General Red Letter Grabber Update

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
They're holding up just fine, even after a long period of sitting. Most others would be dry rotted to hell and back.

Today, I deliberately drove through two containers of roofing nails spread across the road. It was the way least likely to cause a collision, as the other drivers around me were behaving erratically.

15 roofing nails were pulled in a parking lot. Not a single one made it far enough in to cause any issues at all, and these were longer than I remember roofing nails being. Maybe they were for some purpose with which I am unfamiliar.

Regardless, that's what they looked like, and they were about an inch and a quarter long and quite sharp.

All of them bent when they got past the soft outer tread section. I was pretty sure that's what would happen, but I still pulled over to check, as the fellow in the DII with me placed a bet that all four were punctured.

None of them were. :cool:

Now, lots of big meats will survive things like that, but these are only 265/75R16. I've had BFGs punctured in the same size, with the same nails; whatever the hell they're for.

I did roofs for a while, but I don't recall those nails. They did have the plastic rings, but they seemed to be longer. Anyone know what they might have been, or has it just been too long for me to remember how long a roofing nail is supposed to be?

Cheers,

Kennith

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
Are you still giving these away to a lucky winner like you offered to in an earlier thread? Roofing nails included?

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
If you don't do a full tear off you would need longer nails. Or if they were off a nail gun, they just got lazy so they would not have to keep changing nails and use a longer one for everything.

Va_Disco

Dec 22, 2014
Hampton Roads, Va.
At 1-1/4 they are normally considered sheathing nails, but if they had the plastic washer around the head they are nails used for house wrap (like the Tyvek). Either way they will kill most normal tires of that size.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Are you still giving these away to a lucky winner like you offered to in an earlier thread? Roofing nails included?

I'm having a hard time remembering that, but there seems to have been something going on like that with another set. Might have been the defective one that I determined was still perfectly fine for trails and things.

I know I'm still trying to sell those Wranglers. I'll get some more nails as a bonus. I'm sure they'll fit. :rofl:

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Okay, now the nails make sense. Thanks.

I've never partially repaired a roof; only new construction and full replacement.

Never done any sheathing, either, but I'm sure I must have seen them at some point.

Cheers,

Kennith

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
They use the nails with the plastic washers on them for the felt underlayment too. They are 1.25 inches long and they are ribbed too, for pleasure...

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
They use the nails with the plastic washers on them for the felt underlayment too. They are 1.25 inches long and they are ribbed too, for pleasure...

You had to take that from me, didn't you. Here I was trying to think up a "for her pleasure" joke in relation to the ribbing on the nails, but you just snuck it. :rofl:

Cheers,

Kennith