Bought a 2003 DII. CDL question.

BigLouAamich

Mar 30, 2014
Burke Virginia
Couldn't stand not having a Disco any more. So now I'm in the market for a CDL. One quick question. The local Junk Yard just got in a 96. Can I pull the CDL from the front of the transfer case and other bits or is it not compatible and I need to pull from a Disco 2 with one?

ezzzzzzz

Apr 22, 2010
SE Va
I swapped in a earlier D1 front housing into my 02 D2. In my case, there is wiring for 2 switches that tell the SLABS low range is engaged. The D1 housing only had one switch on top and just in front of the lockout solenoid. There was no switch in the housing just in front of the low range shift assembly (it would face forward on a horizonal angle). I had to wire in a switch which I mounted in the dash for this purpose. Without that switch the hill descent would not work. The low range/diff lock functioned normally since it's all mechanical anyhow.

BigLouAamich

Mar 30, 2014
Burke Virginia
I might go that route. I need to check the other yard I go to. They show a 2004 in the inventory. If that one isn't viable I'll pull the one from the D1.

I swapped in a earlier D1 front housing into my 02 D2. In my case, there is w airing for 2 switches that tell the SLABS low range is engaged. The D1 housing only had one switch on top and just in front of the lockout solenoid. There was no switch in the housing just in front of the low range shift assembly (it would face forward on a horizonal angle). I had to wire in a switch which I mounted in the dash for this purpose. Without that switch the hill descent would not work. The low range/diff lock functioned normally since it's all mechanical anyhow.

BigLouAamich

Mar 30, 2014
Burke Virginia
I swapped out the front of the Tcase I bought off Will and got everything back together. Saving the 2004 main Tcase as a spare. Like an idiot I didn't check the switch that turns on the light on the dash. It's wired correctly. I checked that before I put it all back together. Anybody have any luck replacing that switch from the bottom. I'm not in the mood to take the console and everything back off. I have a working CDL now so I'm just going to live with it for a while if I can't get to it from underneath.