Recommendations for Synthetic Winch Line/Rope?

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
What a bizarre discussion about shackles...
Always had them out, never stolen. There are hundreds or thousands of jeeps around SoCal with all sorts of offroad goodies outside, I have never heard of anything being stolen, either.

Hi-Lift jack is a different matter. On the scale of (utility - liability)/weight it is pretty low already, and having one outside makes this scale negative pretty quickly.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Hi-Lift jack is a different matter. On the scale of (utility - liability)/weight it is pretty low already, and having one outside makes this scale negative pretty quickly.

Im told they have their place, but every time Ive used a highlift I wished I had a bottle jack

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
What a bizarre discussion about shackles...
Always had them out, never stolen. There are hundreds or thousands of jeeps around SoCal with all sorts of offroad goodies outside, I have never heard of anything being stolen, either.

Agreed, having a hilift, shovel, sand ladders, Jerry cans, etc. permanently mounted is stupid.

K-rover

Jan 15, 2010
Raleigh, NC
If you guys havent had any negative experiences by leaving your shackles attached, then by all means dont let me stop you. I have seen enough of them get seized on so I just keep them inside. Mostly using soft shackles now anyway. Damn sure not leaving those out for obvious reasons.

I had a 48" highlift living in the rear floorboard of my D2. It fit perfectly and kept the weight down low and out of the elements. When I went to a 4" lift it became pointless. I need a 60" but good luck fitting that inside the truck so Im without for now. Ive gotten to use and watch others use a Highlift enough to know it has its place. Mostly for the IFS guys. You can do a jack and cast, or jack and stack. For changing a tire, I use the factory bottle jack and a block of wood, or even the highlift base works with the jack.

Me practicing a jack and cast.
23315887_2014021308876744_38698034_n.jpg

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I never understood the advantage to leaving the shackles attached to the outside of the truck.
Cons:
Exposed to the elements
Seizing of the pin
Theft
Paint wear on your bumper
Still have to take it off to attach a strap

Pros:
Looking badass at the mall

The only time I've left a shackle on my bumper is when I had no other place to attach my winch hook. Even then all other shackles come off.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
I guess I just don't care enough for the shackles.
When I worked at Scripps, we used and stored them in all sorts of condition - including in and out of seawater for days at a time. At a point, the pin becomes a bitch to turn - the shackle goes into a pile.
I still have a few U.S.-made Crosby shackles left from this time.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
What's the best way for me to anchor my synthetic line to my winch drum? Superwinch EP9.0. Had the wire rope run through the drum with a set screw. Photos of what I'm workin with are attached.

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/Sup...h-Rope-S-Series-Installation-Instructions.pdf

I had to trim a line or 2 out of the bundle to get it to fit through the hole. I read somewhere else to do that, in a splicing guide or something. I staggered the lines I cut so I did not have a hard edge at that point.

Hey, cool, just what I was looking for. I googled and everything and didn't find that. I'll definitely have to trim my 7/16" down to make it fit in the hole (that's what she said).

Blue

Mar 26, 2004
AZ
Not sure I like the idea of wrapping duct tape around the steel drum...

CORover

Jun 11, 2007
Colorado, USA
The tape is only keeping the pigtail in place, nothing else. Don't use duct tape, use elec tape or painters tape. If your brake is outside the drum like on the EPI 9.0 mentioned, it won't melt.