98 D1 conversion from V8 Auto to 300TDI 5-speed

terryjm1

Jan 23, 2011
I started this project before I truly understood the time commitment of marriage and a child. As such, it has taken 5 years to get this this point... I started the engine today for the first time but did so with some improvised wiring. After 5 years I just wanted to hear it run.

For those of you that have done this conversion did you simply use applicable parts of the V8 harness or is it better to integrate the 300TDI harness. Ideally, I hope to find a plug under the glovebox that I can just plug the 300TDI harness into. I know, wishful thinking.

It is important to me to make a clean install no matter the route.

I reposted this to the tech discussion..

terryjm1

Jan 23, 2011
Lol, just noticed this was in the tech discussion. I have 99% completed the project and used a genuine D1 300TDI engine harness. Long story made short, you don’t need the TDI harness as long as you save the V8 harness. (I stupidly sold the V8 harness) I actually think it would be easier to have not used the TDI harness.

Reactions: bgbrox

terryjm1

Jan 23, 2011
Lol, so true but mostly a sidetracked journey. My son was 1 year old when I tried to start this project. I am now coaching his baseball team for the 3rd year. Practice starts in 2 weeks!

The 300TDI and 5 speed part of the conversion is done. I have all the AC parts ready to install but will wait for warmer weather to finish that. Painted the new heavy duty front and rear bumpers today (Black Crow Designs) matte black to match the new front grill I painted last week. Rock sliders arrived a couple weeks ago and they will be the next paint victims. I’m not going to paint the body myself. Planned to drive it to the body shop a few weeks ago but after I spent two weekends installing the lift parts and completely replacing the brake system I ran into the problem of the brakes locking up. I believe the problem is the off-brand master cylinder. I have the new one and as soon as that goes on and I have a successful test drive it is headed to the body shop. Then, finallly, the real journey starts.