Trip info

DougG

Oct 7, 2006
Cooperstown NY
I'm going on a cruise in July from Boston to Montreal. We will be spending full days in Bar Harbor Maine, Halifax Nova Scotia, Sydney Nova Scotia, Charlottetown PEI and Quebec City.

Has anyone been to any of these places and could suggest places to see, things to do, best pubs etc...

Thanks

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
I've been to all of them quite a few times, so here's some input for what's it's worth.

Bar Harbor:
It's a very touristly town and not my favorite coastal town in ME for that reason. But if you get over to Acadia and do some hiking, biking, carriage rides, then do so. Plenty of good local places to hang out in for drinks for sure. The Thirsty Whale is a local hang out. A few of my favorites are now gone/rebuilt. Dog & Pony Tavern is another cool place to hang out. Seems to be pretty local too. It's my favorite spot that I've been to in town. Off the main streets/touristy spots. Stewman's on the waterfront was always a good spot for traditional Maine food, but it's been many years. They tore down the original one and rebuilt. But since it's down on the waterfront, it will be a busy spot. Still very nice view of the narrows.

The best town of all of them is Quebec City. It's one of my favorites cities in North America by a long shot. Very European in scale and overall a cool place to spend a few days. Do the tour of the "fort" - it's actually pretty interesting. Walk down Rue Saint Louis - there are a ton of great outdoor cafes along the top section of this street. Once you enter the "walled" section of the city it's quite a few small shops and little bars until you get down to the waterfront and plaza area. Stay to the left around the green and there are lots of art vendors and more shops/bars. I believe it la Fabrique - a very nice/cool street with quite a few good restaurants and bars. I've spent most of my time at those cafes on Saint Louis and Fabrique to be honest. Did the tour of the fort and tooled around the famous Hotel Frontenac. I am guessing you'll be coming from the opposite direction though - I am coming from the top where the hotels are.

Sydney NC: Not a whole lot going on here. I've only hung out here because the ferry comes in and out of here to Newfoundland. It would be cool if you had the time to take the ferry to the French owned islands of St. Pierre and Miquelon. If that's possible, do it.

Halifax: Still somewhat "industrial" by Nova Scotia standards. The popular beer up there sucks in my opinion, as does most main stream Canadian beer. But the beer scene has gotten better here. Just Google them, but stay away from Alexander Keiths. It's shit. Stick to 2 Crows and North Brewing - there are others too, but don't remember names.

PEI: It's been too long since I've been there and honestly don't remember much of anything in terms of specifics/places. But hopefully someone can chime in that's been there more recently.

Unfortunately cruise ships are taking you to the less than great places of Nova Scotia. I have spent a lot of time in Cape Breton and the south shore where my family has had a house just outside of Lunenburg. The small villages are really nice with some great coast line.

I'll add more as I remember stuff.

DougG

Oct 7, 2006
Cooperstown NY
Thanks Garrett. I was hoping you would chime in. You have always steered me in the right direction in the past with trips. You should start a Discoweb travel guide.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Thanks Garrett. I was hoping you would chime in. You have always steered me in the right direction in the past with trips. You should start a Discoweb travel guide.

I wish I spent more time up in Maine and eastern Canada. So many great areas. It's been too long since I've done a big "tour" up there.

Montreal is awesome too. When I lived in VT we'd head up there quite frequently since it was just over an hour from where I lived in Burlington. Ste. Catherine Street is lots of fun! Up around McGill University there is a ton of cool spots too. But most people hang out in Old Montreal down near the St. Lawrence River.

I was training some Canadian SF guys a few weeks ago and all we talked about were places we've been, bars, etc. Good times.

You staying in Montreal? If so where?

Don't believe the hype that French Canadian's are assholes. In all my travels though Quebec, I've never had an issue with anyone. Now Ontario and Quebec don't always get along, but that's internal. hah.

DougG

Oct 7, 2006
Cooperstown NY
A cruise is definitely not my first choice, but my in-laws are taking us(wife, two kids). Just want to make the best of it, and not do the typical tourist stuff when we get a chance to get off the boat.

I think I'm looking forward to Quebec City the most. Our cruise ends in Montreal, but unfortunately, we will not be able to spend much time there. Montreal is only a 4 hour drive for us anyway, so we plan on visiting in the future.

Thanks

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
My only tip is that Boston is the most confusing place I've ever visited. Thought I'd never get off that damned spaghetti highway thing; and it tortured me by showing me a Boston Market repeatedly (my favorite restaurant in the world) that was clearly impossible to reach within the bounds of law.

If you ever get to that thing, take a picture; because I'm not sure it's actually accessible.

Completely gave up on Four Seasons, and ended up staying in some place called Onyx, I think. Maybe not. A bit too modern for my personal taste regardless, but by the gods I'd have stayed in a Motel 6 at that point. Never been so damned lost in my life.

On the bright side, some British female group was having a party there that night. Got too drunk to remember much else aside from "fun" and some damned grade-schooler running out to the lounges and punching me in the face for what he apparently interpreted incorrectly between myself and what turned out to be his mother.

Kid must have been 8 or 9. Tough little fucker. I sure wouldn't punch me. :rofl:

Left the next morning to test drive a prototype M6 from 1980something. Didn't like it. Went home. Never going back. I've been to some fucked up places in my time, but never have I had that much trouble finding my way around. Hell, Nairobi alleys make more sense.

Cheers,

Kennith

DougG

Oct 7, 2006
Cooperstown NY
Been to Boston many times and know my way around pretty well so not worried about Boston. The key with travel there is to use the "T". Best way to get around.

ME Island

If you decide to come to Maine, PM me and I’ll provide you with a fine itinerary of “real Maine.” There’s a terrific network of enthusiasts [Downeast Land Rover Club] who will show you the state.

The best way to see Boston is to walk it. You can leave your Land Rover at parking lots on the outskirts of the city and use public transportation to get in to it very walkable sections.

Jeff

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
My only tip is that Boston is the most confusing place I've ever visited. Thought I'd never get off that damned spaghetti highway thing;

Boston was basically a bunch of horse trails from the mid 1600's that were paved over to later become gigantic potholes....;)