Front End Steering Impairment

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
The drop arm (Pitman arm?), IIRC, is cast iron - if it is in any way different from factory shape, throw it out. I would also be wary of damaged bearings on the sector shaft - if the hit was hard enough to mangle the Pitman arm, I'd be surprised if the box survived intact.

BTW, I just looked at AB website - D2 arm is different from D1/RRC:
This is D2: https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/QJF000030G
This is D1: https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/NTC9235

Aug 10, 2018
ME
Update, the steering box and arm are in good shape and the leak is coming from the pump above. There is no bind per say but I'm still concerned with the wheel angle lock to lock. Do these trucks just not have a tight turning radius? I'm getting 2.75 to 3.0 rotations from the steering wheel lock to lock. I believe that's lower than the stock ratio on a stock box. (I was able to degrease the engine after years of unmanaged leaks etc. and can see much better now.)

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
The steering box requries approximately 3.5 turns from lock to lock.
Directly from the RAVE pdf. Have you down loaded it yet?
I would take it to an alignment shop first, at least they might be able to tell you what's wrong since you don't seem to be able to diagnose it on your own.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Well... There's the only alignment that can be done on RRC/D1/D2 - toe angle. And that can be accomplished with a 25-ft stretch of cord.

OTOH... the alignment shop could measure the wheel angles - so it may show you if any of the axle housings is damaged.

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
Well... There's the only alignment that can be done on RRC/D1/D2 - toe angle. And that can be accomplished with a 25-ft stretch of cord.

OTOH... the alignment shop could measure the wheel angles - so it may show you if any of the axle housings is damaged.

And they can probably recognize a damaged front end.

Swedjen2

Sep 12, 2018
California
Steering is a safety issue. Don't half-ass this. I don't want you running into me at 60 MPH 'cuz you couldn't steer correctly. Same as saying your brakes sort'a work but I gotta' pump'em 10 times to stop.
Until you get this fixed properly, you will be legally liable since you admitted your steering is not right and you continue to drive.
Visit a frame shop or Rover repair shop and take care of it A.S.A.P. You got the vehicle on the cheap for a reason, but now it's time to pay the piper.

the deputy

Sep 20, 2017
michigan
Our 03 has a terrible turning radius, compared to the 01. Stops are longer on the 03. Search out getting older shorter version and replace.