Rover 2.0

KngTgr

May 20, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Hey Dan, do you have a plan for Rover 3.0? I am going to use 2.0 as my guide for now, anything you would do different for 3.0?

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island
Hey Dan, do you have a plan for Rover 3.0? I am going to use 2.0 as my guide for now, anything you would do different for 3.0?

I'd start with your no-brainer items.
Magnetic drain plugs in your diffs
Brass radiator plug
PIAA or ARB headlight wiring harness
Convex drivers mirror
Seamless expansion tank
Etc...

Plan your aftermarket wiring. You'll probably want to run a heavy gauge wire to the cargo area. But think about if you're going to want aux. lighting and where, CB/HAM radio, fridge, etc... Pull the seats out to run your wiring and do it neatly and do it once. Consider some Street Wires power distribution blocks or Blue Sea fuse box for future accessories.

You can never have too many 12v plugs.

When you start picking your "heavy duty" gear, try to keep it stock looking. If I see you put on some red or gold tie rod/drag link I'm going to slash your tires. Rockware makes some nice stock looking kit.

Use spring isolators and get black springs. If you get red or yellow or blue springs I'm going to slash your tires.

Buy a name brand winch.

No LED light bars. I will slash your tires.

See if you can score an old Rovers North D1 rear bumper, then weld the Jack-all holes shut. I have no idea where you can find one, but that's probably the best looking bumper ever available for the rear. Rumor has it Ray Garber is hording one.

If you use ARB lockers, opt for the HD line sets. They're really nice. But I like the looks of the Ashcroft lockers these days. If you get new diffs and they're red or green, I'm going to slash your tires.

If you put white letters out, I'm going to slash your tires.

I doubt I'd install a snorkel again.

I doubt I would install a gas tank skid again. I don't think it ever even got scratched.

I like the color of your new hooptie. It's going to look good when you're done.

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Dig up Ben Little's FS thread for his D1 over on ExPo or on EE. There's another nice list of mods and parts on the first page of the thread "The Difference a Couple of Hours Can Make" which is also on the EE BBS.

1920SF

Jan 6, 2007
NoVA
Not hoarding the rear bumper scored off Will awhile back, it went straight on my 5speed.

As an aside we may argue about many things but Dan's list is spot on for how to put together a solid tasteful D1z. There is something sublime about that platform and most of the time less is more with them. Only took me 3 to figure that out.

KngTgr

May 20, 2005
Fairfax, VA
I agree, I'll star looking for step by step electrical installation guides next, power inverter, 2 amps, aux lighting, switch plates, fuse block, etc

Howski

Oct 19, 2009
Alabama
X2 on what Ray said. If only there'd been a similar list or build for DII's I could've followed in my younger years before I went overboard

KngTgr

May 20, 2005
Fairfax, VA
Another mandatory item every D1 needs is a convex mirror on the drivers side. You rarely see these. A convex mirror is one of the very first modifications I did to the truck and I do not have a before photo. But here is the field-of-view with a convex mirror. There mirrors are not expensive, but it's one of the little things that make your truck better.

205903_10151380132957262_73908787_n.jpg

Where did you get this? I have searched everywhere, Is it a DII?

Jan 3, 2005
On Kennith's private island

DiscoPhoto

Jul 23, 2012
Vermont
CRD100650 costs more than $45 direct from LR, so you're likely referencing an outdated price.

Looking back in the history, they used to be $24 from LR in 2012

SCSL

Apr 27, 2005
I gotta say Dan, I use my ladder a lot. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to throw bales of hay off my rack. It's especially nice because I can get up there quickly enough without getting a curious horse nose up the butt.

Late to the party. So glad I'm not the only one who's carried squares on their roof rack....

Nomar

Apr 23, 2004
Virginia
Note to self...get a snorkel

Well... I was at Rausch Creek PA last weekend and I was blindly following Trevor G and Devildog/Brett when we ended up at some place called Lake Christie.
Hood deep water had me thinking about snorkels again.
My air filter got damp.
Just the tip, though.