Flat towing a Discovery 1

terryjm1

Jan 23, 2011
I have flat (all 4 wheels on the pavement) towed 2 wheel drive small cars but not a Discovery or other 4 wheel drive vehicle.

I have some questions. Can I just put the transfer case in neutral and the gearbox out of gear or do I need to disconnect the driveshafts?

Also, is the bumper strong enough for me to bolt the tow bar mounts directly to it by drilling holes in it for the mounts.

I will be traveling about 1100 miles.

It is a 5 speed manual gearbox.

Thanks in advance!

BarryO

May 15, 2018
Bend, OR
According to the D1 manual under "Vehicle Recovery", towing on a flatbed is the best method. But it can be towed with both tranny and transfer case in neutral, diff lock unlocked, and steering unlocked.

If it were me, I'd only attach the tow bar to the frame

terryjm1

Jan 23, 2011
I have seen Defenders with tow bar mounts mounted directly to the bumper. The other vehicles I have towed I pulled the bumpers and mounted direct to the frame. Anyone know if there is a specific mount made to connect a generic tow bar to the Disco frame?

I have also disconnected the driveshafts but with the Disco I lose the parking brake if I do that.

WaltNYC

Mar 3, 2010
NYC
According to the D1 manual under "Vehicle Recovery", towing on a flatbed is the best method. But it can be towed with both tranny and transfer case in neutral, diff lock unlocked, and steering unlocked.

If it were me, I'd only attach the tow bar to the frame

Steering UNlocked? I suspect that is a typo.

Agreed on the rest.

bendts

Jan 27, 2015
Farmland
I flat tow my D2 behind my RV all over and have for years now.

Move gear selector to Neutral, Put transfer case into Neutral, put gear selector back into Park. Leave steering unlocked and have charge wire coming from RV to keep battery charged (computers are on) while towing.

While I have a Auto trans, I would think it would be the same for a manual, but just leave the trans in Neutral too.

Tow Bar info -

http://www.hitchsource.com/roadmast...s-95-98-land-rover-discovery-lse-p-28386.html

http://www.hitchsource.com/roadmaster-xl-tow-bar-brackets-99-04-land-rover-discovery-ii-p-28382.html

Reactions: tpsykes

bendts

Jan 27, 2015
Farmland
Also, is the bumper strong enough for me to bolt the tow bar mounts directly to it by drilling holes in it for the mounts.

Thanks in advance!

God No - the stock bumpers are thing cheap easily tweaked steel. May hold up to a 5 mph bump.

terryjm1

Jan 23, 2011
Thanks for all the comments and information. I am going to buy some square steel tube, mount it in place of the bumper, and attach my tow bar mounts to the tube. Everything posted here confirms towing with the transfer case and gearbox in neutral should be aok