Is Champion the best plug for 99' DII?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Copper champions, changed maybe a half dozen times since 98. You guys like to waste money.

Roverfire

Jan 2, 2005
Casper,WY
kennith said:
His engine is thirteen years old. Even if it runs well, it's been around a long time. The RV8 likes to complain when not used properly, and the RV8 complains with carbon.

His coils may be original, or may have been replaced some time ago. If he's running factory replacement plug wires, it adds to the problem. Either way, his ignition system likely isn't at the top of it's game.

Now, consider this:

Platinum is the least conductive center electrode material available in spark plugs today. So, given the gap choices he mentioned, which makes more sense?

Cheers,

Kennith
Coils are original as far as I know. Wires have maybe 40K on them. They're the Karlyn STI wires. My gapping tool didn't have a .044" so I went with .040". It also has .035" & .034".

Last edited:

riceybean

Jun 29, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Ensure that gap of new spark plugs is 1.0 +/-​
0.05 mm (0.040 +/-0.002 in).

From Rave for a D2, so you should be good.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
I got MagneCore wires and just removed the spark plugs.
All the Internet Wizards said MagneCore wires were so good, I'd get hundreds of extra horsepower.
So I just jammed the cables into the plug holes.

I also read that if you want turbo power without the turbo, you should just route the exhaust directly into the intake.
I'm still working on that, cuz I keep melting the plastic air filter box.
Maybe I should remove the air filter to reduce the restriction.

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
I would say to everyone to definitely check the gaps on new spark plugs prior to installing them. Don't break the tip!
Right out the box I had gaps ranging from .033" to .053" for my NGK Iridium IX plugs (#3764).