Intermittent Speedometer - Consistent Speed Output on Ultragauge

_ExpeditionMan

Dec 11, 2017
Texas
All,

My speedometer functions approximately once every 10 drives and when it does work springs into action once in double digit speeds. When this occurs the speedometer works until the vehicle is turned off and then generally fails to function on the next drive, regardless of time between starts. Based on my research my first suspect would be an issue with the VSS, however I am not getting any drive-ability issues and my Ultragauge displays my speed consistently with no jumps or randomness whatsoever. The connections on the back of speedometer unit are tight and nothing looks damaged. Has anyone successfully troubleshooted this and found it to be something other than the VSS?

Jonathon

JUKE179r

Sep 14, 2016
Suffolkshire, UK
The power source for the speedometer is tapped from an air temp controller wire.
Check the RAVE wiring diagram for Header 0290 on page 75 or 142. There is a pink & green wire going from jack 16 on the instrument panel connector for the speedometer and following it back to an A27 and then to Header 0290 connection jack 13 .
Check those areas securely attached and connected.

_ExpeditionMan

Dec 11, 2017
Texas
The power source for the speedometer is tapped from an air temp controller wire.
Check the RAVE wiring diagram for Header 0290 on page 75 or 142. There is a pink & green wire going from jack 16 on the instrument panel connector for the speedometer and following it back to an A27 and then to Header 0290 connection jack 13 .
Check those areas securely attached and connected.

Thanks for the response. Is this for D1's and D2's? I will check into this shortly and report back.