non-class participant to any package for $50, which includes: weekend pass level attendance; BBQ; happy hour tickets.

DOUBLE – $490

TWO adults plus one vehicle and/or two motorcycles. (Yes, you can bring both.)

Double registration is for two adults, each taking the full suite of classes.

You can add a non-class participant to any package for $50, which includes: weekend pass level attendance; BBQ; happy hour tickets.

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
I see Justin is teaching a class for roll-over recovery versus the demo from previous years. What will be different?

Jan 25, 2010
your moms bed
"We are the premier overlanding event in the world"? Do you have any hard data to back this statement up? Dweb is after all a strictly fact and truth based website.

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
We won't be doing the roll over demo this year…They may have one and a class, but it won't be myself or Justin…

As for Garrett, I was hoping he was going to "premier" the lastest installment of "stagecoach overlanding" ...

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
"We are the premier overlanding event in the world"? Do you have any hard data to back this statement up? Dweb is after all a strictly fact and truth based website.

I probably should have quoted that. It's directly from their website.

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
Frank and Justin will be sharing their tips on hygiene in the outback in a class entitled: "Staying Clean In The Bush: Where To Rub and What to Rub With."

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
Your just jealous because the "WWC" convention was cancelled...

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
It was cold, wet and muddy. This was the camp road on Saturday. It doesn't look bad, but had the consistency of primordial ooze. A lot of trucks were pulled out of the ooze by a Deuce and a half or a backhoe. I think the motorhomes are there til June.

17798477791_d29aafa141_c.jpg

And this is what happens to a Discovery roof when Justin and Frank aren't running the show:

17795299532_c1947233ef_c.jpg

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
That appears to be high quality instruction right there! I have no doubt that all "instructors" at an overland event are tediously vetted and tested. :rolleyes:

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
WHAT THE FUCK…

Any other pic's

Here's a video of it going over. 4 guys pulled it over using triple sheave snatch blocks. the Pinz winch was used to slow the fall.

https://flic.kr/p/saWCpg

Here is it on it's side.

17610512680_b85da2f7a0_c.jpg

This is one of the instructors rigging the brake to control it's descent. I think the winch guy and the brake guy didn't communicate enough and they got the roof in a bind between them.

17798021445_be9ea1a1a1_c.jpg

When they where 'checking the engine' after they had it on it's wheels, I pointed out that the battery was held in by a block of wood. I guess they should have checked the truck before using it in the demo.

emmodg

Apr 17, 2006
Is that guy rigging an 8 on a carabiner? Was the truck being belayed via a winch line or rope?