2003 Battery drain

nedarb2

Apr 28, 2018
canada
I usually drive my disco every day, but last week it sat for 5 days and when I jumped in to start it the battery would just barely turn the engine over.
This week I decided to look into the battery drainage.
The alternator is good and regulates, I?m 100% sure of that. (Although I?ve heard the alternator can draw current and kill batteries if there?s a bad internal circuit, but let?s assume that?s not the case for now).
First thing I did was charge the battery and unhooked it from the car, to see if it was bad or draining on it?s own. After 2 days it was fine and holding about 12.9 volts.
I then put the battery back in, and when hooked up to he truck the voltage was reading 12.65volts installed.

Then I took off the negative lead and put an ammeter inline. The amps were fluctuating between 0.01 and 0.07 one evening when I checked, 0.01 and 0.04 another time, and 0.01 and 0.03 another.
I?m fine with and think up to 0.03 is ok; so it?s the intermittent 0.04-0.07 draw I?m worried about. I started pulling fuses but couldn?t get it to consistently stay in that range long enough to work through them.
Truck does not have and never had air leveling suspension, which seems to be the most common reason for battery drainage.
Is there a sequence of shutting the truck down and waiting times for computers and etc. to shut down I need to follow, or any good write ups on tracking down and measuring parasitic drains in a 2003 disco?

squirt

Nov 13, 2008
Los Angeles
Do you have any aftermarket electrical equipment? (stereo/lights/bluetooth OBD2 reader/always-on phone charger)

That parasitic draw is not absurd, but the high numbers you're seeing are too much.

Most methodical way of tracking it down is pulling fuses one at a time.

nedarb2

Apr 28, 2018
canada
Nope nothing aftermarket.
I hooked up the battery again last night and I’m going to check the voltage everyday for the next few days and see what is happening as it sits there. I just had spine surgery so I can’t drive for a month now... good time to play with this :) the girl friend just gets mad when I make her open and close the hood all day, my weight lifting restriction is pretty much the ammeter, ha!

Icannap1

Mar 3, 2015
OC, CA
X2 on a tracking device sometimes when a car is sold new the dealership will preload the cars on the lot to save money on insurance and when a customer purchase the car they offer you the option to buy it but if you do or don't either way it is left in the vehicle. Most tracking devices will have a main module, an antenna with double sided foam for attaching, and a battery backup so if the thief pulls the battery it can still be located. As with any battery it eventually stops taking a charge the battery life is around 5 years so what happens when a battery goes bad it begins to drain the car battery as it is attempting to charge the bad battery backup.