Kneeling NFL players

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
You don't actually believe the majority of money the NFL makes comes from ticket sales do you???
The NFL makes a majority of its money through advertising, specifically on TV. The NFL depends on ratings to draw in advertisers. Less viewers means lower ratings. Lower ratings means less leverage which means less cash.

Lower ratings does not mean the NFL gets less cash. It means the broadcasters get less cash. They have already agreed to pay the NFL. Doesn't matter what the ratings are. the NFL is getting paid.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3XGAmPRxV48" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

seventyfive

Jan 3, 2010
over there
Lower ratings does not mean the NFL gets less cash. It means the broadcasters get less cash. They have already agreed to pay the NFL. Doesn't matter what the ratings are. the NFL is getting paid.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3XGAmPRxV48" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bingo. Glad you brought that point up. Most people forget the networks are merely a conduit. Shit, colleges get huge dollars for network coverage.

Like I said, you really want to hurt them stop buying officially licensed merchandise That is where professional sports and the players union makes the loot.

Fuck look at the vegas golden knights. The nhl gave them a team for one reason, best market for merchandise sales. Quebec should've got the expansion but the nhl knows quebec fans don't spend as much money on stupid shit like drunk tourists who want a memorabilia that shows they visited Las Vegas.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
My point is that it's not really hurting them. If anything, the controversy will draw viewers eventually because it's relevant, once the butthurt people get over the kneeling. Face it, Brett, it just shouldn't matter to you. They're disrespecting something that's unrelated to football. Trump disrespected far more than the anthem, and he's the president.

Thank you for telling me it shouldn't matter to me. Wish I had known that earlier. :rolleyes: That's a pretty asinine thing to say.
Maybe someone should have told Colin that last year and we wouldn't be here.

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
Thank you for telling me it shouldn't matter to me. Wish I had known that earlier. :rolleyes: That's a pretty asinine thing to say.
Maybe someone should have told Colin that last year and we wouldn't be here.

Your issue is people disrespecting the anthem, his problem is the murdering of innocent people. Asinine doesn't begin to describe the comparison of the two.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Trump's approval rate - 37%, your point? He's still the president, the NFL is still the NFL, they're not worried.

They aren't? Jerry Jones did a 180 on it in 1 week, the rams and chargers can't give tickets away, and who even has cable to watch anymore?

gimebakmybulits

Dec 11, 2013
Pasadena
his problem is the murdering of innocent people. Asinine doesn't begin to describe the comparison of the two.
Why don't you take the time and show the world this so called problem of our police forces murdering innocent people. BTW here is the definition of "murder".
mur?der
ˈmərdər/<input width="14" type="image" height="14">
noun
noun: murder; plural noun: murders
the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

Here is a bit of help with some of the bigger words.
pre?med?i?tate
prēˈmedətāt/<input width="14" type="image" height="14">
verb
past tense: premeditated; past participle: premeditated
think out or plan (an action, especially a crime) beforehand.

I'm confident your response will give us a glimpse of "asinine"

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC

You really have no clue how network ratings work do you Scott? It's equivalent to reading the inventory list at a major distribution center. The list is short, it's a good indication your customer base is strong, list is long you're doing something wrong. Supply/Demand, basic Econ 101 stuff.

Trump knows, Trump knows very well about ratings, money, broadcast contracts and all that fun stuff. Don't forget, these low ratings didn't just start 3 weeks ago. Now is about the time Goodell is getting the 'update', and he's already reacted. I'm sure his glaring deep patriotism for the American flag was the reason.

Jan 25, 2010
your moms bed
Why don't you take the time and show the world this so called problem of our police forces murdering innocent people. BTW here is the definition of "murder".
mur?der
ˈmərdər/<input width="14" type="image" height="14">
noun
noun: murder; plural noun: murders
the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

Here is a bit of help with some of the bigger words.
pre?med?i?tate
prēˈmedətāt/<input width="14" type="image" height="14">
verb
past tense: premeditated; past participle: premeditated
think out or plan (an action, especially a crime) beforehand.

I'm confident your response will give us a glimpse of "asinine"

Don't blame him. It's not his fault. He's a millennial.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
You really have no clue how network ratings work do you Scott? It's equivalent to reading the inventory list at a major distribution center. The list is short, it's a good indication your customer base is strong, list is long you're doing something wrong. Supply/Demand, basic Econ 101 stuff.

Trump knows, Trump knows very well about ratings, money, broadcast contracts and all that fun stuff. Don't forget, these low ratings didn't just start 3 weeks ago. Now is about the time Goodell is getting the 'update', and he's already reacted. I'm sure his glaring deep patriotism for the American flag was the reason.

No, it's YOU that don't understand how things work. The NFL has TV contracts through 2021.

That's guaranteed money. They get paid no matter what the TV ratings are. That's the point of the "Fuck you. Pay me." vid.

And, as I've pointed out before, even with ratings down in 2016, the networks still made more money than the year before, so it's not like they are hurting.

Before you go saying, but the down ratings will affect the next contract - that's 4 years from now. The public has a very short attention span.

Oh, look...TV ratings are improving. Maybe because of the "controversy?"

And, there are a lot of reasons why NFL TV ratings were/are down. Kind of far down the list is kneeling players (which is rarely on TV anyway).

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
\]

Before you go saying, but the down ratings will affect the next contract - that's 4 years from now. The public has a very short attention span.

But the public doesn't decide, remember? The whole analysis is considered during every contract renewal. Want to see how the MLB contracts differed after their strike in the 90's? :eek:

In the business world the consumer will always effect revenue and stock price. Period. To think otherwise shows a complete and utter misunderstanding of the business world.

AbnMike

Apr 6, 2016
Western Slope, CO
My biggest issue with the kneeling is how many stupid people are getting attention (like that girl? guy? whatever in the soccer picture above). I protesting tha racism and tha other stuffs! Look at me! Look. At. Me Motherfucker! Also whatever dolt wrote some article recently about how Colin was right - the anthem is racist - which got a lot of traction amongst my more liberal friends who don't think about issues past whether its something that sounds good or not....going on and on about how the anthem has like the 16th verse which is about slaves and shit.....yeah, umm, dumbass? he's not protesting the actual anthem itself.

I will stand for the goddamned flag despite knowing there's a shit ton wrong in this country. A few people summed it up earlier - it represents what we can be. It's an idea. It's a symbol of all of us, good and bad. I'll get a goddamned tear in my eye during the anthem for the same reasons (even though I really wish we had the Soviet anthem, it's just completely bad-ass).

Millionaires in tights playing homoerotic ass grabbing games for 15 seconds at a time before a 2 minute commercial break looking for more attention to tha racisms and tha cops who never once told their owner "Look, owner man, that motherfucker across the locker room is murdering dogs and makes us look like fucking shitheads. I'm not playing until he's fired." or "Look, team, I'm not playing until y'all refuse to play with these shithead drug and pimp motherfuckers the owner hired, because they make all those unfortunate kids in the ghetto think that you can still drug and pimp even after you've made it in sports because no one will give a fuck as long as you can ball and that ain't something I want this team to portray." I'm not taking them seriously. They're fucking clowns.

On the other hand if I have to hear one more time that "it's disrespecting veterans" I'm going to....shit, get angrier than I am now. That's the gayest shit I've ever heard. For one our Founders would have a coronary if they realized that not only do we have a standing Army, we devote more of our money by a hundred fold to maintaining that standing military than we do to education (No, I don't give a fuck about healthcare, with more education we'd need less healthcare). I mean the one goddamned thing that scared the founders of this country most was a standing fucking Army - but now patriotism means having to "honor" people who were a part of that standing Army every time the flag is raised and the pretty music played? Oh hell fuck no.
Want to honor veterans? Go to a veteran's day parade (which should stand on its own apart from Armistice Day but that would cost money). Or go read to one of them in a veteran's hospital. Nah, I'll just make some pretty racist comment on Facebook about how them jigaboos don't respect tha Veterans and make sure my background photo is about how all mah heroes wear digicam - and make sure I always talk about how I was either a barracks mattress or how I would have joined the military but I can't take orders but I really respect the ones who do!

Not standing for the Anthem/flag doesn't disrespect veterans. It does disrespect everyone who wants this country to be a better place though. And it does make you look like a fucking clown, especially when you didn't knock the fuck out of the latest wife beater or murderer on your team who is doing more to set underprivileged kids up for failure than CNN trying to squeeze every penny out of the latest cop-involved shooting.

Oh and everyone up above who said the First Amendment doesn't trickle down to your workplace is correct, and anyone who disagrees is wrong. The First Amendment only applies to Congress making a law restricting speech, which is why you have a whole lot of local laws that allow it. Second - it's a workplace. If the owner says stand the fuck up or be fired, you have 0 recourse.

And I also agree - this would pretty much be forgotten by now if Trump wasn't fanning the flames, but he's excellent at keeping us all distracted with shitshows while the real dealings are going on. And the media is more than willing to earn their money with easy-peasy racisms flags shootings trinkets stuff than real investigations.

Lastly, if you're someone who wears a flag hat or flag shirt or has flag napkins at your 4th of July picnic and you're upset about kneelers, go suck balls. All that shit is against the Flag code. I don't take hypocrites seriously at all.

Last edited:

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
But the public doesn't decide, remember? The whole analysis is considered during every contract renewal. Want to see how the MLB contracts differed after their strike in the 90's? :eek:

In the business world the consumer will always effect revenue and stock price. Period. To think otherwise shows a complete and utter misunderstanding of the business world.

Do you read what you write before posting?

"the consumer will always effect revenue" but "the public doesn't decide"?

When did the consumer of NFL games become not the public.

And equating the MLB strike where nearly half the season was lost to a handful of players kneeling? Really? Get a grip.

brian4d

Dec 3, 2007
High Point, NC
Do you read what you write before posting?

"the consumer will always effect revenue" but "the public doesn't decide"?

When did the consumer of NFL games become not the public.

And equating the MLB strike where nearly half the season was lost to a handful of players kneeling? Really? Get a grip.

I was making fun of you Scott. Being sarcastic.

You said the public NOT watching will NOT effect current contracts. Then you turned around and said, "The public have very short attention spans." Shouldn't matter then in your mind, right? Either the public has control or not, make up your damn mind.

Either way, I've spelled it out. If you don't comprehend this conversation is over. Contracts or no contracts the consumer actions ALWAYS trickle down.

Last edited:

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
I was making fun of you Scott. Being sarcastic.

You said the public NOT watching will NOT effect current contracts. Then you turned around and said, "The public have very short attention spans." Shouldn't matter then in your mind, right? Either the public has control or not, make up your damn mind.

Either way, I've spelled it out. If you don't comprehend this conversation is over. Contracts or no contracts the consumer actions ALWAYS trickle down.
Good grief, man! Do you not read either?

I said that the down ratings (now) might effect the NEXT contract. In 2022.

I never said the public (in the form of ratings) have no impact. In fact, YOU said it.
But the public doesn't decide, remember?

I said that it is not immediate. The fact that the public has a short attention span relates to the impact of this "controversy." And, as I pointed out, the decline in ratings has a lot of factors; low on the list is taking a knee.

It's kind of hard to comprehend YOU when you put words in my mouth that you actual said, change positions, or just plain make shit up.