Anyone Have a Copy of The Mantec Template for the DII?

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I'm finally getting that snorkel back on, and I don't have the panel I used before, nor do I have the template.

I've got a blank fender and a fender I cut for something else.

I know it sucks, but it's better than nothing.

Cheers,

Kennith

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
attachment.php

from here:
https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/43277-Home-made-snorkel?p=910050#post910050

This is the template supplied with the Mantec raised air intake. Because I'm not sure how this image will be resized, I've added the red '40mm' reference. Print out so that Y of the page is 210mm, ie. A4 width, and the marked distance from the wing's edge on the door side is 40mm.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
That template sucks. It was so far off the when I mounted mine. I just cut a bit, test fit, cut a bit, test, cut....a hundred times over.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
That template sucks. It was so far off the when I mounted mine. I just cut a bit, test fit, cut a bit, test, cut....a hundred times over.

Yeah, I'm just going to use it as a guide. I'm going to start with the panel that already has a hole, just in case. It's in the wrong spot, but it's not too far off. Should still look decent.

After all this weather stuff, I'll do it properly on the other panel if I need to. I intend to make a template that doesn't suck in a vector program after the fact, and I'll provide it here for everyone.

What I'll do with the blank panel is drill a 1/2" hole and cut a line through it, and start chewing it from there out until I get it right to make a better template.

Honestly, the Safari snorkel is a superior design, minus adding a bit of fender-removal frustration, but most people don't take them off often.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
For the first run, how much of that hole and rubber is actually holding the snorkel in place? Any of it?

This one might be a touch loose, but I'm not sure if that matters at this point. I've completely forgotten.

Damned if I haven't had to re-learn a bunch of shit lately... It fucking sucks.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
The hole is merely an escape hatch for the snorkel, it doesn't hold it in place at all.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
couple more

The template gave me too much space aft of the snorkel (black arrow) and I had to keep chipping away at the fore-end (red arrow)

the black bracket affixed to the bottom end of the rigid snorkel pipe (last picture in post above with 2 silver screws) also didn't fit very well on the inner fender.

Overall, the fit was not that great. When reinstalling the fender, it barely fit over the snorkel piping and I really had to lay into it to get the fender mounting screws back in their holes. It still bulges out a bit and the hood-fender gap is a few mm too wide.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
That link reminded me of the upper mount attaching to the gutter. That was the one part that actually fit fine! With that bolted in the snorkel is really solid.

Mantec was the only option for me because I just do not like the look of the black plastic running down the fender. It rides up the A pillar perfectly and you have to consciously try to see it from the driver’s seat. But you can hear it with the window down and it sounds great.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
Damn that vehicle is slick as snot on a doorknob. It's an extremely good setup for longer distance trips.

Those pictures and notes are going to come in handy, as well. Much appreciated.

Mine's in a bit of a poor state at the moment, but it'll get back there eventually. :)

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I think I'm remembering the Southdown unit, because I certainly haven't encountered this before.

Nope. I'm not installing it. I'll sell it and buy a Safari, or just make my own.

Now, I'm missing a bit of sheet metal there, but we took great pains to ensure it was all lining up as best as possible.

I'm fairly certain there's only about 1/16" to 1/8" of clearance on a good day and a perfect truck. I don't think so. Fuck that. It's just not going under that fender, and the only way to make it happen would be to slice off a section and weld in a flat. I'd rather sell it and get something better.

Here I was hoping I'd have her breathing a little better for this hurricane. Not going to happen. At least I've got the intake routed to the fender again, rather than sucking up hot air in the engine like it's been doing the past few months, though.

I'll section that area and rebuild it later for a proper install. For now, no raised air intake for me. Hell, the one I made and sold a while back fit much better.

Cheers,

Kennith

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
The real problem is the raised ribs on each end of the rubber flex hose (where the hose clamps fit). The fender doesn’t quite clear the raised rubber. I could feel my fender squishing the rubber as I remounted the fender. I was going to pull the fender back off and shave down the rubber but by that point in the project I was like Fuck it, I got this and I just leaned hard on the fender and got the screws in. I’d imagine that some trucks have no fit issues and some trucks do....all these Discos vary a bit in fit & finish on the bodies. Add in 14 years of hard use and it’s not surprising to have some fitment issues.

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
What area do you have to section and why has no one else had to?

Nothing special. I cut some out of that area a while back trying another design, and had to park the vehicle before I finished.

I'd intended to replace the ABS modulator with an in-line filter and just have a single bend in a full diameter intake pipe rising to just below the rack area. Doesn't matter now, because I'm going to try to get the ABS stuff working.

That said, I'm hitting the tube itself. I was a touch frustrated due to the mosquitoes last night, so I'll screw with it just a little more, but I'm not going to spend too much time on it right now.

Either it'll drop in with some adjustment to the panel or it won't. Right now, I'm a half inch off without the rubber in the middle.

I could make this work, but I don't have time unless I get lucky. Best to just button it back up for now if a few minutes of staring doesn't cure it. I can get to it after the storm; it's not as if it's required.

Honestly, I just kind of wanted it on there for the fun factor in this potential bad weather and to cool the charge.

The air intake is not particularly vulnerable to begin with.

Cheers,

Kennith

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
The real problem is the raised ribs on each end of the rubber flex hose (where the hose clamps fit). The fender doesn?t quite clear the raised rubber. I could feel my fender squishing the rubber as I remounted the fender. I was going to pull the fender back off and shave down the rubber but by that point in the project I was like Fuck it, I got this and I just leaned hard on the fender and got the screws in. I?d imagine that some trucks have no fit issues and some trucks do....all these Discos vary a bit in fit & finish on the bodies. Add in 14 years of hard use and it?s not surprising to have some fitment issues.

I'm fairly sure my body is within specification up there, but even if it's not, this design is just too tight to be sensible.

I know the 2000's were like the 1920's for Land Rover, but damn... Sometimes round isn't the answer.

What they were thinking is obvious, but it could have been a bit cleaner.

I'm not going to argue with the looks, though. They do look awesome. It's not going to look as good on mine as yours, though, without some cosmetic work on the vehicle after all that time sitting.

A better use of my time today is running new axle breathers. The raised air intake is just a bit of fun and noisy eye-candy and cooler air.

Cheers,

Kennith