2000 D2 fog lamps (rectangle OEM)

Stickbow

Aug 28, 2018
GA
The passenger side rectangular OEM fog lamp on my 2k D2 didn't work when I got it. I finally got 'round to troubleshooting to discover that the upper breather tube had broken off, allowing it to literally fill with water (and about a quart of mud that ain't from GA based on the color). I've removed it and rinsed it out, but there is a layer of perma-gunk and parts of the bulb still in there.

I know I can get a replacement bulb, but I need to both clean it and get the broken pieces of the bulb out -- does the housing come apart? I don't see any screws or clips holding it together...

I don't want to get a new (or even a gently used) unit, just keep this one running until I replace the bumper in the not too distant future. I really like running the fog lamps on the back roads I regularly drive -- lets me see the edges of the road.

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly the lens is held to the body with adhesive much like many headlight housings. Bake in the oven at 250 for about 15-20 minutes, and you should be able to gently pry it apart. Reassembly requires another bake, ideally with the pieces clamped together and allowed to cool before removing the clamp.

Stickbow

Aug 28, 2018
GA
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly the lens is held to the body with adhesive much like many headlight housings. Bake in the oven at 250 for about 15-20 minutes, and you should be able to gently pry it apart. Reassembly requires another bake, ideally with the pieces clamped together and allowed to cool before removing the clamp.

Woot. Thank you. I had assumed it required prying it apart, but didn't want to do that and not be able to put it back together - the oven idea is a great one.