LR3 Reliability

Agent

Jun 20, 2007
WV
Now that these trucks are 10+ years old, how are they aging? Based on my research the 4.4L V8 is solid as is the transmission it's mated with. Suspension bushings seem to go every 50k or so. Seems like the early compressor issues have been largely sorted out. I'm aware of the dash cracking issue on some trucks. How about the electrical system? Is not plagued with gremlins?

I recently sold my last DII and I'm on the hunt for a replacement that will serve as a weekend driver and occasional off-roader. I'm also considering a 100 series Land Cruiser or LX470, but the fact I can pick up a LR3 that is newer and has far less miles and still have money in my pocket is appealing. Not to mention I've been a Rover guy for 20 years and I'm undoubtedly suffering from Stockholm syndrome... :D

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
The engine and transmission is perfect. The rest of the vehicle is kind of a POS in my opinion. A Range Rover from that era is a better choice in terms of reliability. If you plan on on using it off road (not sure why anyone would) I'm guessing the aftermarket support for the LR3 is better.

jim-00-4.6

Sep 30, 2005
Genesee, CO USA
The engine and transmission is perfect. The rest of the vehicle is kind of a POS in my opinion. A Range Rover from that era is a better choice in terms of reliability. If you plan on on using it off road (not sure why anyone would) I'm guessing the aftermarket support for the LR3 is better.

I thought you had to get post-2013 for Range Rovers to significantly improve?
(asking for a friend)

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Transmissions are certainly not perfect. They die when not serviced every 70k. Lifetime fluid is bullshit. I wouldn't buy one much over 70k so I can ensure service is done before damage ensues.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
I thought you had to get post-2013 for Range Rovers to significantly improve?
(asking for a friend)

The 06-09 Range Rover is the most reliable, IMO. 2013+ is a whole other animal and probably out of most peoples price range.

Transmissions are certainly not perfect. They die when not serviced every 70k. Lifetime fluid is bullshit. I wouldn't buy one much over 70k so I can ensure service is done before damage ensues.

This is 100% false. While of course all transmissions fail at some point, ZF makes a great transmission. I have replaced very few over the years, and that is coming from probably the most harsh environment for an automatic transmission (NYC, Long Island, and LA). If the transmission failed in my wife's 06 RR, I would probably just buy a used one from a junkyard because they are so reliable. Can't say I feel the same way about an R380...

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
This is 100% false. While of course all transmissions fail at some point, ZF makes a great transmission. I have replaced very few over the years, and that is coming from probably the most harsh environment for an automatic transmission (NYC, Long Island, and LA). If the transmission failed in my wife's 06 RR, I would probably just buy a used one from a junkyard because they are so reliable. Can't say I feel the same way about an R380...

Search ?transmission? on LR3 forums. Ford trucks have many of the same issues with their version of the ZF.

If pressed, ZF will admit lifetime fluid is undefined, and suggest every 70k. I have a letter from them somewhere.

Mine went toast at 110k and I’ve seen many others experience the same. One poor sap had three failures in one truck.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Search ?transmission? on LR3 forums. Ford trucks have many of the same issues with their version of the ZF.

If pressed, ZF will admit lifetime fluid is undefined, and suggest every 70k. I have a letter from them somewhere.

Mine went toast at 110k and I?ve seen many others experience the same. One poor sap had three failures in one truck.

Some of us know what fails without looking to a google search. Like Jymmiejams I have replaced very few ZF transmissions. If ZF had a problem we would say so. I have seen maybe 3 transmissions need to be replaced. 2 of those broke because some cheap fucker didn't fix a leak and ran it low on fluid.

pinkytoe69

Jan 14, 2012
minnesota
So, is there something up specifically with the LR3 and what it does to transmissions or does ERover live in some sort of cosmic anomaly?

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Unless there's a conspiracy among Jaguar, BMW, Land Rover and Ford owners to seek help online, many are obviously experiencing failure.

Anyways, wonder why the dealer techs don't see issues that plague decade old trucks..

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
So, is there something up specifically with the LR3 and what it does to transmissions or does ERover live in some sort of cosmic anomaly?

The issues are common to all makes mentioned. The ZF 6HP has been around a long time and has evolved much over the years, but its use in the LR3 (and many others) was early, and to pretend they didn't ship faulty units is to ignore reality.

LR Max

May 1, 2004
Hotlanta, GA
Good vehicles. I've had mine for 10 months. They are heavy on maintenance but if you can do it yourself, that helps out A LOT. Diffs need changing often and so do filters. Not hard if you've got tools and ramps.

The MPG is pretty darn good. 16-22 mpg highway (hauling @$$ vs. driving a normal speed) and even 12 mpg while towing my 109.

Its all about condition and how well the car has been maintained. A rust free with records...that the work HAS been done is key. Don't be afraid to go the distance to get a good vehicle. I was lucky and found one 2 hours away. My dad had to drive 4 hours for a decent one.

You need the correct tools to work on these. A good set of trim tools, GAP tool, and metric hex are needed. Initially you'll throw a bunch of money at it. Replacing bits that haven't been addressed or replacing failed items. But once you get it up and going, its pretty reasonable.

Expect a big service every 30k and and 60k. 30k, transfer case, diffs (maybe even brakes and tires, I forget if that issue has been addressed). 60k, transmission and front control arms.

A 100 series IS a 100 series. Its like a 80 series...but better. If you can't fathom turning a wrench on a vehicle, then that is the obvious choice. But if you want better on and off road performance out of the box, then the LR3. Also the interior is a bit bigger in the LR3 (or how I perceive it) and towing is better. The LR3 is just a better vehicle outside of maintenance. I have driven both and if I had both keys in my pocket, I'd pick the LR3 everytime.

Also the air suspension is friggen awesome.

SafariDave

Sep 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Both of our 05 LR3's V8 SE's have been great and very reliable. Mine has 112K I have owned it for 8 years, it's been a solid truck. Driven it cross country from NYC to Los Angeles 4 times in one year in snow storms and off road it in 112F in the desert and rocky terrain in Cali. LA traffic and NYC traffic. Drives great! It has never let me down. Did Diff fluids and TC fluid with BG at 65K, again at 90K, did Transmission fluid and filter at 85K it had no leaks and it was clean. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Just my story.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Now that these trucks are 10+ years old, how are they aging? Based on my research the 4.4L V8 is solid as is the transmission it's mated with. Suspension bushings seem to go every 50k or so. Seems like the early compressor issues have been largely sorted out. I'm aware of the dash cracking issue on some trucks. How about the electrical system? Is not plagued with gremlins?

I recently sold my last DII and I'm on the hunt for a replacement that will serve as a weekend driver and occasional off-roader. I'm also considering a 100 series Land Cruiser or LX470, but the fact I can pick up a LR3 that is newer and has far less miles and still have money in my pocket is appealing. Not to mention I've been a Rover guy for 20 years and I'm undoubtedly suffering from Stockholm syndrome... :D

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I don't think they are holding up well. It has its own fair share of gremlins. I think ALL the dashes crack eventually. They all need lower control arms, suspension compressors, splices, trans shifter bushings, trans pan and connector sleeves. And then some

jwest

May 28, 2006
WA & NC
If you plan on on using it off road (not sure why anyone would)

cuz it's an awesome magic carpet ride when modified properly. I use BFG km2 285/70x18 which is almost 34" and set to 22 psi. (strut spacers are required) It's fabulous now